This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Your Go-To Meal Staples?

LilyR

LilyR Rising Star

I am not sure if this is the right area to post this?  I am trying to make my grocery list, and trying to think of some different, but easy meal ideas.  I was wondering what some of your go-to meal ideas are? The ones you tend to make every week.  Especially meals with no gluten, corn ingredients, or oats. 

So far I do a lot of chicken and potatoes and rice. I got turkey tenderloins that were on sale. I love steak, but on our budget that is not all the time, but love it, and even with sauteed mushrooms.  Same goes for fish, since that is never cheap.  I made meatloaf the other night, but just didn't put any bread or crumbs in it, just some egg and a little bit of milk, and spices.  I made zuppa tuscana, which my family loves in the fall and winter.  I was having pasta sauce, but putting it on cauliflower.  I don't know though.  It still bloated me a bit. I had it once in zucchini and that was really good, but still got bloated.  Not bad though.  I am wondering if certain veggies bother me, or just until my stomach heals more, I don't know. 

So, chicken has been a big staple.  I have roasted it more often than not, with potatoes or rice, just to be quick and easy.  I did make some in the crock pot once though.  I added cream cheese, some spices, some bacon, and that made a nice little sauce and we had it over rice.  I have made tacos, but I have my meat in a salad and let the family make theirs into tacos.  Eggs are great, but I have had so many since getting really sick since this past winter, and before I was diagnosed with the gluten issue, I ate a lotta, lotta eggs.  Sausage with sauteed cabbage has been yummy.  Roasted carrots as a side has been really good.  Hamburgers, with no bun has been a family go-to.   

I'm just trying to get some more ideas that are gluten, corn, and oat free, and inexpensive go-to's.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

When my gut is damaged from a glutening, I can not eat cauliflower.  Fortunately, with healing, I can get it back.   Same for dairy.   It is all about easy-to-digest foods.  

I have a big freezer in my garage.  Best investment ever!  I cook soups, stews and chili to always have on hand.  I freeze pre-cooked  ground beef, stew meat, chicken, shredded pork (seasoned or not)   Defrost to be tossed into any dish (e.g. tacos).  I also have cookies and other  goodies for my family that I bake.  Handy when going to a party, etc.   All gluten free of course.  

It sounds like you are doing just fine.  Plan for the times that you are tired or are not feeling well, so that you are making good choices all the time.   I keep snacks in my purse or food in a cooler when we are out and about.  

That meatloaf?  We add white rice.  Always have.  I think it is a Polish thing!  

You are doing great!  

TexasJen Collaborator

Taco Tuesday, baby!  It's a thing..... We eat tacos and/or taco salads so much here!.  I also make beef and chicken fajita meat and serve it with black beans, rice, guacamole - think homemade Chipotle bowl.   Cajun red beans with chicken and sausage - I make it in a crockpot and serve it over rice. Now that it's getting cooler, I have also been making a lot of soups and chili. 

Good luck!

notme Experienced

yeah, i'm with cyclinglady - the deep freeze has been a blessing.  i make stuff and put it in individual portions, so if it's just me eating, i'll get out one portion.   if more than one, i just take that amount out.  i do better with beans that i cook from dry (navy, pinto, etc) rather than the canned ones, even though most are safe.  for whatever reason, i cook a 2 lb bag and freeze it in quart ziplocks for when i'm making chili or soup.  i make chili ALOT especially in the cooler weather.  it's one thing the grandkids looooove and i don't get an argument when that's what's for dinner.  chili and cornbread (krustyz makes a box mix that's gluten-free)

i got one of those electric pressure cooker thingys - it's great!  i make chicken pot pie filling in it, cacciatore <however you spell it), venison stew, etc.  it's fast and keeps all the flavors in :)

breadcrumbs:  i use the bread ends from gluten-free bread, toast in the oven and bust 'em up in the food processor when i have the time.  otherwise, kroger sells them now (2 kinds!) so, when i'm rushed or lazy, i just use those. 

i can tolerate some fruit but when i would buy berries/etc they would always go 'fuzzy' before i could eat them all, so now i buy bags of frozen and take out whatever i'm going to eat (usually on my gluten-free cereal) 

i loves me some cheez and crackers, too, that's my favorite snackity snack :)

LilyR Rising Star
On 10/11/2017 at 11:36 AM, cyclinglady said:

When my gut is damaged from a glutening, I can not eat cauliflower.  Fortunately, with healing, I can get it back.   Same for dairy.   It is all about easy-to-digest foods.  

