This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Catching illnesses - starting gym routines

Vitalia

Vitalia Newbie

Hey, so I've been noticing a pattern where everytime I start a new workout routine or try to do a 30 day challenge, my body catches a cold or a flu. I usually end up quitting and resting but I want to be fitter and I just made a 21 day commitment to eat clean and exercise 6 days a week. Nothing crazy, I'm eating excellent food and often and my routines are not horrendously hard; just 25 minutes cardio at 60 second intervals and strength work alternating. This week is 35 minutes alternating. I'm curious if anyone else has had these roadblocks to fitness and if and how you got through it. Thanks so much. I should also mention I've been gluten-free for 2 years however have had some contamination issues or restaurant episodes despite being very careful. So frustrating as you all know. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Hmm I played the safe route, and hardly leave my house. I invested in a bowflex extreme SE I ninja bid on Ebay for under $150 over 2 years ago. BEST investment ever, paid for itself over gym fees in under 6 months. I also got a stationary exercise bike I put under my desk, and I move to the the couch in front of the TV and use it all the time. And every morning I start with exercise before eating. 3 days a week with HITT for 20mins and Yoga the other 4 days. I mix it up constantly trying to bulk up now and doing quite good.

Thoughts if your excising your body is going to be using more magnesium, zinc, iron, and  some other key nutrients ALOT more. As a celiac your prone to issues with the first 3 SO you MUST supplement them in greater amounts or your immune system becomes more compromised along with the rest of you body.

cyclinglady Grand Master

How long have you been diagnosed with celiac disease?  If you are just in the first year, your body needs to heal and not workout so hard.  I get wanting to exercise.    See me on my bike?  I ride centuries and used to do Triathlons.  I love exercise, but not when it is harming my body.  

Get your immune system and a vitamin/mineral deficiency workup  by a doctor.   I do not think you should be catching every single bug while at the gym.  

Vitalia Newbie

I'm not sure how to reply to you guys individually yet. But thank you for responding and for the genuine care. I do think I need more sleep and to get back on track with my supplements. I'm only week 2 into exercising and I work out at home. I've been keeping at it and pushing through this time, I'm year 2 into healing. I grew up as a ballerina and pouring sweat for hours so I really miss that feeling. Going to keep it at 40 minutes max per day with a rest day. 

• 1 month later...
plumbago Experienced

By coincidence, today I read in Mind Over Meds by Andrew Weil that high intensity exercise can increase the incidence of colds (and flu). He did not explain the mechanism, but it seems during high impact exercise, natural killer cell activity (which keeps cold and flu in check) decreases. I read elsewhere that in general, the immune system is suppressed during higher intensity exercise (adrenaline and cortisol are higher). Moderate exercise is what, I've read, really enhances immunity.

Still, it doesn't seem that you are close to overdoing it, so I'm not sure what's going on. Most of what I've read that implicates high intensity exercise mentions things like marathons or marathon training.

• 3 weeks later...
Celiac4762 Apprentice

I totally understand. 

Ive noticed the same thing when I started really ramping up my fitness program. 

To start, cut out the 30 day challenges. If your serious about fitness, you will incorporate it as a normal entity of life. We already have compromised immune systems so putting sudden outbursts (or challenges) of stress on it will only make you more susceptible to pathogens and ultimately, get you sick. 

Take a week, only stretch, light cardio, very light strength training, and lots of rest. Next week, add a little more. Show your body that you can handle it, but do it push it by any means. This new training regime is forever, it's your lifestyle. Take it easy, and play it smart. Slowly add more intense training over time... slowly. Get to a point where you feel your nutrition and fitness needs are being satisfied, and you're productively making differences.

i personally work out 3-4 days a week. But if I go too hard, I get sick. Then I get frustrated that I can't exercise, I work out anyway, and get even more sick. It's just not smart. So I stopped that. I have respect for my immune system and its limits. I took it very slow, and increased my intensity over time. Now I'm at that golden point in my life where everything is balanced. Progress (in terms of personal aesthetics for myself and my interests) is slow, but it's progress. And it's a hell of a lot better than the go hard and get sick cycle.

Best of luck to you friend! I'm sure you will find your way! Learn your body. Know that you are strong, you are powerful, you just have to play it smart. 

Archived