This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Coffee

AristotlesCat

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I will just stick with christopherbean company, the fact the main sales rep I talk to has celiac in the family means a lot, she said they use it all the time. I tested some of the iffiest flavored version grounds for gluten all negative. NOT had any issues drinking all kinds of coffee from their company in the past few months. FACT the flavored ones actually taste like what they say and just need a bit of sweetener is making me a coffee addict again lol. Clearing a pot a day so far and looking forward to each day wondering what flavor I should do >.> today was banana foster coffee, its 7 am and i already am on my third cup.

If your still in doubt just buy their beans and grind your self.  I am grateful for the guy that started this thread as he ended up motivating me to start my campaign to find a gluten-free flavored coffee, where I ended up emailing several companies, I still saved 2 of the replies from companies saying DO NOT drink our coffee if you have celiac. Sorta funny how that brought up the issue and proved some points about gluten in the coffee industry.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AristotlesCat

• CoffeeLobby

• cyclinglady

• Ennis-TX

Top Posters In This Topic

• AristotlesCat

AristotlesCat 20 posts

• CoffeeLobby

CoffeeLobby 11 posts

• cyclinglady

cyclinglady 10 posts

• Ennis-TX

Ennis-TX 10 posts

lilo Enthusiast

Simon Levelt Organic Coffee is certified gluten free . 

• 11 months later...
michaelens Newbie
On 5/10/2017 at 1:52 PM, cyclinglady said:

Not sure about how the K cups really work, but is anyone else using the machine?  Those with flavors or from other manufacturers could have gluten.  

I drink coffee without any issues, but just the plain stuff.  I think coffee is not on the Fasano diet because it can be harsh on a damaged GI system.  

Are you consuming oats?  About 10% of celiacs can not consume oats even if they are certified gluten free.  Do you eat out?  How many processed foods do you eat, including certified gluten free?   Have you been checked for vitamin or mineral deficiencies by your GI?  How many times has your antibodies been tested since your diagnosis.  It can a year or longer for antibodies to come down.  Years to heal from nerve damage...and some never heal.  Have you been tested for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?  

Just throwing out suggestions.  I hope you figure it out.  ?

michaelens Newbie
11 minutes ago, michaelens said:

I'm enjoying following this thread. May I add my 1.5 cents... I had to stop eating the oats from the major company due to consistent negative reactions and have found that I do NOT react to the oats company from family company in Wyoming. With coffee, I have to stay away from all coffee as I started reacting the same as the oats. Thankfully, I have found a small roaster whose product I have no reaction too. So, I can have my coffee & oats again without having a "bad" reaction!!!?

• 10 months later...
Tassas Newbie
On 5/10/2017 at 7:44 AM, AristotlesCat said:

I am a coffee drinker and have celiac, and my doctors are telling me my celiac isn't under control. I am getting really bad peripheral neuropathy as a result and my energy levels are insanely low. I've been fanatical about checking labels and in the past few months (just out of pure vigilance to get to the bottom of things) I've only eaten food that is certified gluten free. I am not even making stuff from the produce section out of an abundance of caution. But still my celiac symptoms remain and the doctor tells me it isn't under control. The only possible thing I think it can be is coffee. I do drink Kuerig K-Cups (the Green Mountain Breakfast Blend). When I've contacted them they say there is no gluten in the coffee itself, but I am guessing it is possible there is a cross contamination issue. Does anyone know of coffee brands that are certified gluten free (or at least labeled gluten free and have a good reputation)? I will even go with instant if I have to. 

Also anyone else have positive or negative experiences with certain brands of coffee? 

Some of the proteins in coffee are altered in the processing and a cross reactive, not cross contaminate, reaction may occur. The altered proteins mimic gluten, and the results can feel the same.  Try going off the coffee for a week or two and see if your celiac symptoms improve.

If you want to continue drinking coffee, try organic whole bean coffees instead as they are the least processed. Avoid instant coffee because it is among the most processed.

I am not celiac, but I am gluten intolerant, and most processed coffees give me a moderate reaction, but it's uncomfortable enough that I avoid coffee. Another factor is pesticides. I've read that coffee is one of the crops most heavily treated by pesticides, thus the organic recommendation. I do well with most organic whole bean coffees.

kareng Grand Master
35 minutes ago, Tassas said:

Some of the proteins in coffee are altered in the processing and a cross reactive, not cross contaminate, reaction may occur. The altered proteins mimic gluten, and the results can feel the same.  Try going off the coffee for a week or two and see if your celiac symptoms improve.

If you want to continue drinking coffee, try organic whole bean coffees instead as they are the least processed. Avoid instant coffee because it is among the most processed.

I am not celiac, but I am gluten intolerant, and most processed coffees give me a moderate reaction, but it's uncomfortable enough that I avoid coffee. Another factor is pesticides. I've read that coffee is one of the crops most heavily treated by pesticides, thus the organic recommendation. I do well with most organic whole bean coffees.

Cross reactive coffee - your body thinking coffee is gluten is just not true.  Its a myth that got started and won't die.  I can tell you that I was at the International Celiac Disease Symposium a few years back and the doctors laughed when this myth came up.  We were going through a lot of coffee at this conference!  

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/whats-with-all-the-talk-about-certain-types-of-food-causing-cross-reactivity/

Edited by kareng
Jane B Haugen Newbie

Become your own detective in your body response to any food especially processed food (gluten-free parts per million permitted). Anything you eat often is organic!! Lower toxicity from pesticides etc. which are an irritant to the gut already in turmoil. Coffee (whole bean and ground), sugar,   Even spices and supplements.  

I cannot eat any brown rice which is in nearly all processed  breads and some celiac s do not tolerate white rice. The only great bread I have found is Whole Foods  365 sandwich bread which is frozen and reasonable price for the quality.

Get gluten enzyme and take it with any processed food because you still need to eat. 

Then make your own hot drink with green tea, fresh ginger root, lemon and whatever comforts your body!!!

Then make your own healing drink with green tea, fresh ginger, lemon and whatever comforts your body every day!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 years later...
Shane OHanlon Newbie
On 5/10/2017 at 3:44 PM, AristotlesCat said:

I am a coffee drinker and have celiac, and my doctors are telling me my celiac isn't under control. I am getting really bad peripheral neuropathy as a result and my energy levels are insanely low. I've been fanatical about checking labels and in the past few months (just out of pure vigilance to get to the bottom of things) I've only eaten food that is certified gluten free. I am not even making stuff from the produce section out of an abundance of caution. But still my celiac symptoms remain and the doctor tells me it isn't under control. The only possible thing I think it can be is coffee. I do drink Kuerig K-Cups (the Green Mountain Breakfast Blend). When I've contacted them they say there is no gluten in the coffee itself, but I am guessing it is possible there is a cross contamination issue. Does anyone know of coffee brands that are certified gluten free (or at least labeled gluten free and have a good reputation)? I will even go with instant if I have to. 

Also anyone else have positive or negative experiences with certain brands of coffee? 

From what I can peace together ...Tea and Coffee in themselves do not contain gluten however while in the roasting and blending process this is where they become contaminated This has taken me three years to understand I have moved over to roasted chicory which is gluten free it is also worth mentioning that gluten becomes airborne in some settings and you could be coming in contact as a result.

trents Grand Master

I use Kuerig K-cup Green Mountain Breakfast Blend and have not had any noticeable gluten-type reactions to it.

Have you considered oats, dairy, soy, corn or eggs as possible cross reactors? These are common cross-reactor foods for celiacs. They contain proteins similar to those found in gluten containing grains.

Scott Adams Grand Master
5 hours ago, Shane OHanlon said:

From what I can peace together ...Tea and Coffee in themselves do not contain gluten however while in the roasting and blending process this is where they become contaminated This has taken me three years to understand I have moved over to roasted chicory which is gluten free it is also worth mentioning that gluten becomes airborne in some settings and you could be coming in contact as a result.

