This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Maltodextrin/Corn Labeling

Ennis-TX

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Well while I was tracking down a recent source of corn in my diet and a allergic reaction I was rerouted to a company that provides a form of maltodextrin to the company that made the offending product. Here I found some interesting statments about lableing that were slightly appalling,  I find it funny they can label a corn fiber as "Honey" "Dietary Fiber" they are literally trying to hide this stuff.........I underlined some of the points of this. I also including the sites web page at the bottom.

"Fibersol offers multiple label choices, allowing the formulator to choose the best option for desired product positioning. And, with more “friendly sounding” ingredient options, Fibersol can help position products as clean and simple.

Fibersol is derived from U.S.-grown corn, with non-GMO Fibersol available as well. Fibersol®-2 can be labeled as “digestion-resistant maltodexrin,” “resistant maltodextrin,” “maltodextrin,” or “soluble corn fiber.” These statements may be modified with “Fibersol-2 fiber,” “soluble dietary fiber,” “dietary fiber,” “fiber,” “source of dietary fiber,” and similar phrases; for example, “maltodextrin (dietary fiber [Fibersol-2]”). Fibersol-LQ can be labeled as “corn syrup” or “soluble corn fiber,” and Fibersol®-HS can be labeled as “Fibersol-2 (soluble corn fiber), honey, purified steviol glycosides.”

Fibersol-2 has been recognized as GRAS by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), certified kosher and pareve by the Orthodox Union, and halal-certified as well. Many consumers equate kosher and halalfoods with clean, simple formulation."

NOTE I always track done each ingredient to the bulk supplier to the production company as often the company that makes the end product has no bloody clue as to if the chemical compound/flavoring agent is free of allergens.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Interesting Ennis.  I don't see how they can label it honey, seems to not make sense.  Kind of a stretch I think.

Here is an article about Fibersol-2.  Seems they think it is helpful for something in the gut.  Dietary fiber seems to get a lot of positive reviews in medicine circles.

Open Original Shared Link 2015;16(3):460-5. doi: 10.1080/15384047.2015.1009269.

Tumor suppression by resistant maltodextrin, Fibersol-2.

Open Original Shared Link1, Open Original Shared Link, Open Original Shared Link, Open Original Shared Link, Open Original Shared Link, Open Original Shared Link, Open Original Shared Link.

Abstract

Resistant maltodextrin Fibersol-2 is a soluble and fermentable dietary fiber that is Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) in the United States. We tested whether Fibersol-2 contains anti-tumor activity. Human colorectal cancer cell line, HCT116, and its isogenic cells were treated with FIbersol-2. Tumor growth and tumorigenesis were studied in vitro and in vivo. Apoptotic pathway and generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) were investigated. We discovered that Fibersol-2 significantly inhibits tumor growth of HCT116 cells by inducing apoptosis. Fibersol-2 strongly induces mitochondrial ROS and Bax-dependent cleavage of caspase 3 and 9, which is shown by isogenic HCT116 variants. Fibersol-2 induces phosphorylation of Akt, mTOR in parental HCT116 cells, but not in HCT116 deficient for Bax or p53. It prevents growth of tumor xenograft without any apparent signs of toxicity in vivo. These results identify Fibersol-2 as a mechanism-based dietary supplement agent that could prevent colorectal cancer development.

Archived