This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Having Hard time

Christeanna

Christeanna Rookie

I am having a really hard time I was told I'm gluten intolerant I am really trying to stay gluten free but I almost always cave and eat something I shouldn't my doctors are always fussing at me telling me I can't do that and that I get so sick I shouldn't want to ... any advice 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

While a whole food diet is recommended and we always say to avoid gluten free alternatives all the time as the starches they tend to use make them a bit more unhealthy. I always say go ahead and use them every now and then if it keeps your gluten-free and smashes those cravings. Some are actually quite healthy if you pick the ingredients right but there is a gluten-free option for everything you used to eat i even have a list....I mean everything from fish sticks, cheese sticks, instant pasta dishes, breads, pizzas even bloody hot pockets. Here check out this list of everything think of it as just changing brands, I even have places to shop and get things listed and how to order them at your local grocer with a list of UPC codes.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/

tessa25 Rising Star

When you cave, what are you eating? There's gluten free equivalents for everything.

kareng Grand Master

If you don't have Celiac, a little "cheating" might be Ok.

Christeanna Rookie

Usually I eat sweets cupcakes and things like that ... even if I have a little bit I get really sick sweating stomach cramps so bad I feel like I'm pass out or possibly have a seizure  and my husband says it's like I have a food stroke... because afterwards my sentences run together and it's like I'm having a stroke or drunk... I know my symptoms are awful and I know when I eat it it will happen I just get so overwhelmed and every time I think I'm safe it's got something hidden ... so I'm always like this is how my life will be but my doctors are saying that's not a options because I'm having really bad symptoms and been hospitalized for seizures and stuff recently 

tessa25 Rising Star

Betty Crocker gluten free chocolate cake mix makes great cupcakes! Bake a batch, frost them, freeze them and you'll be all set. You just have to learn the exact baking time to get them just right. Too long and they are dry, but just the right time and they are quite yummy.

ironictruth Proficient

Where I live there is an AMAZING gluten-free bakery with awesome cupcakes including, peanut butter cup, s'mores, and others. When I was eating gluten-free my co-workers requested I bring them in for birthdays  even though they could have had regular cupcakes. The bakery also makes a lot of other stuff. Do you have anything like that in your town? Or somewhere nearby? You could probably buy a few things and put them in the freezer. But if you're anything like me they won't stay there very long! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Give yourself time.  My hubby was told to go gluten free some 16 years ago by two medical doctors.  It worked.  But he cheated a lot the first year.  It was hard on him.  But eventually he found that feeling well is better than  feeling like crap.  

I found that we both (I was diagnosed years later) adhered to the diet when we planned our meals and snacks.  I never leave the house without some food.  I always have goodies in the freezer to take with to parties and other social gatherings.  

You can do this.  It just takes time.  If you stick with it, you may find that your doctors gave you good advice (I just hope they ruled out celiac disease first).  

Take care.  

pavlovcat Apprentice

King Arthur Flour has excellent mixes and gluten free recipes if you enjoy baking.  If you live in a city, there are bound to be bakeries and cafes that make gluten free items and some groceries stores that stock them as well.  

Archived