I have a big freezer in my garage.  Best investment ever!  I cook soups, stews and chili to always have on hand.  I freeze pre-cooked  ground beef, stew meat, chicken, shredded pork (seasoned or not)   Defrost to be tossed into any dish (e.g. tacos).  I also have cookies and other  goodies for my family that I bake.  Handy when going to a party, etc.   All gluten free of course.  

It sounds like you are doing just fine.  Plan for the times that you are tired or are not feeling well, so that you are making good choices all the time.   I keep snacks in my purse or food in a cooler when we are out and about.  

That meatloaf?  We add white rice.  Always have.  I think it is a Polish thing!  

You are doing great!  

That is good advice.  I was thinking if I can start feeling a little better, cook some big batches of things and freeze portions.  That is what I really need.  Last night I didn't feel well at all, so the family ordered out and I had eggs.  I like eggs, but sadly, I have had so much I am starting to get sick of them.  I need to get soups and chicken and meats in the freezer.  I wish we had a big freezer.  That's a "someday" wish.  

I do put rice in meat stuffing making stuffed peppers or golumpki, but I was trying to figure out something to make the meatloaf a little different.  My grandmother was polish, we love that meat and rice stuffing.  But on my Italian side we used Saltine cracker crumbs in meatloaf (and Thanksgiving meat stuffing, and meatballs), and i will miss that.  But I'm looking for different options.  I don't want to get sick of the meat and rice stuffing. Oh, I use that too in a stuffed zucchini recipe.  I haven't made much of any of that in a while though, since the stomach issues and fatigue and everything that came crashing down.  I'll try making some stuffed cabbage soup now that the fall weather is finally here.  I love soup and stew season. 

Victoria1234 Experienced
2 minutes ago, LilyR said:

That is good advice.  I was thinking if I can start feeling a little better, cook some big batches of things and freeze portions.  That is what I really need.  Last night I didn't feel well at all, so the family ordered out and I had eggs.  I like eggs, but sadly, I have had so much I am starting to get sick of them.  I need to get soups and chicken and meats in the freezer.  I wish we had a big freezer.  That's a "someday" wish.  

I do put rice in meat stuffing making stuffed peppers or golumpki, but I was trying to figure out something to make the meatloaf a little different.  My grandmother was polish, we love that meat and rice stuffing.  But on my Italian side we used Saltine cracker crumbs in meatloaf (and Thanksgiving meat stuffing, and meatballs), and i will miss that.  But I'm looking for different options.  I don't want to get sick of the meat and rice stuffing. Oh, I use that too in a stuffed zucchini recipe.  I haven't made much of any of that in a while though, since the stomach issues and fatigue and everything that came crashing down.  I'll try making some stuffed cabbage soup now that the fall weather is finally here.  I love soup and stew season. 

I'm looking forward to "fall" arriving at some point. Yesterday was a high of 90 and it was so humid it felt like 100. This is the hottest October I recall!

LilyR Rising Star
On 10/11/2017 at 12:40 PM, TexasJen said:

Taco Tuesday, baby!  It's a thing..... We eat tacos and/or taco salads so much here!.  I also make beef and chicken fajita meat and serve it with black beans, rice, guacamole - think homemade Chipotle bowl.   Cajun red beans with chicken and sausage - I make it in a crockpot and serve it over rice. Now that it's getting cooler, I have also been making a lot of soups and chili. 

Good luck!

Just now, Victoria1234 said:

I'm looking forward to "fall" arriving at some point. Yesterday was a high of 90 and it was so humid it felt like 100. This is the hottest October I recall!

We had more heat and  humidity than usual too.  Just yesterday it started drying out and getting cooler.  I hope it stays now.  I have photosensitivity, and summer is rough.  I love fall.  And the cozy foods are so nice too.  I am thinking most of the soups I usually make should be pretty safe for me.  So thankful for what we can still eat that is tasty. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LilyR Rising Star
On 10/11/2017 at 12:40 PM, TexasJen said:

Good luck!

All sounds yummy!  Chicken fajita - I need to plan that for next week.  I am going to try  making some flat tortillas with white rice flour.  Should be interesting.  I love beans, but my dr said to not eat much yet because of the fiber, I guess.  But I am hoping as my stomach heals I can eat beans.  I love them in soups, sides, even chip peas in salads.  

LilyR Rising Star
19 hours ago, notme! said:

yeah, i'm with cyclinglady - the deep freeze has been a blessing.  i make stuff and put it in individual portions, so if it's just me eating, i'll get out one portion.   if more than one, i just take that amount out.  i do better with beans that i cook from dry (navy, pinto, etc) rather than the canned ones, even though most are safe.  for whatever reason, i cook a 2 lb bag and freeze it in quart ziplocks for when i'm making chili or soup.  i make chili ALOT especially in the cooler weather.  it's one thing the grandkids looooove and i don't get an argument when that's what's for dinner.  chili and cornbread (krustyz makes a box mix that's gluten-free)

i got one of those electric pressure cooker thingys - it's great!  i make chicken pot pie filling in it, cacciatore <however you spell it), venison stew, etc.  it's fast and keeps all the flavors in :)

breadcrumbs:  i use the bread ends from gluten-free bread, toast in the oven and bust 'em up in the food processor when i have the time.  otherwise, kroger sells them now (2 kinds!) so, when i'm rushed or lazy, i just use those. 

i can tolerate some fruit but when i would buy berries/etc they would always go 'fuzzy' before i could eat them all, so now i buy bags of frozen and take out whatever i'm going to eat (usually on my gluten-free cereal) 

i loves me some cheez and crackers, too, that's my favorite snackity snack :)

Venison stew - oh, I hope my husband gets another deer this year.  Last year was his first.  We enjoyed it a lot, but I didn't have any stew recipes for it.  But I should look some up.  

I really do need to try and get some stuff in the freezer.  That sounds like it'd help a lot when you end up with a very busy day, or a day not feeling well, and want something quick. 

I am not sure I can eat corn ingredients.  I seem to get mixed results.  Some items haven't seemed to bother me, some have.  So I am not sure yet about it.  I wonder if I will be able to have it once my stomach heals more?  It is very handy to be able to eat things with corn flour, corn starch, etc.  But right some some corn items have bothered me.  I am not sure I can find crackers I could eat.  I do love cheese though.  My family used to enjoy something just having cheese, crackers, pepperoni, roasted red peppers, etc. and just chow on that for a meal once in a while.  I could probably still have all that, just no crackers.  If I can find gluten free pepperoni.  I haven't had much spicy stuff like that though since almost a year ago.  

Jmg Mentor

I know you've posted that you have enough eggs as it is, but I'm going to sing the praises of the mighty omelette anyway Lily :P I have one each day and its a really easy way of bringing in different veggies as a filling, or maybe bacon or sausage if I'm feeling decadent.

Lots of salads in summer, olive oil, cider vinegar and different things to go alongside. 

I like making soup, especially a hearty portuguese recipe called caldo verde. I cheat at baking and buy pre made gluten-free pastry for pies and sausage rolls. If you get yourself some tatami soy sauce that helps with chinese stir fry's. another healthy way of eating loads of veggies. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Going on JMG suggestion STIR FRY, just heat up a skillet saute the veggies til caramelized a bit, I use Coconut Secret sauces, pour some over with a bit of water cover and simmer/steam til super soft and tender then serve over rice or noodles of choice. You can use eggs or meat for proteins in these and any veggies you want.

Eggs, and Omelettes, Mix it up I whisk in different seasonings each day into my eggs, Some days taco seasonings, chili, Chinese 5 spice, salsa, cajun, teriyaki, liquid smoke, bbq, steak seasoning, pizza seasonings, itlian herb etc. You can do any seasoning blend in them then scramble or cook into a quiche or omelette with what ever veggies steamed or caramelized before hand.
One of my favorite egg dishes from my poor childhood, My mother with scramble the eggs, then pour a can of tomato sauce over then after they were down and stir it in. We ate this in tortilla with salt and pepper. or just by the fork full. YOU can also load up lettuce or coconut wraps with them.

Recently updated my list https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/119661-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2017/

Victoria1234 Experienced
2 hours ago, LilyR said:

We had more heat and  humidity than usual too.  Just yesterday it started drying out and getting cooler.  I hope it stays now.  I have photosensitivity, and summer is rough.  I love fall.  And the cozy foods are so nice too.  I am thinking most of the soups I usually make should be pretty safe for me.  So thankful for what we can still eat that is tasty. :)

Wow, I would find it very difficult to be in Nc with photosensitivity. That must be very difficult. I am very fair and burn easily so I use tons of sunscreen myself. I grew up in the north so I super miss having much cooler weather throughout the year. I love soups too. Please feel free to share any recipes you have! 

