This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Everyone is telling me something different

Washingtonmama

Washingtonmama Contributor

I can't see my GI for several months to ask these questions, so I thought I would ask all of you. I'm not having the endoscopy done, so I'm ok to go gluten-free right now. One friend has a brother and his children with Celiac. They are very strict, replaced all pans, plastic, wood utensils etc. My dentist and an aquatience said they just eat gluten free, at home and at restaurants, and never replaced anything. My daughters GI said replace kitchen stuff, do a thorough clean etc. I don't have money to buy new things, but we will find the money if we have to. And my trusty, wonderful Kitchen Aid, I assume I have to replace that too. We are having a gluten-free kitchen, hubby and the kids are wonderful about it, but hubby thinks I might be going overboard replacing things.  Who do I listen to, I'm thoroughly confused!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jmg Mentor
45 minutes ago, Washingtonmama said:

hubby thinks I might be going overboard replacing things.  Who do I listen to, I'm thoroughly confused!

It can be confusing and there are a lot of voices out there with different opinions. There is also variance in how sensitive people are, some manage to get by with basic precautions. Some however find that as they go gluten free they become far more sensitive and have to take additional precautions. To the general public such as your partner such precautions may seem over the top, but they're based on hard science. It's because the immune system is involved, which means that even the very tiniest amount of gluten can set off a full blown reaction which for some could last months. 

This thread has lots of good info:

Personally sharing a kitchen I have my own cupboard with plastic cutting board, sieve, non stick pan etc which I use for most of my cooking but continue to cook with shared stainless steel pans, I just make sure they're clean. I don't use shared wooden implements.

If I were you I'd replace wooden spoons, chopping boards and spatulas which are cheap to replace and check any non stick pans for scratches and get rid of any that are scractched. Otherwise just give everything a thorough clean get rid of the sauces, condiments etc that have gluten and see how you go.  But see what others say!

kareng Grand Master

Keep the ktichenaid mixer but you will want to wash all the little crevices well.  I found that white vinegar/ water squirted up into the cracks until it runs clean seems to do the trick.  Throw the pots in the dishwasher.  Throw out the pasta colander - hard to get it out of all the little cracks.  You need a new toaster, fresh Mayo, PB, etc.  The BBQ grill piece will need to be replaced or cooked in the oven during a self clean ( if you cooked any bread on it)- or get foil pans from Walmart for a while.

the basic rule is - if it cleans well, it's fine.

adding - cookie sheets & cupcake tins - I would replace, especially the cupcakes pans.  Very hard to get the stuff out of the cracks.  Cookie sheets you can always use some foil or parchment paper on for a while.  I say cookie sheets because they always seem to have some baked on stuff, no matter how hard you try to scrub them.

cast iron would need to go in the oven clean cycle, too

Open Original Shared Link

TexasJen Collaborator

Yes, it is expensive!  Here's my thought.....If you stop cooking with gluten in your house all together, all of the little, microscopic bits of gluten that are left in the cracks in your pots, cupcake pans etc that are left after several good washings will be cooked out of your kitchen equipment within several uses. This may mean that you are exposed to a very small amount of gluten for a couple of weeks, but shortly your kitchen will be gluten free (provided that you don't keep cooking with anything with gluten). But it has got to be way less than any small exposure you might get in a restaurant, and it will only be temporary. (wooden spoons may be the exception)

I say if you really can't afford than you will get by just fine with a couple of scrubbings.

Washingtonmama Contributor

Everyone on this board is wonderful! Thank you so much or your help. I'm going with what you guys say, and I will share what you said with my husband. I see there are a few places I can relax in, and replace the other things, which won't be so expensive. Thank you!!!

Archived