This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Magnesium and nightmares

Victoria1234

Victoria1234 Experienced

Since I started my magnesium supplements I've had the most lucid nightmares. Every night. And I'm not the type to have nightmares. Anyone else?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I have lucid dreams if I take it before bed, otherwise just darkness and the black void. I would think dreaming is a good sign regardless of nightmares etc. You mention lucid, as in you have control right? I have been actually enjoying them, as it is like some kind of odd game, where you can control what you will. Perhaps because I used to play video games alot before my nerve issues, but I find them amusing and fun if I can summon, and change them right. Is very frustrating when not completely lucid or you get those ones where you seem to have restrictions on what you can do in them. I do sometimes get the bad ones, but regardless the details become blurrs a few hours after waking,

Victoria1234 Experienced

Oh I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone.

Yes, the dreams that I have are fairly lucid. I can control them somewhat. It's like I'm really living them. As a teenager I could control my dreams 100% but I had to train myself to do it. Now if I take 200mg of that magnesium before bed, wham! And it's one nightmare per night  (within an hour of falling asleep) yet sometimes I get a good dream along for the ride. And the good dreams are really pretty. Like gorgeous sunsets at the beach...

ps when I was a hardcore gamer, I'd dream like I was playing a video game. Like the hud and score would be at the top and the dream would be somewhat framed.

Posterboy Mentor
8 hours ago, Victoria1234 said:

Since I started my magnesium supplements I've had the most lucid nightmares. Every night. And I'm not the type to have nightmares. Anyone else?

Victoria1234,

Dreaming is a sign the Magnesium is working.

I went probably 10 years without remembering a dream and within the first week of taking Magnesium.  I now dream regularly.

posterboy,

Victoria1234 Experienced
11 hours ago, Posterboy said:

Victoria1234,

Dreaming is a sign the Magnesium is working.

I went probably 10 years without remembering a dream and within the first week of taking Magnesium.  I now dream regularly.

posterboy,

Thanks for letting me know!

• 2 weeks later...
Pegleg84 Collaborator

Really!? Well, that could explain a few things.

I started taking magnesium/calcium supplements regularly a few months ago (and it's helping a lot with my twitchy muscles), and have indeed been having very vivid intense dreams. I've been blaming my medication for Fibromyalgia, but maybe the combo of the drugs + magnesium is sending my subconscious into overdrive. They aren't lucid, but they're like stepping into some near-future dystopian sci-fi novel. Seriously, some good writing material.

How much magnesium are you taking? I think mine amounts to about 250mg (+500mg calcium).

Jmg Mentor

I'm just a few days into magnesium supplementation and noticing more vivid dreams already. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
4 hours ago, Pegleg84 said:

I started taking magnesium/calcium supplements regularly a few months ago (and it's helping a lot with my twitchy muscles), and have indeed been having very vivid intense dreams. I've been blaming my medication for Fibromyalgia, but maybe the combo of the drugs + magnesium is sending my subconscious into overdrive. They aren't lucid, but they're like stepping into some near-future dystopian sci-fi novel. Seriously, some good writing material.

How much magnesium are you taking? I think mine amounts to about 250mg (+500mg calcium).

800-1200mg of day of magnesium mix of Magnesium Citrate and Magnesium glycinate/lycinate,  I work out a a lot and have severe issues with deficiency in it so a higher amount is needed and I spread the dose out 3 time a day.

Posterboy Mentor
8 hours ago, Pegleg84 said:

Pegleg84,

Here is a good thread about the benefits of Magnesium and some issues people have with taking it.

Notice  with smaller doses at little as 100mg or 150mg (the size of nature mades Citrate Ligquidgels) Victoria1234 felt better even taken small doses of it.

The RDA is 400 mg best taken in divided doses (with each meal).  Though as Ennix_tx notes some people have to take it in higher doses.

I think the normal/minimum amount is closer to 600mg which is what the Canadian RDA is.

I find if I take it morning, evening and 30 minutes to 1 hour before bedtime it works best for my schedule. (see below and Glycinate usually doesn't flush the way Citrates' especially on an empty stomach can).

I have taken it for years in a Citrate form because it is reasonally priced and an easily bio absorbed form.

But Glycinate has all the benefits of the Citrate form without any of the flushing (of multiple doses) of citrate (in higher amounts) sometime causes especially when you first begin taking Magnesium.

And now I take it in the Glycinate form because the more I studied about it the more I realized it was the superior form.

But as long as you keep any doses you take under 200mg and 2 to 4 hours apart you will only experience positive results.

