This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is It Possible for a person...

Dawn-Ambrose

Dawn-Ambrose Rookie

To be intolerant of so many different foods?

Gluten (I.e wheat, barley, rye). In regards to this I have a family history of Celiac disease (brother and mother) and apparently had to have gluten free baby food when I was a baby because I could not tolerate the gluten based formulas/foods. I am not dignosed with celiac disease though (as far as I'm aware..i only found about needing gluten free foods as baby from reading a few of my medical notes, but not all of them. Apparenlty I was underweight and being sick. They put me on gluten free food and I was fine).

Dairy...cheese seems to be ok, cream is fine if i dont over do it, butter is fine if I dont over do it, milk makes me flatulant and will almost go straight through me if I drink it.

Coffee....straight through/gut ache/headache.

Oats....straight through.

Sugar...Makes me irritable and hungry

Soya...straight through again

Artifical sweeteners...Migraine

Fruit....can tend to irritate my IBS but it depends on what it is.

Im basically reduced to just eating meat, fish, seafood, limited fruits, limited amount of nuts (too many give me jip but they are ok in moderation), some green vegetables and only drinking water.

Could I have another issue causing my loss of bowel control, pale colour stools (which apparently float) or can a person really be intolerant to all the foods listed above at the same time?

Don't tell me to see a dr. I have long term health issues in the form of fatigue, brain fog, feeling generally ill, bloating, loss of bowel control, stomach pain, pale stools, loss of bowel control etc which they just keep putting down to anxiety and depression. As this has been writen on my medical records they won't take my symptoms seriously even though they are often crippling. I did ask about celiac due to my history and the family history but the dr just laughed at me. One did do a blood test whilst I was on a gluten free diet a few years ago but it was negative. I did go back to gluten after that but am now back off gluten again (for 4 weeks now ive been gluten free) and whilst Ive had improvements in symptoms such as fagitue, brain fog, bloating, acid reflux etc I still get some loss of bowel control especially after drinking coffee or milk.

Im just looking for a resolution to my symptoms. Something is making me feel really ill and has been for years. I still suspect gluten as its only been a month since i stopped eating it again and it really does seem to knock me about a lot (I found out about my gluten free need for baby food after i started suspecting gluten to be an issue) but I cant get anyone or the drs to take me seriously because i was given a mental health label for my symptoms.

Its gotten to the point im considering going to the CAB as health services keep trying to give me support for a bunch of symptoms i dont have such as beating myself up, self loathing, constant melancholy (not that im feeling happy with my life right now but i wouldnt say i was constantly low for no reason...i just need to change things so my life is better), or for anxiety im not experiencing (such as when i get diarrhea).

I also feel feverish a lot and get muscle and sometimes joint pain (more muscle than joint).

I seem to be sensitive to so many differnt foods, I just don't know what to do with my gut or how to get a second opinon whilst avoiding the NHS. Its been 20 years, if they wont listen to me in that time they are not going to so its obviously time to do or see someone else...but whom and/or what?

Any suggestions please, im at my whits end...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am sorry that you are struggling with this!  With a family history of celiac disease, you have a strong chance of being celiac yourself.  All celiac testing requires you to be on a gluten diet for 8 to 12 weeks.  So, you seem to have two choices.  Go back on gluten for that period of time and push for celiac testing or remain gluten free for life.  Healing can take months to years based on the individual patient and their set of symptoms and collateral damage.  Yes, all those other food intolerances can be related to celiac disease.  

I am surprised that even with a negative blood test, your doctor did not order an endoscopy with two immediate family members who are diagnosed. 

I am in the US.  Let's hope that some fellow U.K. Members can offer advice about medical care.  Hang in there.  

tessa25 Rising Star

Next time your up for 12 weeks of daily gluten eating, as cyclinglady mentions, sign up at walkinlab.com, and order your own celiac comprehensive blood test for $298 after the 12 weeks. It's not covered by insurance. But it is the full celiac panel including TTG IGA and IGG, DGP IGA and IGG, IGA, EMA. Head to the nearest Labcorp for the blood draw. You'll get results in a few days, no docs required. If it comes up positive you can give it to your least annoying gastroenterologist and get the endoscopy.

Archived