• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
1 1
Jules22

Still trying to process

Rate this topic

My type 1 diabetic daughter has an appointment with the gastro next week but something I'm wrestling with in her test results

her immunoglobulin A was 78- lower than range which is 80- up

her transglutinminase TTG IGA was > 100

Is she immunoglobulin a deficient?  If she is, doesn't the deficiency only rule out negative results and since she is very much positive then she is definitely headed toward a celiac diagnosis?

Thanks!- I'm having a hard time waiting for this appointment 

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

To my knowledge a deficiency only rules out a negative. >100 is very high to be anything other than celiac, in my opinion. She should stay on gluten until after the endoscopy, assuming the doctor orders one.

Yea even deficient in IGA she is very positive.  Your little is likely celiac.  Ditto to still eating gluten till the endoscopy.  It is important to have it to correlate the diagnosis!

I agree it is pretty certain with a number that high that she is celiac. Do keep her on gluten until you see the GI. Depending on her age, and the GI's preferences, the doctor may want to do an endo.

It is hard when your child is sick to wait but thankfully next week will be here soon. I hope she heals quickly.

Thanks for the responses- I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for another possible explanation.

Ads by Google:

I know.  It is a lot to process, but it is doable.  You ALL will have the rest of the summer to research and learn about the gluten free diet and learning how to avoid cross contamination.  Planning and being prepared always will make it much easier.  

Your daughter will so much better in school if she is feeling well. 

Just wondering if you have an update at all? Going through the same thing at the the moment with my type 1 14 yr old.

I would be interested to know what your gi said and how your daughters doing now?

xx

Ads by Google:

9 hours ago, Lindsey1978 said:

Just wondering if you have an update at all? Going through the same thing at the the moment with my type 1 14 yr old.

I would be interested to know what your gi said and how your daughters doing now?

xx

You can go here, which is found by clicking on the posters name https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/profile/74789-jules22/ and read her most recent posts about the biopsies.