This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bloating, gas in the evening?

elevenluke

elevenluke Newbie

Hello all, my name is Luke! I've lurked this forum for answers quite often and finally decided to make an account of my own to interact (not sure why I didn't sooner). I am an RN and was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about a year and 5 months ago when I was 22.

I have been experiencing severe gas and bloating in the evenings (always after I have had both breakfast and lunch, never do I wake up feeling this way). Around 4-5pm I start feeling very bloated, and notice abdominal distension and a sense of fullness, accompanied by an insane amount of gas I pass for hours and hours (lovely, I know... not.). It is terribly uncomfortable and quite annoying, and I often end up using the restroom to have numerous bowel movements. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so what did you find out if anything related to this?

I am NOT being glutened. I am a gluten nazi, seriously. I just had another endoscopy done to test for H. Pylori and check the condition of my small bowel again, which fortunately is in immaculate condition, with no visible villous atrophy. My antibody levels are within normal range, and I ended up not having H. Pylori either. I am just not sure what could be causing these very annoying symptoms, and it is happening every single day! I have done a course of Xifaxin for suspected SIBO, which after finishing the course I *seemed* to be slightly better for a very short period of time--no more than 2 weeks tops, but I feel just the same again now. I know SIBO can grow back, but I never felt conclusively better to even know whether or not it was that in the first place (something I plan to pursue with GI doc at next visit). I guess I just feel at a loss for what could be causing my symptoms, and I don't know what else to try. I have a great diet that is quite bland and(gluten free of course, with almost no processed food... but this "reaction" of gas and abdominal dissension I seem to be getting daily happens regardless of what I eat it seems. I have recently added in digestive enzymes with each meal to see if that would help, but it has not whatsoever. I have an appointment with the GI doctor again, and am seeing a dietician just because, but have no conclusive answers so far, and am trying my luck here with my celiac brothers and sisters :)

Sorry for the long winded description, I tried to keep only the most relevant information, and keep it the least "graphic" I could (sorry, I talk about poop and nasty bodily functions daily being in nursing so I lose track of what the line is when speaking normally!) Thanks for reading, and having me as a part of the community.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Used to get this when I ate anything with carbs/sugars, but this I later learned was from UC and it causing flare ups. I also get this as a after effect from dairy, peanuts, soy, and a few other intolerance of mine but I first normally get really bad stomach issues.

Try a elimination diet and see what it might be, would be my main suggestion. You probably developed a new intolerance or just having a bad reaction to something.

GFinDC Veteran

An elimination diet would be a good idea.  And start with oats as you might be one of the celiacs who react to them.  Any carbs, sugar and processed foods are a possible source of bloating too.   Probiotics might help.  Antibiotics can really mess up the gut flora so it needs to be re-established with good stuff.

Ennis is right, additional food intolerances can develop.  Dairy, soy, corn, eggs, nightshades, oats, are common food intolerances.  But any food can cause a reaction if you become intolerant to it.  We may be more likely to become intolerant to foods we eat a lot of while our guts are irritated.  That's one reason people do rotation diets.  It's almost always something we are eating or drinking or ingesting in some way that causes symptoms.

elevenluke Newbie

I will definitely try the elimination diet. I have been planning to do so for a while, but haven't actually tried it as I have been busy and hadn't brung myself to learn what all I can eat, and ensure it is enough. It is so odd that your body can develop random new intolerances to foods you have eaten your entire life, once you have/are diagnosed with celiac disease. I haven ever had a lower sugar/carb diet as healthy as what I eat now, but surely something is slipping through the cracks causing symptoms.

A question I have for you guys is, have you been tested for food intolerances? I hear mixed things from colleagues about the trustworthiness of the test itself and how indicative it is of actually food sensitivities, and was curious if you all have had the tests and could speak on their reliability in your personal experiences? I plan to do the elimination diet regardless, but I figure it would be helpful to have some level of guidance when replacing possibly offending food groups back into my diet, if I have some kind of potential insight as to what is most likely not great for me. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
Mr. Legend Newbie
On 5/8/2017 at 10:48 PM, elevenluke said:

I will definitely try the elimination diet. I have been planning to do so for a while, but haven't actually tried it as I have been busy and hadn't brung myself to learn what all I can eat, and ensure it is enough. It is so odd that your body can develop random new intolerances to foods you have eaten your entire life, once you have/are diagnosed with celiac disease. I haven ever had a lower sugar/carb diet as healthy as what I eat now, but surely something is slipping through the cracks causing symptoms.

A question I have for you guys is, have you been tested for food intolerances? I hear mixed things from colleagues about the trustworthiness of the test itself and how indicative it is of actually food sensitivities, and was curious if you all have had the tests and could speak on their reliability in your personal experiences? I plan to do the elimination diet regardless, but I figure it would be helpful to have some level of guidance when replacing possibly offending food groups back into my diet, if I have some kind of potential insight as to what is most likely not great for me. Thanks!

You may have ibs (irritable bowel syndrome) .i am having the same symptoms and taking medication for ibs. 

Archived