LilyR Rising Star
18 hours ago, Jmg said:

I know you've posted that you have enough eggs as it is, but I'm going to sing the praises of the mighty omelette anyway Lily :P I have one each day and its a really easy way of bringing in different veggies as a filling, or maybe bacon or sausage if I'm feeling decadent.

Lots of salads in summer, olive oil, cider vinegar and different things to go alongside. 

I like making soup, especially a hearty portuguese recipe called caldo verde. I cheat at baking and buy pre made gluten-free pastry for pies and sausage rolls. If you get yourself some tatami soy sauce that helps with chinese stir fry's. another healthy way of eating loads of veggies. 

That soup sounds really good.  I do love eggs and omelettes.  Just looking for different ideas.  Has anyone had issues with cholesterol going gluten-free?  I had been watching out for that before all this, but now giving up gluten, I've been eating a lot of cheese, sausage, eggs, etc.  Although I heard eggs got a bad rap as far as cholesterol in the past.  I just am not sure if there is an amount of eggs considered okay to eat per week?  I use them when I  make cloud bread too.  And put them in meatloaf, etc. 

I am not sure I can eat the gluten-free flours.  Right now some corn ingredient (like xanthan gum) might bother  me.  Same with soy.  So I am avoiding those right now and might try them later one once my stomach is much better.  

I  need to go save that soup recipe. I love soups. 

LilyR Rising Star
18 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Going on JMG suggestion STIR FRY, just heat up a skillet saute the veggies til caramelized a bit, I use Coconut Secret sauces, pour some over with a bit of water cover and simmer/steam til super soft and tender then serve over rice or noodles of choice. You can use eggs or meat for proteins in these and any veggies you want.

Eggs, and Omelettes, Mix it up I whisk in different seasonings each day into my eggs, Some days taco seasonings, chili, Chinese 5 spice, salsa, cajun, teriyaki, liquid smoke, bbq, steak seasoning, pizza seasonings, itlian herb etc. You can do any seasoning blend in them then scramble or cook into a quiche or omelette with what ever veggies steamed or caramelized before hand.
One of my favorite egg dishes from my poor childhood, My mother with scramble the eggs, then pour a can of tomato sauce over then after they were down and stir it in. We ate this in tortilla with salt and pepper. or just by the fork full. YOU can also load up lettuce or coconut wraps with them.

Recently updated my list https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/119661-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2017/

Thanks for suggesting the coconut secret sauces.   Do you know if there is any corn product or soy in them? 

Tomato sauce on scrambled eggs sounds really good. I love anything tomato.   Another way I like eggs is scrambling them with crumbled feta cheese in it.  And my husband makes good omelettes with whatever leftover meat or veggies we have.   As a kid my mother would fry up those canned potatoes (they come sliced), and then add in beaten eggs once the potatoes were cooked up a bit first. You can sprinkle a little garlic powder on the potatoes while frying.   Or do that with frying zucchini or summer squash instead of potatoes, then add the eggs in.  I have heard some people do eggs that way on cut up hot dogs or kielbasa, although I am not a fan of that, but figure Id mention it in case anyone here might want to try it.  I tried a recipe I saw online of eggs on spinach in tomato sauce.  I wasn't a big fan of that, which surprised me because I love all those ingredients. But it was worth trying anyway.  You never know when you'll find something new that you love. 

LilyR Rising Star

Oh, and yes, we love quiche, and now that I can't have gluten I just don't use a crust.  But we do different ingredients in them. My most recent favorite is putting sliced radish, some feta, and dill (the weed, not the seed). Yum!  Then other ones like spinach and feta, or ham and cheese, hubby likes onion in pretty much everything, although I've been going easy on that since the stomach issues.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Coconut secret is corn, soy, and gluten free. The teriyaki, and garlic sauce are great in stir fries and marinades. The coconut Amino's works just like soy sauce in any recipe. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
2 hours ago, LilyR said:

That soup sounds really good.  I do love eggs and omelettes.  Just looking for different ideas.  Has anyone had issues with cholesterol going gluten-free?  I had been watching out for that before all this, but now giving up gluten, I've been eating a lot of cheese, sausage, eggs, etc.  Although I heard eggs got a bad rap as far as cholesterol in the past.  I just am not sure if there is an amount of eggs considered okay to eat per week?  I use them when I  make cloud bread too.  And put them in meatloaf, etc. 

