• Ads by Google:
     




    Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

    Ads by Google:



       Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

  • Announcements

    • admin

      Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

      This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Feeling worse?
2 2

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

As of Saturday I have given up gluten again. I had undergone a gluten challenge for my endoscopy. I didn't feel that bad while doing it, I easily could have continued. I did have increasingly bad indigestion and chest pain, but my digestive symptoms were not too bad.

Now is another story, however. My stomach is upset, my heart palpitations and indigestion have remained, and I'm feeling shaky. My digestion has also gotten  worse. Is this typical??I'm so confused. I feel like I felt better last week while eating gluten. 

I should also add that they were checking for other issues and my blood work was indeterminate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:


Would like to add to this- while eating gluten I would get a random hive here or there. Since giving up gluten a few days ago, I've had a hive pop up yesterday and today. I'm at such a loss as to why I'm feeling worse. Is this some sort of detox? Is this something experienced by others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do have celiac disease, antibodies can continue to rise and attack for days, week or months after a gluten exposure.  

I hope you feel better soon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

If you do have celiac disease, antibodies can continue to rise and attack for days, week or months after a gluten exposure.  

I hope you feel better soon.  

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2017 at 1:13 PM, Jctb said:

Now is another story, however. My stomach is upset, my heart palpitations and indigestion have remained, and I'm feeling shaky. My digestion has also gotten  worse. Is this typical

I felt worse after I restarted gluten free diet after my challenge and had a rougher time than I had first time round. So I don't think its unusual. Give your body time to recover. Eat well, lots of good whole foods, maybe a decent multivitamin etc.  Go easy on processed gluten-free stuff for awhile and avoid oats as well. 

best of luck :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:


3 hours ago, Jmg said:

I felt worse after I restarted gluten free diet after my challenge and had a rougher time than I had first time round. So I don't think its unusual. Give your body time to recover. Eat well, lots of good whole foods, maybe a decent multivitamin etc.  Go easy on processed gluten-free stuff for awhile and avoid oats as well. 

best of luck :)

 

Thanks for your reply. I'm currently grain free, although I ended up making kitchary because I needed something of substance in my stomach. Seems to have helped. Some other symptoms coming on strong, so just hoping I have some answers soon, to make sure I'm at least on the right path!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is sort of a detox/withdrawal thing for the first few weeks for most. Keep a food diary, often after a glutening a new intolerance will creep up for awhile. Sort of your body associating another food with gluten, and or it just being picky while damaged. Write down everything you eat, how you fix it, seasonings etc. Change up the diet, and look for patterns.  My own gut is being picky today and had D after 2 meals so I am rotating up and narrowing down the culprit tomorrow myself....only see 4 common things in my food dairy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


11 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

There is sort of a detox/withdrawal thing for the first few weeks for most. Keep a food diary, often after a glutening a new intolerance will creep up for awhile. Sort of your body associating another food with gluten, and or it just being picky while damaged. Write down everything you eat, how you fix it, seasonings etc. Change up the diet, and look for patterns.  My own gut is being picky today and had D after 2 meals so I am rotating up and narrowing down the culprit tomorrow myself....only see 4 common things in my food dairy.

Interesting- thank you for sharing. I saw my ND yesterday and she also suggested that after having been completely cleaned out for my procedures, my body could be trying to adjust. She is having me take a rest from the strong probiotics I was taking, and I'm focusing on eating foods that are more gentle (I tend to eat a lot of raw, very fibrous foods). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

2 2