• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Test Results

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

What does this result mean exactly?  

Endomysial Abs, IgA Negative   Negative
Transglutaminase IgA <2 U/mL 0 - 3 U/mL
Negative 0 - 3
Weak Positive 4 - 10
Positive >10
Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) has been identified
as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstr-
ated that endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99%
specificity for gluten sensitive enteropathy.
Immunoglobulin A (IgA) 518 mg/dL 87 - 352 mg/dL

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Hi,  I just wanted to add some insight to my question on the test results.  I am 58 experiencing stress fractors to the foot without any extra activity.  I have osteoporosis and the thought process of the doctors is that I have another cause besides age for the osteoporosis.  The foot is not healing after 11 weeks in a boot.  Ortho sent me to Endo.  Endo did blood test.  Hormones normal and received the below results on Celiac.  I have had osteoarthritis since 21, Was diagnosised at 29 as being allergic to wheat, symptom was I lost my voice after having my first child.  Had my second at 32 and magic I could eat wheat again and not lose my voice.  Last year I was tested autoimmune because of lung issues; MAC and bronchiaestasis.  IGA was high then but no further testing.  I do not have digestion issues except lactose intolerant.  I do have low values on vitamin D. I do not go back to Endo until 2 weeks from now.  My sister is fighting her own issues which is pointing to autoimmune but drs. have figured her out yet.  My mom as MS and her mom died of ALS, Dad's side had Lupus.  Any thoughts?

13 hours ago, Deltalady said:

What does this result mean exactly?  

Endomysial Abs, IgA Negative   Negative
Transglutaminase IgA <2 U/mL 0 - 3 U/mL
Negative 0 - 3
Weak Positive 4 - 10
Positive >10
Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) has been identified
as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstr-
ated that endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99%
specificity for gluten sensitive enteropathy.
Immunoglobulin A (IgA) 518 mg/dL 87 - 352 mg/dL

Hi Delta! 

Well, it appears that your celiac screening is negative, but that does not rule out celiac disease yet. I would ask your doctor to run the DGP IgA and DGP IGG (even though you are not IGA deficient).  Like you, I tested negative to the TTG and EMA tests, but I was positive on the DGP IgA.  My intestinal biopsies revealed a Marsh Stage IIIB.  If my GI had not ordered the entire blood  panel, my diagnosis would not have been caught.  I still continue to test this way even in follow-up blood tests.  Then there is the possibility that you are a seronegative celiac.  Some 10% are seronegative.  The GI would have to do the endoscopy to rule out celiac disease.  Learn more:

https://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/Celiac_Disease_Diagnostic_Testing_Algorithm.pdf

My symptoms at the time of my diagnosis were anemia (no GI issues).  Two months after my diagnosis, I fractured some vertebrae doing NOTHING!  That is when I got my osteoporosis diagnosis.  I was 51 at the time.  MY IgA is also very high (over 700).  For celiac testing, it is just a control test (e.g. Does the TTG IgA test work).  As a stand alone test,   it could be something like autoimmune or excessive  inflammation.  I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which was diagnosed 20 years ago.  

https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/immunoglobulins/tab/test/

Please do not settle for an aging or an "it's all in your head diagnosis".   Something is wrong.  Continue to advocate for your health!  

Oh...are you a smoker?  That can slow down healing.  

Never smoked a day in my life.  My ortho dr wants me to go to a neuro.  So at this point I am not finished with testing.  Thank you for your response.

Ads by Google: