This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stomach cramping.

sddave

sddave Enthusiast

I have bad stomach cramping with growling recently.   My body still hates my new gluten-free diet!!

What gluten free OTC do you take for this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tessa25 Rising Star

I don't take much in the way of medicine so I can't help you there. But if you were to write what you eat/drink in a typical day maybe some of us could suggest changes that would help.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I get stomach cramps and pain from soy. I usually will use liquid pepto bismal.  It helps in just one dose. Pepto does nothing for D for me.

You may want to keep a diet and symptom log for a bit. Keep in mind that gluten reactions can be delayed so it might be something that you ate or came into contact with days before you get a reaction. The log can help pinpoint any pattern. That said you are early in the healing process and it is not uncommon to have ups and downs for a bit.

Hope you feel better soon.

sddave Enthusiast

I'm positive I didn't have gluten.   I think I'm having trouble digesting my food.   Most meals don't go down easily for me since I started going gluten free....except eggs.  I read about people taking digestive enzymes here.   But don't know if I should try them.

Could be stress related.

tessa25 Rising Star

If you think you're having trouble digesting then stick to eggs, potatoes, soups and stews. And veggies.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Country Life has some digestive enzymes and they are certified gluten.  I have used their  products.    You won't have to call to insure they are safe.  Amazon carries them and some local food stores.  

When glutened, I become temporarily lactose intolerant and ANYTHING hurts to digest.  Mushy meats, veggies and fruit (yeah, cook it....think applesauce) is easier to digest.  I pull out my crockpot during those times.  

Hope you feel better soon!  

sddave Enthusiast

My doctor said this week because my nausea and loose stool after eating gluten-free cereal with 1% milk I should switch to soy or almond milk.  He said there's an enzyme in cow milk that causes malabsorption.   Wish my GI doctor would of told me this when I was diagnosed three months ago.   Switching seems to be working after a couple of days.   He also said I should increase my calories.  I have dizziness issues especially when I am hungry.   It seems to hit me hard.  Like all of a sudden I'm starving.  Is anyone taking a protein drink to increase calories and can recommend one?   I have very high metabolism and get hungry every few hours.  I would like to take a protein drink to work instead of a gluten-free muffin everyday.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
10 hours ago, sddave said:

My doctor said this week because my nausea and loose stool after eating gluten-free cereal with 1% milk I should switch to soy or almond milk.  He said there's an enzyme in cow milk that causes malabsorption.   Wish my GI doctor would of told me this when I was diagnosed three months ago.   Switching seems to be working after a couple of days.   He also said I should increase my calories.  I have dizziness issues especially when I am hungry.   It seems to hit me hard.  Like all of a sudden I'm starving.  Is anyone taking a protein drink to increase calories and can recommend one?   I have very high metabolism and get hungry every few hours.  I would like to take a protein drink to work instead of a gluten-free muffin everyday.

Yeah, actually, they enzyme to break down dairy is produced by the tips of the villi which are damaged or destroyed first by celiac. Many have to remove dairy for a few years of healing then they can try again later.  When you first start the diet we suggest whole foods only, no oats or dairy. I use 2-3x the dose of super papaya enzymes, some jarrow, and on heavy protein meals extra bromine.

I found coconut, coconibs, almonds, and various other nuts and seeds to be my main calorie intake next to eggs and vegan protein powders. I find having a shake of vegan protein powder, almond butter, coconut yogurt and almond milk blending it and sipping on it during the day helps. I also take the protein powder before bad to prevent muscle loss and help repair while I sleep. I use Nutra Key V-Pro, MRM Veggie Elite as my base blends, I also use MRM Veggie Meal replacement sometimes, and I add in extra proteins from Organ seed Company Pumpkin protein, Jarrow Hemp protein, MRM Sacha Inichi protein to get more balance in there. I sometimes use Naked Pea Protein or Growing Naturals pea protein in cooking and adding some to eggs omelettes or shakes.

PS I started teh cocoa nibs this past month, along with Julian Bakery grain free paleo breads a few months ago. I started putting on weight finally. I get the nibs as a ground version and just get them as snacks, in food, or on top of deserts. Crio Bru makes them as a coffee sub.....I just get the ground cocoa beans the Ecuador and Ghana are my favorites.

plumbago Experienced
3 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

they enzyme to break down dairy is produced by the tips of the villi which are damaged or destroyed first by celiac.

Excellent piece of useful information. Great to know.

plumbago Experienced
Just now, plumbago said:

Excellent piece of useful information. Great to know.

Victoria1234 Experienced
15 hours ago, sddave said:

Something I do is carry a trail mix I made with me everywhere. If I get suddenly hungry, which does seem to happen especially when away from home, I'll just have a small handful. Otherwise I start to get lightheaded. If I forget my trail mix, I'm screwed.

JoyVale Newbie
On 8/11/2017 at 6:04 PM, sddave said:

I'm positive I didn't have gluten.   I think I'm having trouble digesting my food.   Most meals don't go down easily for me since I started going gluten free....except eggs.  I read about people taking digestive enzymes here.   But don't know if I should try them.

Could be stress related.

I downloaded and use Intolerance Food Diary app for android - for everything that passed my lips. Even toothpaste and chewing gum.  It's an awesome way to keep track of what you're eating and finding the culprits. In fact, it taught me how to write food down. Ie, don't just write "steak & potato for dinner". I learned to write down what seasonings were on the steak, what kind of butter I put on the potato, what was in the salad, what was in the salad dressing, etc. It really shows you what you're eating. After a week you'll have a remarkably clear picture. 

sddave Enthusiast
2 hours ago, JoyVale said:

I downloaded and use Intolerance Food Diary app for android - for everything that passed my lips. Even toothpaste and chewing gum.  It's an awesome way to keep track of what you're eating and finding the culprits. In fact, it taught me how to write food down. Ie, don't just write "steak & potato for dinner". I learned to write down what seasonings were on the steak, what kind of butter I put on the potato, what was in the salad, what was in the salad dressing, etc. It really shows you what you're eating. After a week you'll have a remarkably clear picture. 

Thanks for mentioning the Android app.

Jmg Mentor
On 8/11/2017 at 11:57 PM, sddave said:

I have dizziness issues especially when I am hungry.   It seems to hit me hard.  Like all of a sudden I'm starving.  Is anyone taking a protein drink to increase calories and can recommend one?   I have very high metabolism and get hungry every few hours.  I would like to take a protein drink to work instead of a gluten-free muffin everyday.

I had to make a conscious effort to switch the foods I eat to reduce sugar spikes and the resulting crash. I eat an omelette in the morning, proteins and amino acids in the eggs, veggies in the filling. Keeps me full for longer and I don't have the mid morning crash that used to happen when I just had cereal or similar.

If you can eat something solid with some fibre it will do you more good than a protein shake. You need things which take a little longer to digest to stop the blood sugar spike cycle.

sddave Enthusiast

After switching to Soy milk after doc. suggested to get rid of loose stool and nausea, I suffered massive stomach cramping.  After that, I'm afraid to try almond milk in my cereal.

Now if I could only figure out why I get dizzy so much and have heart palpitations!   None of my blood work has shown any vitamin or mineral deficiencies.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
23 minutes ago, sddave said:

After switching to Soy milk after doc. suggested I got rid of loose stool and nausea, but with soy milk  I suffered massive stomach cramping.  After that, I'm afraid to try almond milk in my cereal.

Now if I could only figure out why I get dizzy so much and have heart palpitations!   None of my blood work has shown any vitamin or mineral deficiencies.

Many Celiacs have issues with soy.....I would suggest a unsweetened almond or cashew milk. Soy REALLY messes with my stomach, cramping is just the start, the end.....yeah lets not go there.

plumbago Experienced
On 8/13/2017 at 4:40 PM, Jmg said:

If you can eat something solid with some fibre it will do you more good than a protein shake. You need things which take a little longer to digest to stop the blood sugar spike cycle.

Bingo. Just think of why diabetics who have hypoglycemia from not eating, too much exercise, too much med, take orange juice to bring the glucose back up!

Archived