This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constant Bloating

Ginger1012

Ginger1012 Explorer

I have had severe constant bloating for many years. I have diagnosed with celiac diseases about two months ago and have been gluten free since. My skin rashes and constant nausea have improved a little, but the bloating is much worse. Is this because of celiac? If so how long will it take for bloating to settle down?  Is it because my stomach is inflamed? My stomach also gets full and bloated easily, but I am Always hungry. I constantly want to eat since I started eating gluten free. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Ginger,

The bloating probably is due to celiac disease.  But there are things you can do to alleviate it.  If you are eating dairy, stop.  At least for a couple months.  If you are eating sugar or other carbs, or processed foods, stop.  Wait a month or 2 before trying to add foods back one at a time.

Also, try some probiotics, and some digestive enzymes with meals.

Also, the time to recover from celiac disease damage varies greatly.  A year or more is very possible.  The auto-immune reaction doesn't stop a few days after eating gluten.  It can continue for weeks or months.   Any slight amount of gluten can kick the AI reaction into high gear again.  So it's helpful avoid any risk of gluten exposure.  That's where eating a whole foods diet of meats, veggies, eggs, nuts can help.  There is much less chance of getting glutened eating whole foods than processed foods.

Welcome to the forum Ginger! :)  It does get better in time!

Ginger1012 Explorer

Thanks for the advice. 

cristiana Veteran

Dairy is definitely the thing to put on hold for a while -  you may eventually like to introduce some hard cheese like cheddar which I could tolerate for months before I went back to drinking milk again.

Best to avoid tight waistbands if you can because even four years after diagnosis I find that I still get quite bloated at times and tight belts are painful in a way they never were before.

Peppermint tea helps some people if they are suffering from trapped wind.

Walking helps too, I find.

PamelaB Newbie

I agree that it can take years to feel completely healed and then you still might have some less than good days. Being celiac will be a lifelong challenge but you will become a very exceptional cook of gluten free meals. 

As for the bloating, have you considered SIBO. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. The symptoms often mimic IBS and Celiac Disease. I know because I have it all. Research it and see what you think. Just another idea. Stay strong!

John EK Newbie

I've had celiac for seven years and have had off and on bloating, so i "feel your pain".  I can tell you that for me i figured out that if i completely avoid dairy and cut down greatly on all sugar AND fruit, my bloating will subside within a few days.  Works every time for me!  I think it is related to the presence of candida in my gut.

Archived