This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms!!!

M-SMOOTH

M-SMOOTH Explorer

Has anyone here experienced chest pain and under left rib cage after being gluten?? I was out of town this past weekend and had a gluten free pizza from a pizza restaurant and may have been cross contaminated??‍♂️

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Yes!!!!  My best advice to expedite healing is to NOT eat out until you are feeling great and really think you have mastered the diet.  If you must eat out, use a site like "Find Me Gluten Free" and select only those restaurants reviewed by celiacs.  Otherwise pack your own food and eat at supermarkets.  I hope you feel better soon!  

M-SMOOTH Explorer

Ok thanks I ate the pizza Saturday night and by Sunday afternoon/evening I started to notice symptoms

cyclinglady Grand Master

It is awful to get glutened.  It happens to the best of us.  I sincerely hope your recovery is super fast!  

apprehensiveengineer Community Regular

Your spleen is on your left side, and is part of your lymphatic system (deals with fighting infections etc.). So not surprising or unreasonable for there to be some pain here due to swelling in response to gluten exposure.

I also get this as well. When I first starting having severe symptoms, I actually thought I had mono because of this. Now I only get it if glutened. As a side tip, I'd say avoid any pizza from a restaurant, even if they proclaim it to be gluten-free. All of their toppings, sauces and surfaces are likely highly contaminated from making and preparing the regular pizza bases. Hope you feel better!

Jmg Mentor
On 5/25/2017 at 7:33 PM, M_SMOOTH said:

Has anyone here experienced chest pain and under left rib cage after being gluten?? I was out of town this past weekend and had a gluten free pizza from a pizza restaurant and may have been cross contaminated??‍♂️

I used to worry I was having a heart attack. The symptoms, a pressing, intense chest pain on left side of chest lasting several minutes sometimes. I went through extensive cardio tests and when they turned up negative was told to live with it. I had bouts of it through my life until I went gluten free for entirely different symptoms. Getting rid of those pains was an unexpected but welcome side effect. It's unpleasant and scary but at least if you know that's the case you have an explanation. Don't let that stop you from seeking medical advice if it persists or is different in any way however. 

This is, as ever, good advice:

On 5/25/2017 at 8:38 PM, cyclinglady said:

My best advice to expedite healing is to NOT eat out until you are feeling great and really think you have mastered the diet.  If you must eat out, use a site like "Find Me Gluten Free" and select only those restaurants reviewed by celiacs.  Otherwise pack your own food and eat at supermarkets.

Just think about a busy pizza place on a weekend. Flour in the air and on the hands of kitchen staff. Someone phones in an order. Are they 'really' gluten free or just (insert stereotype) hipster posers impressing their friends with their fad diet. Either way no time to change gloves or use different tools. etc etc. It's a high risk environment. 

It sucks, but in these first few months particularly you're better errring on the side of caution. 

M-SMOOTH Explorer

I too in the beginning was a bit worried when it first started to happen. I also had blood work, echocardiogram, ekgs, X-rays, stress test, and 48hr monitor to rule out heart which all came back normal. It seems to come on when I believe to have digested gluten I'll be fine then I'll slip up and accidentally eat the wrong thing??‍♂️??‍♂️

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived