This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Red Meat Intolerance Related to Celiac?

BarryC

BarryC Collaborator

I have always had problems with red meat, mostly severe bloating a few hours after consumption.  In fact, I was pretty sure I had IBS (red meat is a main trigger food) before I went gluten free. Now that I am gluten free for a few months and feeling much better overall, I have noticed I still have issues with red meat, maybe not quite as bad. I wonder if gluten has damaged my digestion and it has not fully recovered, or is it possible that even without the gluten it would still be an issue?  Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I have not been able to digest red meat in years, it causes some gas, bloat, and comes out the back undigested. OR I puke it up 3-5 hours after eating it undigested. I find I can eat small amounts if I cook it low and slow til it practically melts and it has to be SUPER lean, Longhorn grass fed seems to work here, any kind of fats or oils from it seems to make me sick. I can eat moderate amounts of fish and crab meat, still comes out the back undigested but none of the other issues.  NOTE I found I have to take large amounts of digestive enzymes , 2x the normal dosage 1 I take is multiple enzyme blend then I take a extra 2 pill of bromine. Seems to make it where I do not throw them up. 

Unsure if celiac related I assumed it was caused by damaged intestines at first, but my last scope showed them healed. I still have issues leaving me to think it might be something else, perhaps a intolerance, lack of chemicals/enzymes in my body to digest meats. I just know that meats are a rare treat for me do to this.......Oddly enough I make my own bone broth with longhorn stew meat and it does not bother me at all. I end up giving the left over meat to my parents normally.

cyclinglady Grand Master

@BarryC

Have you ever Been bitten by a tick?  

Open Original Shared Link

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Hello I was misdiagnosed for 25 years as IBS before I realized with my husbands help I was celiac. I believe I was celiac longer than that. This was coupled with simultaneously and unbeknownst to me my cousins gold standard 2 year quest to confirm her celiac diagnosis. That's the back story

As for my recent 2016 gluten challenge after 3 1/2 yrs gluten-free, I experienced what I describe as a revolt of many of my organs due to their hatred of gluten and their exposure to it for the sake of diagnosis. My liver , gallbladder etc revolted along with cns, joints, muscles etc. My background is biology so bear with me. I struggled with the ability to digest proteins and complex carbs/ high starch content foods after my gluten challenge . My enzymes etc were likely malfunctioning, my organs felt inflamed, and my gi tract struggled on a functional level.

I see an acupuncturist at different intervals during my healing process which personally aids me. Initially I could not do meat / protein I did liquified fruit and veggies, after 4 months I did very small bits of meat 1 oz and cut into small bites and chewed immensely on my end to aid my gi tract. My gallbladder just fired back on full force (prior to that it trickled and struggled) about 3 weeks ago and announced its return following a day after my acupuncture session. It was missed. My digestion is improving but I have much more healing to go. 

So my opinion based on my experience yes it could be damaged and it may not be permanent , but listen to your body. It is in charge of this process. I can digest now but when I do red meat I do only once a week , quality cuts, self marinated  with fresh ingredients, and this aids the process. It's been a long road and I have much longer to go.

not everyone maybe of the alternative medicine route but it works for me and my body responds. My gallbladder needed help, I listened to it, i got it help it asked for, and it fired back after idling and turning over for 40 minutes one night during meditation it fired announcing its presence. 

It was welcomed back by all the companion organs and me.

I have hope for you. Start slow , stay organic, fresh, and baby your gi tract and organs  during their healing process

good luck

BarryC Collaborator

Thanks for the advice!

Posterboy Mentor
On 6/3/2017 at 1:25 PM, BarryC said:

I have always had problems with red meat, mostly severe bloating a few hours after consumption.  In fact, I was pretty sure I had IBS (red meat is a main trigger food) before I went gluten free. Now that I am gluten free for a few months and feeling much better overall, I have noticed I still have issues with red meat, maybe not quite as bad. I wonder if gluten has damaged my digestion and it has not fully recovered, or is it possible that even without the gluten it would still be an issue?  Thanks in advance!

BarryC,

Have you considered digestive enzyme's like Pepsin (not pepcid the acid reducer).

It is important for protein digestion.

It is usually sold in combination with BetaineHCL (powerdered stomach acid) or alone without BetaineHCL.

if you take it (BetaineHCL with Pepsin) be sure to drink it with a glass of water.

Water is necessary to active the stomach acid.

If 3 or 4 capsules of  digestive aides/powdered stomach acid with Pepsin at a meal improve the digestion of meat  then you have been/are low in stomach acid along with your celiac diagnosis.

I wrote a blog post about my experience with low stomach acid.  maybe  it will help you the way it did me.

***** this is not medical advice.  Please study this topic of low stomach acid very carefully  before concluding it might help you.

I only know it helped me. 

good luck on your continued journey.

posterboy by the grace of God,

BarryC Collaborator

Thanks. I also have acid reflux so if anything I have too much stomach acid. I am on omneprazole for that. Tried going off twice but each time it came back with a nengeance, so now I am on it regular. Just another digestive issue I have that made it so hard for me to figure out just what was going on until I decided it was gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Posterboy Mentor
29 minutes ago, BarryC said:

Thanks. I also have acid reflux so if anything I have too much stomach acid. I am on omneprazole for that. Tried going off twice but each time it came back with a nengeance, so now I am on it regular. Just another digestive issue I have that made it so hard for me to figure out just what was going on until I decided it was gluten.

BarryC,

You are getting classic rebound symptom's.

See this study about why taking PPI's make the symptom's worse.

I also recommend chris kresser's 3 part series on the subject.

if it (gerd/heartburn/happens) when you are eating something then your stomach acid (SA) is already to low to digest (carbs) mostly that you are already eating.

And the protein you mentioned in your earlier thread.

going low carb not just gluten free can help.  think ketogenic diet.

*** this is not medical advice but study it for yourself.

I hope this is helpful.

posterboy,

Ennis-TX Grand Master

As posterboy mentioned this does sometimes work...there is a huge rebound thing but some people here have used this method to success. Others it has not worked, bit of you have put up with a week of hell and see if it works for you. Stopping the PPIs and using the HCL and going on a no carb ketogenic diet for a week .

For me it was HUGE NO, but my acid reflex is not typical, but a odd one where my stomach never stops producing acid...got it form a a near death caffeine OD when I was back in Jr. High. Royally broke my system.

In my case I just take a whole bunch of digestive enzymes and focus on ones for fats and proteins.  Try to stew your meats, bake them, smoke them til they practically melt, use VERY LEAN cuts so you do not have fats floating in your stomach. I suggest 98% lean and try to get grass fed only ones like bison, longhorn, venison. etc.  Try to make the digestion process easier and chew it like crazy. These make it so I can eat it in tiny amounts.   You will probably find soft meats like swai, salmon, REAL CRAB (not that imitation crap), to be much easier to digest.  

BarryC Collaborator

Thanks for the info. I am just going to minimise my red meat consumption. It is pretty expensive now anyway.  Sunday roast beef once a month yum!

Ennis-TX Grand Master
29 minutes ago, BarryC said:

Thanks for the info. I am just going to minimise my red meat consumption. It is pretty expensive now anyway.  Sunday roast beef once a month yum!

Yeah pretty much the same for me, I only cook longhorn once a month for myself if that even.  If you lived here in texas I would offer a split with you lol. SO much effort into smoking/slow cooking a bit of a roast for 8-12 hours.

BarryC Collaborator

BTW I also take bone broth which has helped speed up the healing of my digestive system.

Archived