I am not sure I can eat the gluten-free flours.  Right now some corn ingredient (like xanthan gum) might bother  me.  Same with soy.  So I am avoiding those right now and might try them later one once my stomach is much better.  

I  need to go save that soup recipe. I love soups. 

I have genetically bad cholesterol, I also do not tolerate egg yolks (where it is) I tend to throw them up if I eat them. NOTE eating a bunch of fats etc does not normally give bad cholesterol unless you doing something like eating them in combination with sugars and carbs, this is where you end up with the health issues. As and example look up people on the ketogenic diet, all they eat is fats and protein and are some of the leanest, most active, and healthiest people out there. I use the egg whites and eggs beater generic (my local HEB REAL EGG generic does not contain xantham gum like egg beaters)  I use substitutes for the fats, IE. I add coconut flour/coconut milk for saturated fats, and almond butter, almond flour, ground flax, chia seeds, pumpkin seed meal, or avocado for other fats, and I do these on rotation using what compliments my cuisines. Pour out into my measuring cup, add a bit of nut milk, to keep it moist and fluffy, and the fats and hit it with a hand blender. Some of these flours meals make the eggs set up and this is where my quiche come in as the crust sorta is mixed in with the eggs if I use certain ones. When doing it with flax or chia if you let it sit it thickens up into a batter for use as pancakes or waffles. I mix in extract and spices also I have different blends for different applications but the base is give or take 1-2 tbsp coconut flour, 1-2 tbsp other fats, 240g of egg whites, 100grams of nut milk (2cups after adding fats, this makes about 2 omelettes or a 10" quiche or 6-10 waffles >.<. I always add other fats in sides like my grain free bread recipe with nut butter on top, cocoa nibs, etc to add in a bunch of fats. 

LilyR Rising Star
On 10/13/2017 at 1:07 PM, Ennis_TX said:

I have genetically bad cholesterol, I also do not tolerate egg yolks (where it is) I tend to throw them up if I eat them. NOTE eating a bunch of fats etc does not normally give bad cholesterol unless you doing something like eating them in combination with sugars and carbs, this is where you end up with the health issues. As and example look up people on the ketogenic diet, all they eat is fats and protein and are some of the leanest, most active, and healthiest people out there. I use the egg whites and eggs beater generic (my local HEB REAL EGG generic does not contain xantham gum like egg beaters)  I use substitutes for the fats, IE. I add coconut flour/coconut milk for saturated fats, and almond butter, almond flour, ground flax, chia seeds, pumpkin seed meal, or avocado for other fats, and I do these on rotation using what compliments my cuisines. Pour out into my measuring cup, add a bit of nut milk, to keep it moist and fluffy, and the fats and hit it with a hand blender. Some of these flours meals make the eggs set up and this is where my quiche come in as the crust sorta is mixed in with the eggs if I use certain ones. When doing it with flax or chia if you let it sit it thickens up into a batter for use as pancakes or waffles. I mix in extract and spices also I have different blends for different applications but the base is give or take 1-2 tbsp coconut flour, 1-2 tbsp other fats, 240g of egg whites, 100grams of nut milk (2cups after adding fats, this makes about 2 omelettes or a 10" quiche or 6-10 waffles >.<. I always add other fats in sides like my grain free bread recipe with nut butter on top, cocoa nibs, etc to add in a bunch of fats. 

That sounds really rough having so  many sensitivities.  Does it get stressful or do you eventually get a routine going where it feels "normal" cooking and eating like that? It all sounds overwhelming some days to me.  I had started having better stomach days and that got me feeling like I had really been figuring things out.  But the past few weeks it seems I keep making mistakes.  Some are hard to figure out because they seem like foods I was having when I was having good days.  This weekend I have not been so great. and the only thing I can think of that was different is I had some apple cider and I was taking Tylenol.  But was eating all stuff I've had when I had been having good days (chicken, potatoes, eggs, Rice chex).  I looked up Tylenol online this morning and while it doesn't have gluten, it did say it cannot guarantee none of their ingredients could.  I don't know if that means possible or likely cross contamination.  I was just about to go make a post to see how people here seem to react to Tylenol.  

