This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

DH Rash from Roundup (Glyphosate)?

Winda

Winda Newbie

I'm a 48-year-old woman and as far as I know, never had a sensitivity to gluten. I do however have PCOS and follow a low-carb diet because it helps with the PCOS symptoms. I'm not so strict about it anymore but I'm mindful of how much bread and carby foods I eat... always eat burgers without the bun but will occasionally have a slice of pizza. I realize if I have celiac that will have to change.

About a month ago I started getting a rash on my elbows. It's extremely itchy to the point it wakes me up at night. I was afraid it was scabies so treated with permethrin twice, a week apart. That should have taken care of scabies, but it's still spreading. I have spots all over my arms and legs now. It's only on my arms, legs, and a few spots on the back of my neck  and shoulders.

After reading up on Celiac, DH and many articles that say Glyphosate (active ingredient of Roundup) is causing an epidemic of celiac disease, I wonder if skin exposure to Roundup would explain this? Or could it have triggered Celiac disease? I sprayed several gallons of Roundup a few weeks before the rash started. It probably wasn't smart to do that wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Is it possible that I'm not celiac but having a reaction to the Roundup?

I'm at my wit's end and so far haven't been able to find a local dermatologist who can see me earlier than October. Other than the permethrin, I've tried bleach baths, Benadryl pills and cream, hydrocortisone cream, turmeric essential oil (this actually seemed to help, but it STINKS), calamine lotion, apple cider vinegar, bentonite clay, Neosporin, shea butter, and tanning (also seems to help a little.)

IMG_3300.webp

IMG_3301.webp

IMG_3305.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Victoria1234 Experienced

Oh my, your rash looks similar to the dh rash I used to get. Don't stop eating gluten and get an appt. with a dermatologist asap to get a biopsy. Make sure they do it properly with a sample done in a clear area next to the lesion.

good luck and keep us updated. Welcome to the forum!

Winda Newbie

Thank you Victoria. I'm going to try again Monday to see if any dermatologist can get me in sooner. 

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Have you seen your GP? That should be your first step. Your GP can order the celiac panel for you.  Celilac is an autoimmune disease and has nothing to do with Round-up use. If this was an allergic reaction to using the herbiside it would have shown up within a short time of your using it.  The third pic does resemble my DH lesions but it also looks like poison ivy. My DH in childhood was attributed to my having 'poison ivy in my blood' according to my ped. Something that is impossible. I saw multiple dermatologist over the 40 or so years before I was diagnosed with  celiac and heard the rash was everything from contact dermatitis to picker's acne. Long story short make sure if you see a derm that they are familiar with DH as many are not.

Try cool or cold compresses to see if it gives you some relief. Don't know if it will help you but was the only thing that did give me some relief.

Make sure you keep eating gluten until all your celiac related testing is done and I hope you get some relief soon.

Winda Newbie

Thank you ravenwoodglass. I haven't seen my GP, thinking since my only real symptom is the rash I should see a dermatologist about it. Maybe I could get a diagnosis quicker with GP though. I really don't want it to be celiac, I guess that's why I'm trying to find other reasons, like the Roundup. If it is celiac though, I need to know.

Should I eat more gluten before being tested? Since I follow a semi-low-carb diet I eat less gluten than most people do.

Victoria1234 Experienced
36 minutes ago, Winda said:

Thank you ravenwoodglass. I haven't seen my GP, thinking since my only real symptom is the rash I should see a dermatologist about it. Maybe I could get a diagnosis quicker with GP though. I really don't want it to be celiac, I guess that's why I'm trying to find other reasons, like the Roundup. If it is celiac though, I need to know.

Should I eat more gluten before being tested? Since I follow a semi-low-carb diet I eat less gluten than most people do.

Keep eating gluten. No more is necessary than a piece or two a day .

knitty kitty Grand Master

Winda, 

Here's an article that might help explain how glyphosates effects the body and may trigger Celiac Disease.

Open Original Shared Link

I was recently exposed to glyphosates (thanks to the lawn service spraying) and have had an outbreak of DH all over my body within days.  Taking niacinamide helps mine go away faster.  Some have found good results with niacin containing creams.  

You might just be having an irritation reaction to the weed killer.  However, PCOS is one of the over three hundred symptoms or coexisting conditions that happens with celiac disease.  Perhaps the Roundup exposure kicked your immune system into high gear.  Best to get it checked out by a doctor, like ravenwoodglass suggested.  

Hope this helps.

(Thanks, Victoria!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Winda Newbie
8 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Winda, 

Here's an article that might help explain how glyphosates effects the body and may trigger Celiac Disease

I was recently exposed to glyphosates (thanks to the lawn service spraying) and have had an outbreak of DH all over my body within days.  Taking niacinamide helps mine go away faster.  Some have found good results with niacin containing creams.  

You might just be having an irritation reaction to the weed killer.  However, PCOS is one of the over three hundred symptoms or coexisting conditions that happens with celiac disease.  Perhaps the Roundup exposure kicked your immune system into high gear.  Best to get it checked out by a doctor, like ravenwoodglass suggested.  

Hope this helps.

(Thanks, Victoria!)

Thanks for the article. It makes sense to me that the Roundup may have triggered it. Going to check into the niacinamide. 

Archived