This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gatorade?

Jherm21

Jherm21 Community Regular

Hi guys. This may be a silly question. Is Gatorade gluten free? If so which flavors? Do they test? I'm looking for an electrolyte drink as my doctor has diagnosed me with POTS. It's just strange my POTS symptoms have gotten worse since 4 months on the gluten-free diet?I can barley stand without almost passing out. I've neglected the table test for now because we are basing it off of my symptoms and heart rate and blood pressure and holster monitor. Eventually in May I will have the table test.  But  trying to find an electrolyte drink to help. Also does anyone know of supplements that may help with bad circulation? The blood is pretty much pooling  in my legs and not going to my head or feet? so Gatorade and circulation help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

PinkyGurl Explorer

All Gatorade drinks are gluten free.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

You will be better off with coconut water here. A blend of bioflovoids, vitamin C, Magnesium, and potassium will do wonders with your circulation and coconut water is naturally high in electrolytes. I used to drink it before my issues with sugars started last year. Since then I had to start taking them all in different form without the sugars. Funny thing I did recently come across a product that got my attention supposedly supposed to help with circulation. I was thinking of maybe changing over to it myself. https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-1696937-hemodas-swollen-ankle-citrus-sinensis-l-bioflavonoid-600-mg-30-tablets   

^Funny thing about this product. THE SAME BRAND offers something with the EXACT same ingredients that cost $7 more supposedly targeted at helping with anal bleeding and pain. -_-

Might also suggest cinnamon for circulation.

cyclinglady Grand Master

While Gateraid is gluten free, I prefer Nunn tablets for my long rides.  Good for marathons too.  Easy to transport.  Just add water.  

• 2 weeks later...
Jherm21 Community Regular

Cyclinglady, where do you get the nuun tablets? Does it matter the flavor is the brand gluten free for all?

cyclinglady Grand Master
26 minutes ago, Jherm21 said:

Cyclinglady, where do you get the nuun tablets? Does it matter the flavor is the brand gluten free for all?

I think all the flavors are all gluten free.  I buy them at my local grocery store which is a Kroger store.  Amazon has them too.  Jenny at "The Patient Celiac" uses them too (she is a preemie doctor who has celiac disease). 

• 2 years later...
DMason Newbie

I went to the Gatorade website, and although the do not use gluten containing ingredients and they have NOT been tested to be gluten-free. There is a possibility the ingredients were exposed to/stored next to gluten-containing foods during processing.

https://contact.pepsico.com/gatorade/article/does-gatorade-contain-gluten

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, DMason said:

I went to the Gatorade website, and although the do not use gluten containing ingredients and they have NOT been tested to be gluten-free. There is a possibility the ingredients were exposed to/stored next to gluten-containing foods during processing.

https://contact.pepsico.com/gatorade/article/does-gatorade-contain-gluten

It’s on the Fasano gluten elimination diet.  

cyclinglady Grand Master

Here is more about the diet designed by a team of celiac disease experts.  Dr. Fasano is on that team.  

https://res.mdpi.com/nutrients/nutrients-09-01129/article_deploy/nutrients-09-01129.pdf?filename=&attachment=1

https://www.massgeneral.org/doctors/19184/Alessio-Fasano

NNowak Collaborator

Just a caution regarding the sports drinks and vitamin waters; they contain sugar alcohols which can be extremely irritating for anyone with GI issues. Personally, I double over with extreme stomach pain immediately upon ingestion. The coconut water is a much better solution for me, and I’ll definitely check out the tablets. 

I, too, deal with edema in my calves and feet, which started with my last pregnancy in 2006. If I take my prescribed diuretic, all is well. However,  I have noticed that the edema is much better on a low histamine diet. I’m not sure of the mechanism behind that, but I’ve been without my diuretic for about 2 weeks now. 

Good luck with your POTS. I know that can be very difficult. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Well, slightly off topic, but I do not use anything but water now.  I do intermittent fasting (no breakfast) and I am on a lowish carb diet full of meats, fish, eggs, veggies, dairy and a little fruit.   I use plenty of salt.  Occasionally, I fall off the wagon like this week when my kid wanted homemade gluten-free cookies.  I am not perfect!  

No longer do I “hit the wall” like I did in the past after a carb loading meal and drinking lots of Gatorade before I cycle.    My body seems access my stored fat.  Nothing abnormal on my last round of normal lab work.  

I do drink plain coffee in the mornings.  Gives me a little “oomph” on my rides or a few hours of teaching exercise classes.  

Water does the job.  

I can say that I have  healed from celiac disease which makes a HUGE difference! Am I as fast or do I ride hard as when I drank Gatorade?  Heck no.  I am soon to be 60!  

NNowak Collaborator

Cyclinglady, you are a prime example of mind over matter, and so inspirational!!  A little tweak with the diet to address health challenges, time and ambition makes those with autoimmune conditions unstoppable. I am soooo much healthier as a healed Celiac with far more stamina than I had as a child. Newly diagnosed Celiacs, and those feeling defeated with companion conditions, need to know life gets better!!  

A side note: while nursing my fourth child, I taught 4:45AM spinning classes and 15 yoga classes weekly. I also ran several times weekly. This was 17 years after my diagnosis, and I was well healed.  So it is very possible to immerse yourself fully into life as you heal.