I do wish I could feel better and get a job and have a little more income for our grocery budget.  But I do find some cheap foods, like bananas, eggs, etc.  I'd love to get more nuts, more fish. I"d love to try more of the coconut ingredients and products and such.  Right now I can't spend much though.  I did get a small bag of coconut flour and use it sparingly.  And I just got a bag of white rice flour and had $1 off coupon.  

I've been using McCormick spices and they are suppose to list any allergen, I think, on their labels and if there is no ingredient list, it is suppose to contain only that said spice.  But I am wondering if garlic powder and onion powder or paprika bothers me, or not.  Just when I thought I had been getting the hang of this, and feeling better,  it's gotten not so good again.  So ... more testing things out.  

I have used egg beaters in the past, but not in a long time.  Wow, it's weird the things you'd never guess would have xantham gum or corn or gluten.  Thanks for the head's up on that.  

LilyR Rising Star
On 10/13/2017 at 11:14 AM, Ennis_TX said:

Coconut secret is corn, soy, and gluten free. The teriyaki, and garlic sauce are great in stir fries and marinades. The coconut Amino's works just like soy sauce in any recipe. 

That sounds great.  I still have two stores in town to check, but if they don't have it, I did find it on amazon to order.  Does fresh or cooked garlic bother you?  I am not even sure at the moment if garlic bothers me, so maybe will try the amino or the teriyaki first.  Although once my stomach starts feeling better long term, I hope I can have garlic.  I honestly can't tell with some things right now.  Some things seem okay one day, yet not another day.  Did you ever experience that when first healing? I am hoping it starts to get easier as I learn and figure more out. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
21 minutes ago, LilyR said:

That sounds really rough having so  many sensitivities.  Does it get stressful or do you eventually get a routine going where it feels "normal" cooking and eating like that? It all sounds overwhelming some days to me.  I had started having better stomach days and that got me feeling like I had really been figuring things out.  But the past few weeks it seems I keep making mistakes.  Some are hard to figure out because they seem like foods I was having when I was having good days.  This weekend I have not been so great. and the only thing I can think of that was different is I had some apple cider and I was taking Tylenol.  But was eating all stuff I've had when I had been having good days (chicken, potatoes, eggs, Rice chex).  I looked up Tylenol online this morning and while it doesn't have gluten, it did say it cannot guarantee none of their ingredients could.  I don't know if that means possible or likely cross contamination.  I was just about to go make a post to see how people here seem to react to Tylenol.  

I do wish I could feel better and get a job and have a little more income for our grocery budget.  But I do find some cheap foods, like bananas, eggs, etc.  I'd love to get more nuts, more fish. I"d love to try more of the coconut ingredients and products and such.  Right now I can't spend much though.  I did get a small bag of coconut flour and use it sparingly.  And I just got a bag of white rice flour and had $1 off coupon.  

I've been using McCormick spices and they are suppose to list any allergen, I think, on their labels and if there is no ingredient list, it is suppose to contain only that said spice.  But I am wondering if garlic powder and onion powder or paprika bothers me, or not.  Just when I thought I had been getting the hang of this, and feeling better,  it's gotten not so good again.  So ... more testing things out.  

I have used egg beaters in the past, but not in a long time.  Wow, it's weird the things you'd never guess would have xantham gum or corn or gluten.  Thanks for the head's up on that.  

Yeah you get a pattern down, I make breads for myself and my bakery 2 times a week, I cook omelettes every morning sometimes I do a breakfast stir fry or porridge, I do nut meal porridge a lot for lunch, almost every day. dinner I always fall back on a 6 egg omelette and a HUGE 3-4 cup batch of sugar free vegan protein ice cream  or shake. I find a mostly liquid meal and no solids is best for evening digestion.

While most mcormick spices are safe and many people here use them, I personally do not trust them. They have some blends that have wheat in them and corn. I have been using Spicely Organics for years, but recently there was a issue apparently with one of their batches -_-. The spice house offers some options, and I am actually working with a new company on developing and marketing my own spices. Look up Big AXE spice company, they have some nice spices that work as season alls for various cuisines, they are salt free which is a huge thing for me (I get too much sodium from egg whites and protein powders so I have to avoid any other intakes)

18 minutes ago, LilyR said:

That sounds great.  I still have two stores in town to check, but if they don't have it, I did find it on amazon to order.  Does fresh or cooked garlic bother you?  I am not even sure at the moment if garlic bothers me, so maybe will try the amino or the teriyaki first.  Although once my stomach starts feeling better long term, I hope I can have garlic.  I honestly can't tell with some things right now.  Some things seem okay one day, yet not another day.  Did you ever experience that when first healing? I am hoping it starts to get easier as I learn and figure more out. 

