This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Clarifying the test results

KAG1010

KAG1010 Newbie

Hi Everyone, 

i am am brand new to the board.  Here's my background briefly.  I am 40. I have been trying to have a baby since 2010.  I have been pregnant twice and both ended in miscarriage. A new doctor for IVF ordered a recurrent loss workup.  I see my test results but have a few more tests to do before I am following up with the doctor.  My test results that I believe have to do with celiac are as follows:

endomysial Iga Antibody is negative

Tissue Transglutaminase Iga is 44.9. Standard range is 0-19. 

Reading through some posts here I think I'm understanding that the Iga antibody is used to show whether the tissue transglutaminase Iga is valid, and not a false positive? Is that accurate? 

After 6 rounds of IVF, I feel like I'm a googling expert but for some reason this is really confusing to me! 

Thank you in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

emma6 Enthusiast

the test you had which is listed as negative is called EMA

Open Original Shared Link

your thinking of total Iga which checks that you are not deficient in Iga and are able to produce antibodies. people with an Iga deficiency can get false negative results.

since you tested positive for ttg iga that suggests you're not iga deficient and you most likely have celiac disease.

you can still have celiac with a negative EMA. not everyone will test positive for every test its very hit or miss. so even if none of your other tests come back positive for celiac, the positive ttg iga is enough.

looks like you've finally found the cause behind your problems

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome!  You may have found the reasons for your fertility issues!  You only need one positive on the celiac panel to move forward.  Now, keep eating gluten and get a referral to a GI doctor.  The next step is an endoscopy to obtain intestinal biopsies.  

Open Original Shared Link

Why not just try going gluten free without a diagnosis?  I think you will receive better care and may uncover other issues that could affect a healthy pregnancy (e.g. Anemia, thyroid issues, etc.)  beside, celiac disease is genetic.  A firm diagnosis can help others in your family.  

I just met a woman in a 100% gluten free bakery a few months ago.  She told me that she had issues with conceiving and miscarrying.  Six months after being gluten free (strict), and she was pregnant.  Yep, she had the little guy with her!  I hope the best for you!

KAG1010 Newbie

Thank you both so much for your responses. I hope this is the answer. Unexplained infertility is really frustrating because you just keep hoping. But with a potential reason, hopefully I can adjust my diet and hopefully get pregnant! 

Thank you

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Emma 6 gave you great info on your test question.

I just wanted to say I am sorry for your losses . I hope that you are able to get the help and healing needed to move forward to better health and future conception. I look forward to the day you post that things are progressing in a positive way in your desire for a family.  I went through 3 pregnancies with what was likely undiagnosed celiac, I am a grateful mother that got to keep two on earth.

I have hope and best wishes for you.

Good luck.

Washingtonmama Contributor

My daughter was recently diagnosed, and her doctor agreed, Celiac could very well be the cause for her recurrent miscarriages. She is very excited to have found the problem. Looks like you are on the way to success! Whoohoo!

Archived