This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Crafted to remove gluten

Jeff A

Jeff A Newbie

I'm very recently diagnosed with celiac, and am trying to navigate what I can and cannot consume.  I am curious about Daura Damm beer that states it is crafted to remove gluten, and is still made with wheat.  Anyone know if the claims that it's crafted to remove gluten means it is safe to drink? Thanks in advance. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
47 minutes ago, Jeff A said:

I'm very recently diagnosed with celiac, and am trying to navigate what I can and cannot consume.  I am curious about Daura Damm beer that states it is crafted to remove gluten, and is still made with wheat.  Anyone know if the claims that it's crafted to remove gluten means it is safe to drink? Thanks in advance. 

Maybe....maybe not.  I won't drink them.  The main problem is the method used to test for gluten in the beer.  I don't believe any of these beers are actually made with wheat.  It isn't the barley in all beers and malt beverages, that is the gluten issue.  A few beers also have wheat.

Open Original Shared Link

Victoria1234 Experienced

There is a whole discussion of Daura here with ppl weighing in both yay and nay. 

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

I don't personally drink it. I am unable to drink alcohol of any kind since my gluten challenge. My husband who is NOT celiac drinks this since my illness sensitivy has made us a completely gluten free home. He tried many Beers gluten-free sorghum based or gluten removed. He enjoys Daura the best. The gluten removed he reports taste better. 

It does smell good to me, but I would not personally try it. My body seems to have a heightened sensitivity to the smell of things I'm sensitive to so this leads me to believe I should not try it. Beer is one of the things I don't miss or crave and pre enlightenment beer use to cause so much urinary output it exceeded what I took in. I now know this to be one of my many symptoms of cc for gluten or another food Intolerant reaction/exposure.

I hope you are able to find something that meets your needs. I would suggest start with the gluten-free not sourced from gluten grain especially while healing then decide if you want to try a gluten removed beer. The GR are perfect for spouses like my husband a victim of my illness to imbibe, but still uphold the gluten free home rules. You may find you don't miss it or crave it. Your body may pick another drink like cider instead. Whatever you pick drink one for me. Good luck on healing and welcome.

kareng Grand Master

I am not sure where you live.  there are some gluten-free beers made more like regular beers.  They are not available every where.  Some you can mail order.  

The sorghum based gluten-free beers are the most widely available.  They take a little getting used to as they are a bit sweet.  

Some gluten-free beers hat are not sorghum based, that I know about -

Martin City Yoga Pants

Ghostfish brewery (available on-line and in the Seattle area)

Glutenberg

New Planet (they have gluten-free removed, too)

Ground Breaker

Green's

Dogfish

Holiday

There are probably a few more.  These are just the ones I have seen and tried that are not sorghum based

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Stick to ciders (I have sipped a few good apple and honey ones that are gluten-free labeled the harder ones taste like beer), gluten free vodkas, tequila, and my personal ones I cook and keep in my house rums. Gluten removed beers are a HUGE iffy with people hell some people are even reacting to distilled liquors made from wheat. Play it safe and stay away from anything made with wheat barley or rye. You can make a ton of mixers with a good rum, vodka, or tequila. Watch out for flavored ones and make sure the vodka is non gluten grain based.   I personally used to enjoy a nice shot of rum in a root beer, cola, or orange soda every Friday night back in the day.

Archived