• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Stomach Pain
3 3

8 posts in this topic

Hello fellow Celiacs.

I am newly diagnosed and have been strictly gluten-free since my biopsy about 2 months ago. Biopsy was otherwise normal. No evidence of ulcers etc.

One of main symptoms was stomach pain on and off for about 1 year.

I believe I have accidentally eaten gluten on 2 occasions when eating out.

Symptoms include feeling hung over for approx 3 days with gut pain.

However, in the last few days I have consistently had the stomach discomfort and heart burn consistent with when I was still regularly consuming gluten.

I am a little confused by this. Is there any kind of process the body goes through that would have me experiencing symptoms without needing to have the gluten?

Just looking for some light to be shed. This is a little frustrating becase I was feeling much improved and am not feeling great and its getting me down.

Thanks heaps from your Australian mate, Glutenfreeasbro

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Keep a food journal to help identify issues, writing down everything, condiment, spice, food, etc you eat and how you feel a few hours later. My guess is might have gotten a crumb from a condiment jar, food container, silverware drawer, or somehow gotten a bit of gluten residue from something on your hands before fixing food. Double check all your foods, something might be contaminated, anything new the past few days? Could even be something really odd....I have gotten sick from flour dusted veggies from this one store where they had the fresh produce right next to the bakery.

Since your new I will go ahead and link the newbie 101 for you.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

Other wise I might think a nutrient deficiency but you seem to be alright there since it just started up. So last thing I could think of is you might have developed a food intolerance or allergy also. In which case the food journal would help you nail down the culprit if you do a rotational diet of different foods every few days and keep record.

G'day and welcome :)

8 hours ago, glutenfreeasbro said:

I am a little confused by this. Is there any kind of process the body goes through that would have me experiencing symptoms without needing to have the gluten?

Not exactly. A lot of people find that the first few months of the gluten-free diet can be problematic. There are periods of feeling great and improvement and then there are regressions and it's not always immediately apparent that they're directly related to gluten intake. I found that I had to cut dairy out for instance as I was getting churning stomach and skin issues from it. Oats are another common irritant to the newly gluten free, some people don't react well to the avenin protein I think. 

It's also common to find that your reaction to gluten changes as you progress on the diet. That may mean you  get more sensitive to just a tiny amount of gluten or that your symptoms actually change, you no longer react the way you did before. In as much as anything is normal in the cuckoo world of gluten then this is a normal, oft reported occurrence...

Ennis's advice above about keeping a food journal is your best bet. Through that you can look for patterns. I found a rogue source of gluten in my kitchen that was making me ill through my journal.  Doesn't have to be War and peace, just a short entry saying what you ate, when and how you feel. 

8 hours ago, glutenfreeasbro said:

his is a little frustrating becase I was feeling much improved and am not feeling great and its getting me down.

Try and be positive. You live in a land of endless sunshine, beautiful beaches and you've somehow survived the funnel webs and vicious drop bears :P To be serious, you are on the road to recovery and although it may not always feel like it, the more you pursue the diet the more your system will heal and you'll be feeling better soon. Just don't be too disheartened if progress looks more like this:

learning-curve-6.jpg

than this:

su2jE.png

She'll be right!

On 20/04/2017 at 1:31 AM, Jmg said:

G'day and welcome :)

Not exactly. A lot of people find that the first few months of the gluten-free diet can be problematic. There are periods of feeling great and improvement and then there are regressions and it's not always immediately apparent that they're directly related to gluten intake. I found that I had to cut dairy out for instance as I was getting churning stomach and skin issues from it. Oats are another common irritant to the newly gluten free, some people don't react well to the avenin protein I think. 

It's also common to find that your reaction to gluten changes as you progress on the diet. That may mean you  get more sensitive to just a tiny amount of gluten or that your symptoms actually change, you no longer react the way you did before. In as much as anything is normal in the cuckoo world of gluten then this is a normal, oft reported occurrence...

Ennis's advice above about keeping a food journal is your best bet. Through that you can look for patterns. I found a rogue source of gluten in my kitchen that was making me ill through my journal.  Doesn't have to be War and peace, just a short entry saying what you ate, when and how you feel. 

