• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Almost 11yr old son, celiac maybe?
4 4

16 posts in this topic

We ran some blood work after blood in his stool.

Deamidated gliding abs, IgA 119, strong positive >30.  

T- transglutaminase  (tTG) IgA 69, positve >10. 

Is this suggesting he does have celiac?  And do we go see a GI doc? What other tests and hoping to avoid a biopsy. 

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Welcome! 

Yes, it appears that your son most likely has celiac disease.  The next step is to get a referral to a GI.  Have your son continue to eat gluten daily until all testing is complete.  Until then learn more about testing and the benefits of an endoscopy (sounds scary, but plenty of parents here were glad they had it done).  Of course you should discuss this with your GI.  

celiac disease is definitely genetic and is an autoimmune disorder like Type 1 diabetes or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis  so, all first degree family members should be tested -- even if symptom free.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

This would be a good time to research the diet and learn all that you can about celiac disease.  It takes time to learn but it can be done.  

Hang in there!  

Thank you.  We should test for Graves and hashimotos too correct? 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, monicameme said:

Thank you.  We should test for Graves and hashimotos too correct? 

No.   I am sorry I was not clear.   Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder like (similar) Graves or Hashimoto's.   If those disorders run in your family, you might discuss it with your doctor.  For example, when I was diagnosed with celiac disease, my doctor tested my daughter for celiac disease.  He also check her thyroid since we have a very strong family history of thyroid disorders.  

Edited by cyclinglady

If there was blood in his stool they might want a endoscope and a colonoscopy, red blood in the stool means there is something in the large intestine. Dark tar like stool would suggest smaller intestines or something further up. I had blood in my stool for years never could figure it out til we learned it was Ulcerative Colitis. Of course his could be something simple like a polyp, small cut, hemorrhoid etc.

Ads by Google:

Thyroid disease does run in the family.  And yes it was red blood not black or tarry, darn it.  Thanks.

And is an Internal Medicine practice appropriate?  I'm not finding many GI docs around here. 

Our insurance won't allow us to go to the GI docs closet to us (within 30 min to an hour), so i found a pediatric GI  2 1/2 hrs away.  She has good reviews on the internet so hopefully the trip will be worth the time.  I've been doing lots of reading.  The book i have is from 2010.  Can anyone recommend a good book maybe more updated to 2017, hopefully i can find it at my library?  Thanks

On 7/9/2017 at 11:22 PM, monicameme said:

We ran some blood work after blood in his stool.

Deamidated gliding abs, IgA 119, strong positive >30.  

T- transglutaminase  (tTG) IgA 69, positve >10. 

Is this suggesting he does have celiac?  And do we go see a GI doc? What other tests and hoping to avoid a biopsy. 

You could try talking to your Ped and seeing if he/she will diagnose based on a decrease in antibodies gluten free. His blood work is very positive so there really is no doubt he is celiac but you need the 'official' diagnosis to keep him safe in school. There is some research showing that biopsy is not needed in children when blood results are so clearly positive.

I'm hoping the GI will say no endo but i know its not a huge deal if we do from what i've read, so we'll see.  Our doc really doesn't know much about Celiac and i'm not entirely comfortable just doing that with him.  He seemed to think it was possibly just a wheat allergy but when i got on the internet it seems it's more likely Celiac which is different from what i am reading. 

45 minutes ago, monicameme said:

He seemed to think it was possibly just a wheat allergy but when i got on the internet it seems it's more likely Celiac which is different from what i am reading. 

I was always of the impression that very strong positive celiac numbers like you posted could only be celiac. Not a doc though.

Me either, that's why i think it's important to see the GI since my GP doesn't seem to have much knowledge on the subject.  I wasn't sure if these were considered very strong, although it looks like it, i don't know how it is compared to others with Celiac.  As long as she (GI) is going to give a celiac diagnosis i am happy not having him do an endo.  We go on Monday so we'll see. 

Our GI dr said a strong positive blood test and positive genetic screening for celiac were sufficient to confirm celiac. So we went that route instead of the endo. Our son was 2 at time of diagnosis. I'd talk to your dr about referral to a nutritionist if possible too. We saw one and she was helpful for the initial transition. It was only a few months into the gluten free diet and we knew more than the nutritionist, but right away she gave us info we wouldn't have thought about like replacing kitchen supplies.

2 hours ago, monicameme said:

I'm hoping the GI will say no endo but i know its not a huge deal if we do from what i've read, so we'll see.  Our doc really doesn't know much about Celiac and i'm not entirely comfortable just doing that with him.  He seemed to think it was possibly just a wheat allergy but when i got on the internet it seems it's more likely Celiac which is different from what i am reading. 

A wheat allergy would not produce those numbers not to mention those are not the blood tests one would do for a wheat allergy. The tests that were done are for celiac disease.

BTW, if the GI gives him a dx, which I'm sure will happen whether or not she does an endoscopy, then all 1st degree relatives need to be tested every 2 years in the absence of symptoms & immediately if symptoms present. Everyone to be tested will have to be eating gluten for at least 12 weeks before testing.

On 7/17/2017 at 7:16 PM, squirmingitch said:

A wheat allergy would not produce those numbers not to mention those are not the blood tests one would do for a wheat allergy. The tests that were done are for celiac disease.

BTW, if the GI gives him a dx, which I'm sure will happen whether or not she does an endoscopy, then all 1st degree relatives need to be tested every 2 years in the absence of symptoms & immediately if symptoms present. Everyone to be tested will have to be eating gluten for at least 12 weeks before testing.

Thanks for the info.  I will ask the GI about my twin sister and nephews to see if they need to be tested regularly too.  I'm hoping our insurance will pay for gene testing also to help rule any of us out if possible.

Think about this.  I have only had my daughter tested for celiac disease.  She tested negative.  She will need to be retested sometime in the future or when symptoms develop.  But genetic testing?  This might impact her insurability in terms of health and life.  I do not have the answers, but I would research this before having everyone tested.  Some 40% of the population carries the genes to develop celiac disease.  Only a very few actually develop it.  Insurance companies will deny you for all kinds of lame reasons.  Just be careful.