This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just for Fun- Do any of you have pets that..

ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Watch TV. I am sitting watching my 20 lb tuxedo kitty watch TV. He is just sitting quietly and attentively watching the news with me. My other kitty loves to sit on my lap and watch me do puzzles or video games on the computer. What I find odd is that they don't make any attempt to go after anything on the screens. But put a string or a shadow in front of them and they are off like a rocket. What do your fur friends do that you find odd or humorous?

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

I have had a variety of cats in my lifetime. I was raised with dogs and cats, but cats and I seem best suited. Many do enjoy the window more than tv, but I do find most like when I watch nature based shows especially about the big cats. If they hear the big cats they do sit with interest. They especially enjoy the hunting scenes or the social calls amongst the cats. One I recall had a mother and her two little ones, he heard the little ones call for mom and watched . My current cats seem to know tv is tv and my boy uses the back of the tv stand to perch for his big real life picture window. 

It sounds as you have the pleasure of a wonderful lap cat companion in one of your cats. Envy. My shelter adoptee s become more friendly by the day but are not lap cats. It's my hope as they mature and my children age they will discover my lap. If they don't that is ok too. 

My male tabby is high energy and more dog like then most dogs. He responds to the doorbell before us and greets everyone. He has a healthy self esteem that everyone loves him. He was returned by his first owner, then in foster, before we found him. He is a door dodger and will run if his desires are not met. Hence why he likely had revolving door keepers.

He found the woman that compromised. he can't be an outdoor cat (he's too sweet to be a Tom cat, and I like my kitties close, but he likes to pretend he is semi free) I built him a Catio cage that he can go in when midwest weather allows. He has agreed to this accommodation it has fresh catnip, grass to sniff, perch shelves, and a homemade scratching post. we are his longest owners and he has learned we are committed to him. He will run over computers and anything in his view of the window and nature. He will love nip if his request to the catio is not met in a timely fashion. He assumes if anyone goes in the yard to grill, water plants, play etc he is going to.

The female black and white we have is just the right balance to deal with tabby boy. She is calmer, more sleepy, but takes no cr#p. She took quite sometime to warm up to us for she was found abandoned in an apartment by the landlord. The more time she lives here the more settled in and loving she has been. She loves family movie night to snooze on the ottoman by our feet to be close. She went years of not allowing us to hold   or pick her up. My husband broke her of that one hug at a time.Now my daughter picks her up daily when she returns from school. Both cats fit our family and often sleep switching  off sleeping with our boy and girl by same and opposite gender rotation how the cats decide I don't know.

They are unique and we are known by our male cat. He will walk on a leash in a harness. We have had people stop their cars to get out to take a picture and he is known around the 3 streets closest to us.  It's a unique cat household indeed.

Enjoy your kitties pet them on the head for me the next time you watch tv.

Jmg Mentor
On 5/1/2017 at 11:38 PM, ravenwoodglass said:

What do your fur friends do that you find odd or humorous?

My mother has two cats, one older than the other. The younger one is a real character. Very strong willed, a pain if he's not getting his own way but also very affectionate. He has a very quiet miaow and a very loud purr which is a nice combination. When he see's me he runs up and raises himself on his hind legs towards my hand to indicate that he needs to be stroked! I've not seen a cat do this before? It always makes me laugh anyway as it's such a blatant demand for attention. If he wants to go out he has a series of strategies to make himself as much of a nuisance as possible until he gets his way. 

My sisters cats are house cats like yours Awol. They climb all over the house, even on the tops of the doors. One of them likes to sleep on the top of a wardrobe and scared my niece to death when she opened it. 

squirmingitch Veteran

My dog watches TV but she is discriminating in what she watches. She likes it when horses are on the screen. She will watch movies for long periods & then seems to get bored with them & takes a dog nap. She watches dogs when they are on the screen but not all dog breeds. She is a terrier breed & when she sees a terrier of any kind on TV then she perks right up & watches. She definitely recognizes all of the terrier group even if it's a mixed breed. She is apparently in love with "Eddie" on Frasier. So much so to the point that when she hears the theme song for Frasier, she runs to the TV to watch. She knows Martin's voice & knows Eddie is almost always in scenes with Martin. She hears Eddie's dog tags & perks up, watching attentively. I do an imitation of Daphne with her British accent saying "Eddie" and my dog runs to the TV (even if it's not turned on) to get a glimpse of Eddie. 

She comes to me sometimes when I'm at the computer & asks me to put on YouTube videos of terriers. She makes it perfectly clear that she wants to watch things on the computer.

Victoria1234 Experienced

My cats plus my dog don't watch tv, but as youngsters the cats played that fish game on my iPad from friskies, I think. It was hilarious to watch them. Plus I loved reading everyone's stories here!

• 2 weeks later...
ravenwoodglass Mentor

Our fur families all seem to have one thing in common. they are all so well loved. That Catio sounds wonderful. Thanks for the smiles in the middle of a tough work week everyone.

Victoria1234 Experienced
48 minutes ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Our fur families all seem to have one thing in common. they are all so well loved. That Catio sounds wonderful. Thanks for the smiles in the middle of a tough work week everyone.

If you haven't checked it out yet, go here.... Open Original Shared Link It's live kittens in Iceland living in a dollhouse. They switch them out when they are bigger and get adopted. These guys are 9 weeks old I think and so super crazy when they aren't sleeping. Note there are 4 different live cams.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived