This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Too much sugar?

KathleenH

KathleenH Enthusiast

Hi guys. So I've been trying to adjust to my new diet but I've also been trying to watch my weight. I noticed lately that I'm having a lot of fresh fruits and veggies which is great but I notice my sugar intake is really high (98% which are natural sugars). I find it hard to know what types of snacks to have and meals that don't have a lot of sugar. Even if it's natural sugar I seem to be over doing it. I like to make smoothies with no sugar added so I do about half fruit and half veggies but I'm still getting in way too much sugar for the day. Any tips would be helpful!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jmg Mentor
20 minutes ago, KathleenH said:

Hi guys. So I've been trying to adjust to my new diet but I've also been trying to watch my weight. I noticed lately that I'm having a lot of fresh fruits and veggies which is great but I notice my sugar intake is really high (98% which are natural sugars). I find it hard to know what types of snacks to have and meals that don't have a lot of sugar. Even if it's natural sugar I seem to be over doing it. I like to make smoothies with no sugar added so I do about half fruit and half veggies but I'm still getting in way too much sugar for the day. Any tips would be helpful!

I followed Open Original Shared Link years ago and I think there's value in her approach. Don't be put off by the addiction stuff, whether you buy into that or not there's some good advice in the diet section. 

You do have to be wary of how sugar sneaks into your diet and the danger of replacing one sugar with another.  Most of all you have to guard against the cycle of rush and crash which sugar leads to. 

You beat the cycle with good food choices and avoiding snacking. Your best friend is protein and fat is good too. If you're filling up with those your less likely to go for a sugar rush. Above all stop drinking sodas, fruit juices or sweetened drinks. Your body metabolises them so quickly you'll spike your blood sugar then crash and want more. 

Oh and bear in mind the above advice is written by someone who almost cried with joy when he saw this appear in his local supermarket... Do as I say not do as I do... ;)

IDShot_540x540.webp

cyclinglady Grand Master

Don't worry about your weight. Instead just focus on the gluten free diet.  You might find those extra pounds, just slipping away just from being gluten free.  Others can gain weight on the gluten-free diet.    Everyone is different.  Fruit, veggies, it is all good for now!  

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Go with less fruit, more nut butters, and add seeds like flax and chia both which will thicken your smoothies. Try snacking on nuts, seeds, coconut yogurt, etc. The healthy fats and fiber help manage you sugar. I love eating whole hemp and whole pumpkin seeds for snacks (15g carbs per oz, 10g of it fiber). I also use a bunch of other nut and seed products with a average fiber intake of over 70g a day. NOTE I am on a keto diet and do not consume carbs really.

KathleenH Enthusiast
11 minutes ago, Jmg said:

I followed Open Original Shared Link years ago and I think there's value in her approach. Don't be put off by the addiction stuff, whether you buy into that or not there's some good advice in the diet section. 

You do have to be wary of how sugar sneaks into your diet and the danger of replacing one sugar with another.  Most of all you have to guard against the cycle of rush and crash which sugar leads to. 

You beat the cycle with good food choices and avoiding snacking. Your best friend is protein and fat is good too. If you're filling up with those your less likely to go for a sugar rush. Above all stop drinking sodas, fruit juices or sweetened drinks. Your body metabolises them so quickly you'll spike your blood sugar then crash and want more. 

Oh and bear in mind the above advice is written by someone who almost cried with joy when he saw this appear in his local supermarket... Do as I say not do as I do... ;)

IDShot_540x540.webp

Haha! looks yummy! Yes you are definitely right about the juice, soda, etc. I don't drink those anyway.  

KathleenH Enthusiast
12 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Don't worry about your weight. Instead just focus on the gluten free diet.  You might find those extra pounds, just slipping away just from being gluten free.  Others can gain weight on the gluten-free diet.    Everyone is different.  Fruit, veggies, it is all good for now!  

thanks for the advice. Maybe I should just focus on healing first and the diet later. 

KathleenH Enthusiast
1 minute ago, Ennis_TX said:

Go with less fruit, more nut butters, and add seeds like flax and chia both which will thicken your smoothies. Try snacking on nuts, seeds, coconut yogurt, etc. The healthy fats and fiber help manage you sugar. I love eating whole hemp and whole pumpkin seeds for snacks (15g carbs per oz, 10g of it fiber). I also use a bunch of other nut and seed products with a average fiber intake of over 70g a day. NOTE I am on a keto diet and do not consume carbs really.

Yes I bought some chia I'll have to try them in a smoothie. I made a pudding with them the first time and I didn't particularly care for it but I want to keep trying it. I did also get some nuts and I'll have to try the seeds. Haha this may be TMI but with all that fiber how is your BM lol. I have a really hard time going and take a fiber supplement. So seeds are good for fiber? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Holy Cow! JMG!  The cake looks great!  

Going back to the diet.....I have been low carb, high fat for three years, but that is because I have diabetes on top of celiac disease.  I eat very little fruit at all and I am not deficient in anything.  I eat a lot of veggies (just had some steamed broccoli with at least 2 tablespoons of melted butter).   My blood sugar is good (I eat to my meter), cholesterol is outstanding, etc.  

As a society, we all consume way too much sugar.  Robert Lustig, is a Pediatric endocrinologist (was a professor at UC San Francisco).  He went back to school to get his law degree because even though he published research about the negative effects of sugar, he can not get people to change their behavior.  He has treated way too many obese children in his practice.  He's going to legislate change instead!  

Open Original Shared Link

I love catching Free lectures on UC TV (University of California).  

I confess that I never am tempted to jump off the gluten free wagon, but I fall fast if I encounter a good gluten-free  dessert or am on vacation!  Everything in moderation, of course!  

KathleenH Enthusiast
2 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Holy Cow! JMG!  The cake looks great!  

Going back to the diet.....I have been low carb, high fat for three years, but that is because I have diabetes on top of celiac disease.  I eat very little fruit at all and I am not deficient in anything.  I eat a lot of veggies (just had some steamed broccoli with at least 2 tablespoons of melted butter).   My blood sugar is good (I eat to my meter), cholesterol is outstanding, etc.  

As a society, we all consume way too much sugar.  Robert Lustig, is a Pediatric endocrinologist (was a professor at UC San Francisco).  He went back to school to get his law degree because even though he published research about the negative effects of sugar, he can not get people to change their behavior.  He has treated way too many obese children in his practice.  He's going to legislate change instead!  

Open Original Shared Link

I love catching Free lectures on UC TV (University of California).  

I confess that I never am tempted to jump off the gluten free wagon, but I fall fast if I encounter a good gluten-free  dessert or am on vacation!  Everything in moderation, of course!  

Wow, that sounds tough. Sorry to hear, but you sound like you manage well. Yeah that's crazy! We eat way too much sugar! I've been watching a lot of documentaries on food too and they all talk about how horrendous sugar is for you that's why I just wanted to make sure I watch my sugar intake. I like to snack on fruit as my go to snack now so I think that's why my sugar intake shot up. 

KathleenH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies!

marren27 Apprentice

If you're ok with some sugar from vegetables, carrots and Bolthouse Farms blue cheese yogurt dressing is one of my favorite gluten-free snacks. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
12 hours ago, KathleenH said:

Yes I bought some chia I'll have to try them in a smoothie. I made a pudding with them the first time and I didn't particularly care for it but I want to keep trying it. I did also get some nuts and I'll have to try the seeds. Haha this may be TMI but with all that fiber how is your BM lol. I have a really hard time going and take a fiber supplement. So seeds are good for fiber? 

Seeds and nuts are great for fiber, the ones you can eat in shell like hemp and pumpkin are the best, you can also use them in baking. I make keto waffles and pancakes using blends of egg whites, almond butter, coconut flour, and chia seeds. Low carb mostly protein, fats, and fiber.   I also just konjac flour (thickens like crazy 1tsp is equal to 10tsp of corn starch for a thickener and only has 10 cal and 5g of fiber) to make a porridge with almond milk, coconut flour, almond butter, and ground seed or chopped nuts with a bit of sugar free jam. SO NOSTAGLIC, just like cream of wheat from my childhood. (I need to post this recipe once I perfect it) but has hardly any carbs in it.  Goes great with a side of scrambled egg whites.

Open Original Shared Link   Has a bunch of seeds you can buy for snacking and adding to smoothies all allergen friendly.

Open Original Shared Link  has nuts you can buy if you have no issue with peanuts (I can not use them due to my allergy) 

KathleenH Enthusiast
1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

Seeds and nuts are great for fiber, the ones you can eat in shell like hemp and pumpkin are the best, you can also use them in baking. I make keto waffles and pancakes using blends of egg whites, almond butter, coconut flour, and chia seeds. Low carb mostly protein, fats, and fiber.   I also just konjac flour (thickens like crazy 1tsp is equal to 10tsp of corn starch for a thickener and only has 10 cal and 5g of fiber) to make a porridge with almond milk, coconut flour, almond butter, and ground seed or chopped nuts with a bit of sugar free jam. SO NOSTAGLIC, just like cream of wheat from my childhood. (I need to post this recipe once I perfect it) but has hardly any carbs in it.  Goes great with a side of scrambled egg whites.

Open Original Shared Link   Has a bunch of seeds you can buy for snacking and adding to smoothies all allergen friendly.

Open Original Shared Link  has nuts you can buy if you have no issue with peanuts (I can not use them due to my allergy) 

Thanks so much! I took your advice and took cashews and almonds as my snack today to have in between classes. I do love sunflower and pumpkin seeds so Im going to get some. I should try the hemp too! 

Archived