This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

weight gain after two months gluten free

Ginger1012

Ginger1012 Explorer

After two months being gluten free (diagnosed with celiac) I have gained almost 10 pounds all in my stomach. I didn't replace my diet with any processed gluten-free stuff. I am eating very healthy. Healthier than before. Why would I be gaining so much weight? My stomach is also very bloated all the time. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jmg Mentor
1 hour ago, Ginger1012 said:

After two months being gluten free (diagnosed with celiac) I have gained almost 10 pounds all in my stomach. I didn't replace my diet with any processed gluten-free stuff. I am eating very healthy. Healthier than before. Why would I be gaining so much weight? My stomach is also very bloated all the time. 

Hi Ginger :)

I lost weight initially on the diet then gained some of it back. I think some of the weight I lost was water retention, I was quite bloated and photos from back then show me with a puffy swollen face. 

I don't know whether one can generalise about this, there are very different reactions to the diet, but at 2 months in its certainly safe to say you are in the very early stages of your healing process. Your body may need time to adjust and perhaps at present its busily storing nutrients ready to heal some of the damage gluten has wrought? Another idea is that as your body heals it's able to absorb more nutrients from the food you eat, so without eating any more you're putting on weight because your digestion is improving?

You should also consider the possibility of gluten contamination, are you confident you've eradicated all potential sources within your home / cooking environment?

Ginger1012 Explorer
3 hours ago, Jmg said:

Hi Ginger :)

I lost weight initially on the diet then gained some of it back. I think some of the weight I lost was water retention, I was quite bloated and photos from back then show me with a puffy swollen face. 

I don't know whether one can generalise about this, there are very different reactions to the diet, but at 2 months in its certainly safe to say you are in the very early stages of your healing process. Your body may need time to adjust and perhaps at present its busily storing nutrients ready to heal some of the damage gluten has wrought? Another idea is that as your body heals it's able to absorb more nutrients from the food you eat, so without eating any more you're putting on weight because your digestion is improving?

You should also consider the possibility of gluten contamination, are you confident you've eradicated all potential sources within your home / cooking environment?

My whole family went gluten free. We are basically clean. We have one or two things still left in the freezer, but it's not touching anything. Could carbs or dairy be causing issues with weight and bloating? My nausea issues have decreased a lot. 

Jmg Mentor
14 minutes ago, Ginger1012 said:

My whole family went gluten free. We are basically clean. We have one or two things still left in the freezer, but it's not touching anything. Could carbs or dairy be causing issues with weight and bloating? My nausea issues have decreased a lot. 

I'm no expert, there are others here that have a better grasp of what can happen, but sure. Obviously celiac/sensitivity aside carbs are fattening and the usual weight loss maxims apply to us as much as anyone else. The gluten free diet in itself has nothing to do with weight gain or loss as you know. Personally I think sugar and high GI foods are the biggest culprit in the western diet for weight gain and I was healtiest (aside from gluten issues) when I made efforts to eat from the low sugar/low GI groups. 

I know I found like many others after cutting out gluten that I had to cut dairy too. I found it was causing skin and digestive issues. Whether that had any impact on my loss of weight I couldn't say. I wasn't a big dairy eater to begin with so I doubt it, but can't discount it altogether. 

Having said that, at 2 months into the diet maybe weight isn't something you need to worry about overmuch at the moment? Your body has a lot of healing to do and most of us find that the first few months are an uneven rocky road with ups and downs. As long as you're removing all gluten however it should be a broadly upward slope with light at the end. 

Good to hear you've all gone gluten free, that will make things a lot easier for you. Did you get rid of the wooden spoons, scratched pans etc? Checked all seasoning mixes, sauces and condiments? Removed any jams, butters etc which could've held crumbs? Sorry if that sounds basic but its amazing how many different ways we can slip up on this diet. There's an advice thread stickied which you may want to check out?

TexasJen Collaborator

The same thing happened to me!  10lbs in 3 weeks (about 4months after I went gluten free). Some people gain weight because their intestines are healing and they are finally absorbing the food they are eating.  My weight gain did finally stop and stabilize though.  

I agree with double checking your diet  and kitchen for hidden sources of gluten as well.  

ironictruth Proficient

How are your bathroom habits? Giving up gluten can equate to a fiber loss. And celiac can slow transit time. You may literally be full. I was going everyday but had 2 scans months apart. Both times docs informed me the colon was full. I was shocked. 

You do not want too eat too much fiber either though because it can also cause issues with constipation. 

Make sure you are getting enough fiber and water. Try a small laxative if needed but not all of the time. See if after that your weight goes down along with the tummy. 

• 1 month later...
Pamela Phelps Newbie

I was diagnosed ,  a year and half ago, and started eating gluten free.  I have gained weight and stabilized, but would like to lose about 20 lbs.  can't seem to figure out how.  When I  was diagnosed I was in bad physical shape, lots of things wrong, almost malnutrition.  All the tricks about diet I have tried, but I think my body is saying NO.  So I just keep trying, no goodies, and just healthy.  It certainly has been a struggle.  I would appreciate any help I can get.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pikakegirl Enthusiast

I lost 90 lbs of water weight from inflamation the first two years.  I became my perfect weifght. I ate rice 3 x day and 3 eggs a day so i dont buy into low carb. At the 7 year mark I gained 20 lbs from surgical full menopause and adding new foods. I found dairy causes my CRP to go up.  I just saw a program Dr Oz, whom I don't prefer but his guest discussed how dairy is neurologicaly addictive for us so as babies we want mothers milk. Not as strong as heroin but same receptors. Also tons of salt used in processing. Also only 3/4 calories of sugar becomes fat but 100% of dairy becomes fat.

Archived