This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Swollen ankles and feet

jantwins

jantwins Newbie

Hi I am sorry to bother but I have just had a strong positive test for coeliac. Went to my doctors a month ago with swollen ankles and feet, the blood tests came back fine apart from low protein in my blood and high haemaglobin, just wondering if anyone else has had these symptoms and on being diagnosed, they have got better?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I have had them for years, but I do not think mine is related to celiac even after getting off gluten for over 3 years it starts off fine in the morning but they swell throughout the day, and by the end of the day the lines in the bottoms of my feet can not be defined and the ankles are a puffy. I found a few things seemed to help like compression wear, supplements to help with circulation, and trying to reduce water retention. NOTE I walk about 12 miles a day average and this might have part to do with it.  I think your issue might be with general inflammation of body caused by the heightened antibodies in your system DO not quote me on this just a side thought perhaps someone else has had symptoms like yours. It is a autoimmune disease and effects people differently with all kinds of issues.

On a side note welcome to the forums. Do you have any other celiac symptoms? I will give some links we generally show to people new to the diet. We do suggest a whole foods diet for the first few months also to help with healing, while your doing this perhaps try reducing your salt intake?

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/

Maggie C Newbie

Gluten and corn cause swelling for me. Corn in all forms 

Liz W Newbie

Low blood protein can be the result of malabsorption in celiac disease and is a possible cause of the swelling in your feet. A gluten-free diet will reduce your symptoms if this is the case. 

High hemoglobin levels seem less likely to be related to celiac disease. Smoking is probably the most  common cause (also living at an altitude). However, if neither of these apply it may be best to discuss this result with your doctor and see what they think is going on.

Good luck! 

marren27 Apprentice

I'm not really sure what causes it, but I know mine get better after I go running.

knitty kitty Grand Master
On 5/18/2017 at 8:33 AM, jantwins said:

Hi I am sorry to bother but I have just had a strong positive test for coeliac. Went to my doctors a month ago with swollen ankles and feet, the blood tests came back fine apart from low protein in my blood and high haemaglobin, just wondering if anyone else has had these symptoms and on being diagnosed, they have got better?

Hello!  Celiac Disease causes malabsorption of nutrients and vitamins.  While you're healing, you may not be able to absorb all you need, and supplementing may be necessary.  Vitamin D and the B complex vitamins are often low in newly diagnosed people.  Here's an interesting article on how low vitamin levels may be contributing to the edema.  

http://www.progressivehealth.com/5-vitamins-to-reduce-fluid-retention.htm

Hope this helps!

jean9v Rookie

I found that I did not have enough iodine in my diet... so I take a Kelp pill... every day or so... I use Kosher salt and Pink Salt... so I need the iodine... I am shocked by what my ankles look like... I was always swollen... If you can eat shellfish... you should not have any issues with this... 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Courtney33 Rookie

My feet used to swell up too. Impossible to sleep. Started using compression stockings and that helped. Off that job for half year, meanwhile getting 100% gluten free. Back on my feet again all day and 2 weeks later notice my feet are not swelling or heating up like before. So yes, there is a connection. 

• 2 years later...
Teresa L Newbie

Good Information,  I had neuroma surgery on my toe joints 6 yrs ago,  but now my feet swell up, and get red on top, they burn and sting, I am not diabetic.  The swelling can last days and weeks. Any suggestions.  Thanks.