This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thyroid/Celiac complications?

There-It-Goes

There-It-Goes Newbie

Greetings,

I was diagnosed with Celiac back in March of this year. I have been gluten-free for almost 3 months and while I am beginning to have better days, its been quite a battle. After 6 months of bouncing around to various doctors and receiving a plethora of blood tests, I finally ordered my own IGA antibody test and hit the mark with Celiac. However, while in pursuit of this diagnosis, I had my thyroid tested a number of times as well and received some peculiar results. I wanted to provide those numbers for the more experienced individuals who may be able to interpret my results as I am perplexed by them.

* Note that the reference ranges listed are the same for all.

TSH - (0.4 - 4.5)

FT4 - (0.8-1.8)

FT3 - (2.3-4.2)

TAB(glu) - <1 or =1

TAB(per) - <9

Actual Results (blood NOT drawn at a consistent time)

• 11/16: TSH = 5.22 FT4 = NA FT3 = NA TAB(glu) = NA TAB(per) = NA
  • 01/17: TSH = 2.48 FT4 = 1.2 FT3 = NA TAB(glu) = NA TAB(per) = NA
  • 02/17: TSH = 7.54 FT4 = 1.2 FT3 = 3.3 TAB(glu) = NA TAB(per) = NA
  • 02/23: TSH = 2.72 FT4 = 1.0 FT3 = NA TAB(glu) = <1  TAB(per) = 1 

I understand that stress can cause a fluctuation in your TSH, however I have also read that oscillating TSH can be an early sign of thyroid problems. I have not attempted to schedule a meeting with an endo because the last test showed no issues, especially with the antibodies. Does anyone have any advice on this matter? All help is appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, There_It_Goes said:

Greetings,

I was diagnosed with Celiac back in March of this year. I have been gluten-free for almost 3 months and while I am beginning to have better days, its been quite a battle. After 6 months of bouncing around to various doctors and receiving a plethora of blood tests, I finally ordered my own IGA antibody test and hit the mark with Celiac. However, while in pursuit of this diagnosis, I had my thyroid tested a number of times as well and received some peculiar results. I wanted to provide those numbers for the more experienced individuals who may be able to interpret my results as I am perplexed by them.

* Note that the reference ranges listed are the same for all.

TSH - (0.4 - 4.5)

FT4 - (0.8-1.8)

FT3 - (2.3-4.2)

TAB(glu) - <1 or =1

TAB(per) - <9

Actual Results (blood NOT drawn at a consistent time)

• 11/16: TSH = 5.22 FT4 = NA FT3 = NA TAB(glu) = NA TAB(per) = NA
  • 01/17: TSH = 2.48 FT4 = 1.2 FT3 = NA TAB(glu) = NA TAB(per) = NA
  • 02/17: TSH = 7.54 FT4 = 1.2 FT3 = 3.3 TAB(glu) = NA TAB(per) = NA
  • 02/23: TSH = 2.72 FT4 = 1.0 FT3 = NA TAB(glu) = <1  TAB(per) = 1 

I understand that stress can cause a fluctuation in your TSH, however I have also read that oscillating TSH can be an early sign of thyroid problems. I have not attempted to schedule a meeting with an endo because the last test showed no issues, especially with the antibodies. Does anyone have any advice on this matter? All help is appreciated.

Well, I would strongly recommend seeing a doctor (maybe an endo if your PCP is not thyroid savvy, but I have always used my PCP).   Are you sure you had the hypo-related thyroid antibodies tests (3 of them)?     It looks like you are hypothyroid.  You probably need thyroid replacement, but I am not a doctor!    Thyroid replacement will help you feel better.  My TSH is best at around a 1.  Anything over a 5 and I am wearing flannel PJ's and napping.  Ask for a physical examination for your thyroid to check for nodules and enlargement too.  You can be hypo, but not have Hashi's.  Get that endo appointment, if you can.  

There-It-Goes Newbie
On 6/25/2017 at 11:51 PM, cyclinglady said:

Well, I would strongly recommend seeing a doctor (maybe an endo if your PCP is not thyroid savvy, but I have always used my PCP).   Are you sure you had the hypo-related thyroid antibodies tests (3 of them)?     It looks like you are hypothyroid.  You probably need thyroid replacement, but I am not a doctor!    Thyroid replacement will help you feel better.  My TSH is best at around a 1.  Anything over a 5 and I am wearing flannel PJ's and napping.  Ask for a physical examination for your thyroid to check for nodules and enlargement too.  You can be hypo, but not have Hashi's.  Get that endo appointment, if you can.  

I have scheduled myself an appointment with an endo, thankfully I was able to get in at the end of next month. The most confusing part is not knowing if 1) these numbers actually indicate a thyroid problem, or rather they are complications of celiac and stress, or 2) these are actual thyroid problems, and under which condition do my symptoms lie (celiac or thyroid)? How were you able to distinguish which problems were caused by which?

cyclinglady Grand Master

Oversight on my part, but they tested TAB which is thyroid antibodies and that was negative on 2/23.  Why are the rest of the dates N/A for TAB?.  Were they not measured then, or you did not order it?  

Something else besides autoimmune maybe the cause of your fluctuating TSH:

Open Original Shared Link

If you were already on thyroid medication, I could see that malabsorption from celiac disease could be the cause of your fluctuating TSH.   That is common.

So, sorry I do not know.  It is good that you got an appointment with the endo.  

There-It-Goes Newbie
25 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Oversight on my part, but they tested TAB which is thyroid antibodies and that was negative on 2/23.  Why are the rest of the dates N/A for TAB?.  Were they not measured then, or you did not order it?  

Something else besides autoimmune maybe the cause of your fluctuating TSH:

If you were already on thyroid medication, I could see that malabsorption from celiac disease could be the cause of your fluctuating TSH.   That is common.

So, sorry I do not know.  It is good that you got an appointment with the endo.  

They are N/A because they were not tested for on those dates. Also, I have never been on thyroid medication so I can rule that possibility out. Is it possible that TSH fluctuates before hypo presents itself? It has been 4 months since my last test and a few symptoms that I thought would resolve themselves by now on my gluten-free diet have persisted which is making me question these thyroid numbers further. 

knitty kitty Grand Master

Maybe this article can help.  

Malabsorption of nutrients can make the body do weird things.  

cyclinglady Grand Master

Even a virus can mess up your thyroid.    Again, best to see that endo.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived