This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anxiety

5143Betty

5143Betty Rookie

Hi, new here and this is my first post so please be kind. I'm wondering if anyone has suffered anxiety and panic attacks? I have struggled since childhood and recently decided to go gluten free to see if that helped. It was an amazing difference almost right away! Within days my severe anxiety had reduced drastically, and I feel like a whole new person. I'm hopeful to get my life back.  I had no idea that I had to be eating gluten to get tested, and now I feel so good after 3 months that I don't want to go back.  If you've had a reduction in anxiety or panic I'd love to hear about it. I really feel like I could've lived a better life had I known this sooner. When I tell people, they usually nod and smile, like I've bought into a fad diet. Thanks in advance for your info.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Welcome to the forum Betty! :)

You are correct, you have to eat gluten for 12 weeks prior to the blood tests, and 2 weeks prior to the endoscopy.   Many people go on the gluten-free diet without testing.  Some doctors will tell people to try out the gluten-free diet, and then get tested! :( Eeeks!

There is also a gene test which doesn't prove you have celiac disease, but does show if you have the genes that could allow it to develop.  The gene tests can be done anytime.  But about 30% of people in the USA have one of the  genes, while only about 1% have celiac disease.

You can find quite a few threads discussing anxiety on the forum.  Also, anger and depression and insomnia.  Try doing a search using the magnifer tool at top right of the page to find them.

It's great that you are feeling better!  My anxiety and depression and anger all faded away after going gluten-free.  It's a  great change! :)

Nikkiann Apprentice

Hello! I'm glad you're feeling better. It says 12 weeks, but it can be very little. A few crackers a day or something like that. It's worth it, though, to know for sure and see other things too. Good luck!

Jmg Mentor

Welcome Betty :)

On 3/27/2017 at 6:14 PM, 5143Betty said:

I'm wondering if anyone has suffered anxiety and panic attacks?

Yes! I could pretty much have written your post myself. 

I know exactly how you feel and how little the thought of going back on gluten appeals now you're feeling so much better. You have a tough decision to take. There's a forum faq stickied above and I tried to collect some answers and useful links awhile ago in this thread: 

Hopefully they are of some help :)

If its any consolation, many of the people here did exactly the same as you in removing gluten, realising it had a big effect then finding out that they should've been tested beforehand. I did it and managed 8 weeks of a challenge before testing negative for coeliac. I tell you this because you should know that even if you test negative it could be worth removing gluten from your diet as there are some that test negative but still react to gluten.

Whether you choose to test or not, you've found a great site here and there's lots of good information and support available. Everyone here understands just how lifechanging your discover is to you and how bittersweet the realisation can be too. 

Best of luck to you!

5143Betty Rookie

Thank you all so much.  It's so great to know there are people out there that have shared my experience. I was feeling quite alone in this. I could never believe that I just had anxiety, and that was that. There has to be a reason for my body to act this way. I feel validated,and hopeful and that's a huge thing for me. I'm going to see my doctor next week, and see what she thinks. I'm hopeful that with all my symptoms (anxiety, skin rashes for months, sensitivity to light|sound, headaches, vertigo, temper) she won't shrug me off. My mom has Crohn's disease so maybe a connection. Thanks again for your advice and your ear, it truly helps.

AnonyousCda Contributor

Any good Doctor/nurse will notice the symptoms to gluten allergies.  Weak knees, weak ankles.   Check out if  you need to take more vitamin D. And any other vitamins/supplements.

kareng Grand Master
8 hours ago, AnonyousCda said:

Any good Doctor/nurse will notice the symptoms to gluten allergies.  Weak knees, weak ankles.   Check out if  you need to take more vitamin D. And any other vitamins/supplements.

Just for your information - Celiac disease is not a "gluten allergy".  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jmg Mentor
16 hours ago, 5143Betty said:

I'm going to see my doctor next week, and see what she thinks. I'm hopeful that with all my symptoms (anxiety, skin rashes for months, sensitivity to light|sound, headaches, vertigo, temper) she won't shrug me off. My mom has Crohn's disease so maybe a connection. 

One suggestion. Write a short note detailing your symptoms, familial history and your reaction to the gluten free diet. It's so easy when speaking to the dr to either forget to mention something or waffle too much so they lose interest. I found some short bullet points helped keep me focused and ensured I didn't miss anything important.

you can also give some thought to if your prepared for doing a gluten challenge in order to get a diagnosis. There's no point asking for a blood test unless your ingesting gluten for 8-12 weeks beforehand. 

Best of luck Betty!

Lakme Rookie
On 3/27/2017 at 10:14 AM, 5143Betty said:

Hi, new here and this is my first post so please be kind. I'm wondering if anyone has suffered anxiety and panic attacks? I have struggled since childhood and recently decided to go gluten free to see if that helped. It was an amazing difference almost right away! Within days my severe anxiety had reduced drastically, and I feel like a whole new person. I'm hopeful to get my life back.  I had no idea that I had to be eating gluten to get tested, and now I feel so good after 3 months that I don't want to go back.  If you've had a reduction in anxiety or panic I'd love to hear about it. I really feel like I could've lived a better life had I known this sooner. When I tell people, they usually nod and smile, like I've bought into a fad diet. Thanks in advance for your info.

I've been suffering from anxiety and depression since I was a kid. It wasn't until my symptoms showed up last year that my anxiety really went through the roof. I think a lot of people can relate to you in terms of anxiety, and this seems to be aggravated by the number of symptoms that a celiac can experience while going through the process of trying to figure out what is wrong and working with doctors to achieve a diagnosis.

Archived