Welcome to the forum! Please note that there is zero evidence that coffee is contaminated with gluten during roasting, blending, packaging, etc. If you have any info to back up your claim, please share it, but coffee is considered gluten-free and there is very little chance of cross contamination.

• 2 months later...
dovahgolzseyol Rookie
On 5/10/2017 at 3:26 PM, AristotlesCat said:

I have to push back on this. I am not saying everyone should drink certified gluten free coffee. I am saying I was looking for certified gluten free because MY DOCTOR SAID my celiac is still not under control and coffee is the only thing I am currently eating that it could be coming from. So I am hoping to find a better brand than the one I am currently using. And your reaction is to basically dismiss me. 

That said, I think there is a strong argument to be made that celiac organizations should be pushing harder on companies that sell 'naturally gluten free' products. The amount of gluten it takes to trigger a reaction in a celiac is incredibly small and just a little bit of contact with something else being processed in their facility is enough. So it isn't like this is some crazy thing I am proposing. I am not saying all coffee is bad for celiacs or that everyone needs to go 100% gluten free. But it is pretty obvious there isn't enough being done to prevent cross contamination in some areas of the super market. And too many companies rely on 'naturally gluten free' to shield them from having to take steps to prevent cross contamination in their facility. And just an FYI, most coffee manufacturers I have contacted, do not takes such steps even if the coffees share the line with things like flavored coffees that have gluten. 

what brands have do you trust?? which ones do you know to avoid?? 

I'm only 1 year in diagnosis and extremely sensitive to cross contact. I'm worried coffee could be why i am still randomly so sick

Scott Adams Grand Master

I don't recall ever "distrusting" any cup of coffee...😉

I am not saying that cross-contamination is impossible, but very unlikely, especially for the big coffee companies, as the machinery, processing, where it is grown, etc., have little to do with wheat or wheat products. I prefer Peet's which I get a Costco. For those who want to be sure about no chance of contamination, I always recommend buying whole bean coffee, rinsing it off, then grinding it yourself. 

I know that some celiacs claim that coffee is a "cross-reactor" for them, which is usually explained that its protein structure is somehow similar enough with gluten that it can also trigger a reaction in some people, but I've not yet seen the science to support this. Coffee is known to be a trigger for some who have IBS, so I suspect that for many celiacs they may also have IBS that is triggered by additional things besides gluten. You may be one of these people, and it may make sense for you to just cut out coffee for a few weeks, then add it back to see if you have issues.

• 1 year later...
KodiakCupZuko Newbie
On 5/10/2017 at 9:34 AM, Gemini said:

You will never find certified gluten-free coffee because coffee is naturally gluten free.  In 12 years of being gluten-free and many, many cups of coffee later, I have never been cc'd by coffee either.  It is highly doubtful that coffee would be cc'd.

However, coffee is an irritant to the gut so maybe you should just stop drinking if for awhile to see if things improve?  Have you had your antibodies checked to see if it is actually a gluten related problem?  Your symptoms can be caused by so many other things.

I understand what you are saying, but as we have learned, just because it’s naturally gluten free, that does not indicate the product is gluten free. 

For other users on here, I would be very careful about the coffee that you drink, I’ve had swollen hands and joints on and off for a year, and was very tired until I switched to certified gluten free tea. 

Cheers. If there is any certified gluten free coffee, please let us know!! 

trents Grand Master

This isn't advertised as gluten free but it's much easier on the stomach than regular coffee if acidity is causing you issues with regular coffee. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=folgers+smooth+low+acid+coffee&crid=TXBA3SC880KX&sprefix=low+acid+fol%2Caps%2C158&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_12

Scott Adams Grand Master

If you are worried about coffee then it makes sense to get beans and grind them yourself, but I am also not worried about coffee, which I drink daily.