This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

News: Celiac.com: Gluten-free diets may be linked to type 2 diabetes

Scott Adams

Scott Adams Grand Master

The initial reason gluten free diets came about was to treat a condition called celiac disease—an autoimmune disorder known to affect at least three ...

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jmg Mentor

:( 

I have been thinking that I need to change my diet and this article has only confirmed it. I eat quite  a lot of gluten-free 'treats' at the moment, cakes, chocolate etc. I rationalise by the fact I dont drink or smoke and have a restricted choice so I 'deserve' a break, but I guess my choices are leading in a bad direction.

Maybe I'll have a go at making some better choices... 

cristiana Veteran
5 hours ago, Jmg said:

:( 

I have been thinking that I need to change my diet and this article has only confirmed it. I eat quite  a lot of gluten-free 'treats' at the moment, cakes, chocolate etc. I rationalise by the fact I dont drink or smoke and have a restricted choice so I 'deserve' a break, but I guess my choices are leading in a bad direction.

Maybe I'll have a go at making some better choices... 

Ditto.

However, this is what I can never understand about gluten free food.  (see the bold bits which I've taken from the article)

"We wanted to determine if gluten consumption will affect health in people with no apparent medical reasons to avoid gluten. Gluten-free foods often have less dietary fiber and other micronutrients, making them less nutritious and they also tend to cost more,”

I wonder why  what so much of what I eat  that's gluten free doesn't have added vitamins - we of all people need fortification in our cereals and bread, surely? 

Jmg Mentor

I guess they've never felt the political pressure the mainstream cereal producers were under in the age of rickets and pellagra? Plus there's not such a competitive market and its a cost manufacturers would sooner do without if they can, although if Udi's or Genius did start perhaps they'd get more business.

I think I'll start eating flax seed again, that was good for fibre I think. I take a vitamin supplement also of course. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

In my research, diabetes (type 2) is genetic.  You either have the genes to develop diabetes or you do not.  Additional weight is most likely due to insulin resistance.  I happen to be a thin diabetic.  I have never been heavy.  I was brought up to consume the Standard American diet (SAD) full of process and sugary foods.  

The problem most celiacs have is that they just simply convert the SAD diet into a gluten free diet.

2 hours ago, cristiana said:

Ditto.

However, this is what I can never understand about gluten free food.  (see the bold bits which I've taken from the article)

"We wanted to determine if gluten consumption will affect health in people with no apparent medical reasons to avoid gluten. Gluten-free foods often have less dietary fiber and other micronutrients, making them less nutritious and they also tend to cost more,”

I wonder why  what so much of what I eat  that's gluten free doesn't have added vitamins - we of all people need fortification in our cereals and bread, surely? 

I disagree.  We need to consume foods that naturally contain nutrients that are good for us.  Fortified foods were only developed during the last century.   In the 20's they added iodine to salt to prevent thyroid disease (goiters).  In the 30's they added Vitamin D to prevent rickets (fortified milk was better than that nasty cod liver oil).  In the 40's they started fortifying flour.  Why?  They found that kids entering into the military during WWII were malnourished.  Yes.  They were malnourished.  Remember, the Great Depression preceded the war.  

Read more:

Open Original Shared Link

I consume very few grains because I do have diabetes.   I eat  fresh veggies (full of fiber), meats, fruit, eggs, and dairy along with plenty of fat (which does not raise blood sugar).  I do occasionally fall of the wagon, but never the gluten-free wagon!   Granted this diet is not for everyone.  We must choose what works best for our individual health issues.  But chances are we do not need to consume processed junk food in a daily basis.  It is not healthy for a celiac.  It is not healthy for anyone!  

So, everything in moderation and enjoy a varied diet.  

Jmg Mentor
1 hour ago, cyclinglady said:

chances are we do not need to consume processed junk food in a daily basis.  It is not healthy for a celiac.  It is not healthy for anyone!  

Yes but...

eb10d60c10_1458053531_na-het-afrekenen-g

cyclinglady Grand Master

?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived