• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Baking kit recommendations?
3 3

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I'm a college kid new to the gluten free diet and need some recommendations on good baking kits.  I used to just buy brownie and cookie mix but its hard for me to find a good quick fix for parties etc.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

What exactly are you looking for? Do you have access to a oven or just a microwave. I might suggest a small black and decker convection oven for the counter top and getting a small 8x8 baking pan both at walmart, Also get a nice wisk, spatula, and a mixing bowl. Gluten free mixes to look at, I do alot of my bakery recipes as I own a small bakery, but when lazy and having guest I get Simple Mills mixes they are grain free.  You might also look at Enjoy life for allergen free.  There are several others but I have a corn issue so those are the only two I would consider.  NOW if you need cooking options look up Nordic ware for all kinds of stuff for microwave cook ware in fact they right now have a sell on a college kit https://www.nordicware.com/catalog/product/view/id/2610/s/the-ultimate-college-microwave-set/category/139/

Noodle wise I like Miracle Noodles and Mircale Rice as they are carb free, gluten free, grain free, and I just need to rinse them microwave for 1 min then rinse again for serving how ever I want. They also make MRE instant noodle kits for this purpose.

I have a list of gluten-free alternative foods...heck they have gluten-free pizzas, and you can order RealGood, personal pizza and have a case shipped to you several companies have these kinds of options. I even saw a gluten-free hotpocket knock off at a allergen expo last year and have it on the list. https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/

2 hours ago, mountainguy said:

I'm a college kid new to the gluten free diet and need some recommendations on good baking kits.  I used to just buy brownie and cookie mix but its hard for me to find a good quick fix for parties etc.

Betty crocker &  glutino make great brownie mixes and they are easy to find.  They aren't as big as some regular mixes.  But, if you don't over cook, they are chewy and yummy.  I serve them to gluten eaters and they love them.  Cookie mixes usually, aren't as tasty.  But Glutino or Kinnknick  make great Oreo type cookies people love.  

If you want to bring a cheese dip and chips, that would work for a party. Everyone loves the classic Rotel and Velveeta - in a crockpot or microwave

Edited by kareng

I agree with the Betty Crocker Brownie mix.  You can barely tell the difference. It is available in a lot of grocery stores which is nice. 

Immaculate cookies makes pre-made dough that you buy in the refrigerator section of stores.  They are really good (although I have only made 2-3 of the cookies because I usually just eat the dough raw. :) ) They do make gluten containing cookie mixes too so make sure to get the ones labeled gluten free - it's pretty obvious on the package.

I read recently that the King Arthur yellow cake mix is quite good. I'm just waiting for an excuse to make a cake now.

Make sure to buy yourself a mixing bowl, large spoon and your own cake pan. Don't use your roommates.  Those pans never really get all the crumbs out of the corners and probably hold on to a bit of gluten. For cookies, make sure to keep a roll of aluminum foil and you can just cook the cookies on that. 

Ads by Google:

Welcome. You ahve gotten some good suggestions already. All I want to add is that if you are in a dorm do make sure you can have a convection oven. if they are not allowed normally ask your advisor to intercede and see if you can get special permission to have one.  They put my daughter in senior housing her first year so she would have a kitchenette and be able to cook her own meals.  Celiac wasn't as common back then though.

If you can't have a small oven there are some good recipes for microwave cakes that you would cook in a mug.

Just want to add my two cents.  Buy some parchment paper to line your pans.  Then you can lift the brownies or cake right out (or slide cookies) and then easily cut when cool.  gluten-free flours tend to stick more than wheat flour.  You can use quick release foil too.  

Ads by Google:

3 hours ago, ravenwoodglass said:

If you can't have a small oven there are some good recipes for microwave cakes that you would cook in a mug.

I posted a grain free chocolate mug cake a few days ago with sugar free options.

King Arthur gluten-free cookie mix is excellent!  It is a basic cookie dough and you can add whatever you like in cookies as add-ins. I sometimes add 1/4 cup of peanut butter, along with chocolate chips and walnuts.........yum!  If you want a thicker cookie, add 2 eggs instead of one and omit the water. They do a great banana bread mix also.

If you do get a convection oven do get a small muffin tin and paper cups for cupcakes. I got one when my big oven died and couldn't afford to fix it. I have found cakes come out better as cupcakes for me and I like to be able to freeze some for times when I don't want to bake but want something sweet.  I like putting chocolate chips on them fresh out of the oven and then spreading them a bit when they melt. Makes a nice lower sugar frosting.

Ads by Google: