• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.
  • Celiac.com Sponsor:
    Celiac.com Sponsor:

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

ok today is officially one week i've been gluten free and i haven't made any noticeable differences in feeling better. my first question is: how long should i wait to expect changes to occur? am i not giving it enough time? prior to going gluten free one of my issues was constipstion, as well as other health issues usually involving an upset stomach, nausea or an uneasy feeling in my stomach. but since going gluten free i have had a bowel movement different from usual. and today it was more loose and diarrhea like and it is very rarely like that. oh and about half way through the week i got a random rash pop up on one ankle???? advice or suggestions?? 

Edited by dylannn
hashtags and new symptoms

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

What did the doctor say when you asked about testing?

25 minutes ago, Jmg said:

What did the doctor say when you asked about testing?

well i haven't gotten tested because i am still not certain of gluten being the problem so i just wanted to cut it out and see if anything changes before i need to deal with being tested. 

5 minutes ago, dylannn said:

well i haven't gotten tested because i am still not certain of gluten being the problem so i just wanted to cut it out and see if anything changes before i need to deal with being tested. 

Ah, sorry, I'd seen you'd asked previously and hoped you may have take the advice :(

Unfortunately removing gluten prior to testing is one of the classic mistakes that so many of us fall into, myself included! It means that if you notice a difference and then go back for testing you have to reintroduce gluten for a 'challenge' period, which can be much more unpleasant than simply staying on it in the first place and also the chances of a false negative are greater...

I put some info and links together here a little while ago, they may explain it a little better hopefully :)

As for your question, if you've cut out gluten you've got to look at what you've replaced it with. Has the fibre content in your diet changed markedly? Have you removed chances of cross contamination? Are you in a shared kitchen? Are you keeping a food diary?  All these can help in the early stages.

8 minutes ago, dylannn said:

Funny thing is celiac is one backassward disease, you have to be on gluten for 12 weeks for it to show up in your blood testing, and 2 weeks for it to show up in the follow up test that involves a endoscope and biopsies. FIRST get the blood test done before stopping gluten, it is a simple blood test. Ask your doctor for a FULL celiac blood panel, feel free to post your results here for help interpreting them. But for the love of god please get tested before trying the diet. Even if you test negative you can go gluten free afterward and see how you feel then. Cause once you go gluten free going back on gluten will really mess with your system and in most cases the gluten challenge is a living hell if you have been off it for a while.

And no offense but gluten is really hard to eliminate 100% from your diet there is cross contamination issues everywhere, you have to really dedicate yourself to it and clean out the whole house and kitchen. When you start the diet we suggesting looking at several articles like hte newbie 101 etc. about what you will have to do. Like new condiment jars, throwing away scratched dishes, pots, pans, getting new ones, etc. Gluten is a protein smaller then a germ, your body reacts to it with celiac disease, If you can not clean it like blood where a CSI tech can not find it, toss it.

Ads by Google:

Posted (edited)

so if i have been gluten free for a week will reintroducing it suck really bad???? i'm working a lot so i don't have time to waste feeling. sick 😂 @Ennis_TX

Edited by dylannn

You have only been off it for a week, and as mentioned unless your did a clean out and changed 100% over I doubt you removed all source of gluten. It can take 2 weeks for most symptoms to start to go away, reintroducing after 1 weeks you will probably not have that major of a backlash just yet. But some symptoms from a gluten exposure can take up to 6 months to go 100% away, Most people have the symptoms go away in 2-6 weeks really depends from person to person. And healing from damage to the intestines can take years. Took me over 3 years for my villi to heal as an example and I still have major issues with other intolerance with foods, nerve damage, and brain damage from how it effected me.

NOTE you do not have to be eating a TON of gluten for the testing just enough to keep your antibodies up, try half a slice of bread or a few wheat crackers a day. Before bed and sleep off the worst of it til you get the testing finished.