Try and be positive. You live in a land of endless sunshine, beautiful beaches and you've somehow survived the funnel webs and vicious drop bears :P To be serious, you are on the road to recovery and although it may not always feel like it, the more you pursue the diet the more your system will heal and you'll be feeling better soon. Just don't be too disheartened if progress looks more like this:

learning-curve-6.jpg

than this:

su2jE.png

She'll be right!

Thank you so much for your helpful response! Its so great to speak yo experienced Celiacs. I will start a food diary though i suspect i have been lazy with food prep spaces atc. Just bought a different "gluten-free cutting board" as i have been using the same one for everything. And i suspect it may be dairy so i will eliminate that grom my dietand see how i go. Is it possible that once im healed from beung on the diet for a while, i may be able to eat dairy again?

And you are so right, i live in the most incredible place. I am very grateful for everything i am. It was just so nice not to be in pain. But its a journey and im sure all of this learning will put me in a healthier, happier position in months to come.

Ads by Google:

On 19/04/2017 at 10:12 PM, Ennis_TX said:

Keep a food journal to help identify issues, writing down everything, condiment, spice, food, etc you eat and how you feel a few hours later. My guess is might have gotten a crumb from a condiment jar, food container, silverware drawer, or somehow gotten a bit of gluten residue from something on your hands before fixing food. Double check all your foods, something might be contaminated, anything new the past few days? Could even be something really odd....I have gotten sick from flour dusted veggies from this one store where they had the fresh produce right next to the bakery.

Since your new I will go ahead and link the newbie 101 for you.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

Other wise I might think a nutrient deficiency but you seem to be alright there since it just started up. So last thing I could think of is you might have developed a food intolerance or allergy also. In which case the food journal would help you nail down the culprit if you do a rotational diet of different foods every few days and keep record.

Thanks for the great advice and support. Starting up my food diary today 😊

Yeah DO not eat out for a few months, and only eat after talking to the chef, and manager about your issues. Check FindMeGluten Free app and look for places with MULTIPLE good reviews in your area.  The gluten free menu is for health fads not the medical required gluten-free diet.

Eat whole foods only for the next few weeks or months to boost your healing and remove dairy for now you might be able to reintroduce it in a few months, see about dedicated cookware, utensil, etc. gluten is a protein not a germ, or dirt. Think of it like trying to scrub blood off something where a CSI tech will not find it......yeah it is like that. You can bake it off with like 600F using the cleaning cycle on some ovens to disinfect some pots pans and utensils. Stainless steel can be cleaned sometimes if not scratched, anything scratched like Teflon coated pans etc needs to be tossed. I really just suggest getting mostly new kitchen wares. Freezer paper is a life saver for making clean surface cook areas, you need to clean out your drawers of crumbs, and get some new organizers for them if you can for a safe area to put your silverware. New cutting board, knifes are iffy I personally just got new ones when I went gluten-free years ago.

I really do suggest only buying gluten-free certified foods also. you do not need to go into despair about missing foods. After a few months you can try reintroducing gluten free processed foods. AND everything you used to eat is available gluten-free and even dairy free options on many. I will give you a list of food staples and gluten free options that I have been compiling for people. I also have a bunch of recipes I have posted for gluten free foods in the cooking/baking section here feel free to check it out..

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/

4 hours ago, glutenfreeasbro said:

Is it possible that once im healed from beung on the diet for a while, i may be able to eat dairy again?

Yes it's entirely possible! :) 

Here's an explanation if you'd like to know a little more: http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/dietcom-blog-the-celiac-disease-lactose-intolerant-connection/

Sometimes other food intolerances emerge at this time but they too can be transient and disappear as you heal. 

Try to treat these first 6 months on the diet as a special project. Get yourself a safe, clean food prep area and utensils you can trust. Find some simple, whole food recipes you can enjoy and cook and freeze some spare portions so you always have an option. Like ENnis says go easy on the processed gluten-free stuff. Make sure you're eating well, you may have nutrient deficiencies due to the celiac. Take a gluten-free multivitamin and maybe a separate B supplement. You guys will be heading into what you call winter (pah :( ) but try and get some sunshine or take vitamin D.