I hope this is helpful.

I couldn't leave without it today!  I haven't had  a charlie horse in years.  I USED to wake in the night from screaming pain because my legs cramped.

Magnesium cured them (Charlie Horse's)!

***** this in not medical advice just my experience with taking Magnesium.

posterboy by the grace of God,

Edited by Posterboy
I saw that I had the wrong tense in the sentence I usually waked to "I used to wake".
Ennis-TX Grand Master

Started keeping a dream diary for these lucid dreams, and having a bit of fun seeing if the amount of doctors best magnesium changes how intense and vivid they are. THERE is a direct correlation between the dose and how vivid the dreams are.  

I found it funny the majority of my dreams center around this disease, 3 out of 4 in the past 5 days did.

I had one about what seemed like I was working and teaching in a halfway house for celiacs....Like home ec classes on avoiding CC and fixing safe meals, teaching about deficiencies and identifying them and what to take, I know there was some other stuff but it is sorta blurred but involved doctors, and some kind of physical therapy?

Another was a straight up nightmare that someone antiqued me in front of my house with flour, and flashed back to me in a shower and I could not get the flour off it was and it was mixed with glitter and I kept washing and washing and more kept going down the drain.

Had another which was like multiple episodes in one night, started off with me and Lucas McCain from the rifle man having a shooting competition and I won after several rounds...oddly enough he missed cause a cougar ran across the firing line, and the marshal ruled in my favor regardless then we started talking about kids not being brought up right now days, not judging people by first impressions and accepting them in the end. It then got crazy with random guys fighting with swords and flying little girls dressed in like Sherlock homles clothing like someone changed the channel it was brief do not recall much but I know it was nonsense and crazy.

Then had another one about me cooking a gluten free meal with chef Ramsey for Obama.....odd one and the details did not come out too well but I recall a overall feeling of great satisfaction and fulfillment.

Victoria1234 Experienced
1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

Started keeping a dream diary for these lucid dreams, and having a bit of fun seeing if the amount of doctors best magnesium changes how intense and vivid they are. THERE is a direct correlation between the dose and how vivid the dreams are.  

I found it funny the majority of my dreams center around this disease, 3 out of 4 in the past 5 days did.

I had one about what seemed like I was working and teaching in a halfway house for celiacs....Like home ec classes on avoiding CC and fixing safe meals, teaching about deficiencies and identifying them and what to take, I know there was some other stuff but it is sorta blurred but involved doctors, and some kind of physical therapy?

Another was a straight up nightmare that someone antiqued me in front of my house with flour, and flashed back to me in a shower and I could not get the flour off it was and it was mixed with glitter and I kept washing and washing and more kept going down the drain.

Had another which was like multiple episodes in one night, started off with me and Lucas McCain from the rifle man having a shooting competition and I won after several rounds...oddly enough he missed cause a cougar ran across the firing line, and the marshal ruled in my favor regardless then we started talking about kids not being brought up right now days, not judging people by first impressions and accepting them in the end. It then got crazy with random guys fighting with swords and flying little girls dressed in like Sherlock homles clothing like someone changed the channel it was brief do not recall much but I know it was nonsense and crazy.

Then had another one about me cooking a gluten free meal with chef Ramsey for Obama.....odd one and the details did not come out too well but I recall a overall feeling of great satisfaction and fulfillment.

I seem to have a dream world where everything is the same and I just go back to it nite after nite. Usually pretty comforting unless it's one of those darn nightmares! I guess my body got used to the dose as I don't have the nightmares anymore and I'm back to the big c. It's even a bit worse now. Not sure what to do.

Posterboy Mentor

victoria1234,

I think you said in a previous post you were only taking it (Magnesium) at a 100mg.

This is not enough to help with the big C.

Around 300mg Magnesium Citrate begins to flush people.

When I used the Natural Calm powder form I found I often exceeded this amount when my teaspoon was rounded up.

Or if I took 2 - 200mg tablets of Magnesium Citrate I would experience the Magnesium flush about twenty minutes later.

Magnesium Glycinate will not flush the way the Citrate form can when taken in higher doses.

You can always take Colace or Pericolace for the big C.

I took colace for years before I found about the natural ability of Magnesium to help constipation.

I also suggest taking Magnesium with each meal to help with general fatigue and cramps.

Don't give up on Magnesium until you take a sufficient amount of it.

I mentioned this in another post.  The RDA is 400mg.  The Canadian RDA is 600mg.

RDAs are the absolute minimum needed to function normally.

I take about 600 to 800mg in divided doses a day and find I have regular dreams and my charlie horse's (cramps) have never came back.

And I don't get constipated anymore either. 

And if I do slow down I just take a double dose of Magnesium Citrate and things speed up if you know what I mean.

If you want to try other herbal treatments try a senna based laxative or drink supper slimming tea (start with a half a cup a day) has senna in it and work your way up to a cup a day.

You might try eating more pears too they have 40% of a day's fiber in one Pear.  And eat more Plums too.

For diabetics malitol flavored sweets can have a mild laxative effect when eaten in higher doses.

I hope this is helpful.

*****this is not medical advice just my experience with having to take laxative's to keep the big C. at bay most of my life and finding taking Magnesium was a better way for me.

posterboy,

Ennis-TX Grand Master
23 hours ago, Victoria1234 said:

I seem to have a dream world where everything is the same and I just go back to it nite after nite. Usually pretty comforting unless it's one of those darn nightmares! I guess my body got used to the dose as I don't have the nightmares anymore and I'm back to the big c. It's even a bit worse now. Not sure what to do.

I was doing some reading on the RDA for Magnesium and it is in the 400mg range as min. in America, BUT many health professionals talk about it needing to be DOUBLE THAT. In the case of celiac disease we have issues with absorption so I would say DEFINITE double to 800 as your minimum. I would space it out in 2-3 doses and perhaps do what I do on stressful days and bring it up 1000-1200 in 3-4 doses.   This might sound crazy, and for normal people this would be crazy, but when your body is under stress, from mental or physical you need more magnesium. You will also have to be careful with your other salts and balance them out with this, sort of reminds me of a soundboard and trying to adjust the different sliders and if one goes up you have to adjust the others in a certain ratio to keep harmony or one throws everything out of whack. Go ahead and look up deficiencies on magnesium and the side effects along with other nutrients related to it. See if any of the other symptoms match up.

Also bit about fiber, there are 2 types of fiber for constipation, insoulable and soluble, the insoluble makes up the bulk of your waste and you need it to keep things moving, you need soluble to help feed the flora in your intestines and with a few nutrients. Try adding a good blend like hemp, pumpkin, ground flax, etc. to you diet and some more nuts. I know avocado can help also. I find a good 50-70g of fiber a day helps keep me regular in combination with the magnesium.

Victoria1234 Experienced

Thanks Ennis and posterboy. I will up the magnesium and try to bulk up with more fiber. Wish there was a way to bookmark these posts so I can come back later easily.

knitty kitty Grand Master

Vitamin C is supposed to be helpful in relieving constipation.  And it helps with the absorption of some minerals.  Hope this helps.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Jumping back in on this topic.

I've started taking my magnesium earlier in the evening rather than shortly before bed like i had been, and so far so good! Still regular and less muscle spasms, but no crazy sweaty dreaming (or not as vivid at least). I'm taking about half the recommended daily dose though (250 calcium/125 magnesium) but taking it daily seems to be working fine.

Maybe on the weekend (when I know I don't have to get up super groggy for work) I'll test the theory out and take it before bed. If the technicolour dreams come back, I'll know it's the magnesium. (seriously, I wake up feeling kinda drugged, but that could be it interacting weird with the medication I'm on)

Sweet dreams!

• 2 years later...
AndyGeog Newbie

I've been experiencing vivid/weird dreams since STOPPING the diet pill supplement GOLO in August 2019 [ 9 months ago! ]... I had only completed 2/3 of my first bottle of this supplement... then I stopped it because it didn't seem effective in helping me with my weight-loss goal... that was in August 2019... Looking back; I notice that my strange/weird dreams started at about that time... as there were no other changes in my medication or environment, both very stable, as i am in long-term care [ i'm age 59 ]... the only other big thing that happened to me in August 2019 was my cardiology appt. where i became quite enamored with my cardiologist... I notice from the label of the 90 capsule bottle of GOLO [ of which i ingested about 60 capsules (somewhat sporadically over the month of August 2019) ], that each capsule contains 15mg of magnesium, which seems to be the main ingrediant of this supplement... but only AFTER - STOPPING this supplement did the strange/weird dream begin :(

unlike long-ago now; my new dreams leave me confused and uncomfortable as they involve mostly living people who i know or have known but functioning and speaking, in my dreams, in inappropriate roles  :( 

Edited by AndyGeog
Looking back... dream > dreams
  • 1 month later...
DJFL77I Experienced

i've been dreaming regularly since going on gluten free diet....  and i used to never dream before..  or very very rarely..