I posted some links on my last 2017 food list post, the thrive and lucky are the CHEAPEST place to get stuff. Example Lucky Vitamin, I have Nutiva Coconut flour on auto shipment I about $9 for the 3lb bag and get 1-2 bags a month. Both companies randomly offer sales, with % off your entire cart, free items, etc. I watch for them like a hawk and stock up when stuff hits the sale. I love thrive as I can get many snacks, and specialty foods shipped straight too me.

As to garlic, I have to watch garlic, onion, and spice intake some days and not have any in the afternoon or evening. Moderation fine but my picky stomach bluntly tells me when I have too much via burping, churning, and sometimes vomiting.

I recent did a post taking about some other issues and trying to figure them out. best line and summary of this is comparing it to voodoo magic cooking. Sometimes a food will bother you one way, then you cook it a different way or have it on another day and all hell brakes loose. lol

LilyR Rising Star
8 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

Yeah you get a pattern down, I make breads for myself and my bakery 2 times a week, I cook omelettes every morning sometimes I do a breakfast stir fry or porridge, I do nut meal porridge a lot for lunch, almost every day. dinner I always fall back on a 6 egg omelette and a HUGE 3-4 cup batch of sugar free vegan protein ice cream  or shake. I find a mostly liquid meal and no solids is best for evening digestion.

While most mcormick spices are safe and many people here use them, I personally do not trust them. They have some blends that have wheat in them and corn. I have been using Spicely Organics for years, but recently there was a issue apparently with one of their batches -_-. The spice house offers some options, and I am actually working with a new company on developing and marketing my own spices. Look up Big AXE spice company, they have some nice spices that work as season alls for various cuisines, they are salt free which is a huge thing for me (I get too much sodium from egg whites and protein powders so I have to avoid any other intakes)

I posted some links on my last 2017 food list post, the thrive and lucky are the CHEAPEST place to get stuff. Example Lucky Vitamin, I have Nutiva Coconut flour on auto shipment I about $9 for the 3lb bag and get 1-2 bags a month. Both companies randomly offer sales, with % off your entire cart, free items, etc. I watch for them like a hawk and stock up when stuff hits the sale. I love thrive as I can get many snacks, and specialty foods shipped straight too me.

As to garlic, I have to watch garlic, onion, and spice intake some days and not have any in the afternoon or evening. Moderation fine but my picky stomach bluntly tells me when I have too much via burping, churning, and sometimes vomiting.

I recent did a post taking about some other issues and trying to figure them out. best line and summary of this is comparing it to voodoo magic cooking. Sometimes a food will bother you one way, then you cook it a different way or have it on another day and all hell brakes loose. lol

That is really nice to be able to make breads for yourself and your bakery.  Do you get a lot of customers that need gluten-free items?  We have a new bakery in town that offers some gluten-free desserts but I have not dared to try any because I haven't talked with them yet to see if they take cross contamination into account, or use a lot of corn ingredient in their baking.  Seems all the gluten-free goodies in the stores or the gluten-free baking flours all have corn ingredients one way or another. 

Nut meal porridge sounds good.  Is it a brand mix or do you make it from scratch?  I just got cream of rice at the store.   I don't even always want breakfast, although if I don't eat something my sugar crashes.  I wish there was a cheap, quick thing to eat, like a bar.  But no corn ingredient in it.  

Thanks for the spice info.  I just looked up the Big Axe.  I don't like spice mixes usually.  I like just using  a plain spices, and will use some powders, but hate the salts (like garlic salt or onion salt).  I use a lot of dried minced garlic, garlic powder, paprika, dried basil when I am not growing fresh, etc.  My stomach I guess is just so temperamental still right now. 

Thanks for info on Thrive and Lucky.  I just put those websites on my gluten list.  That sounds really helpful.  I'd like to get some energy back and try experimenting with some baking.  I did try making some flat breads last week (with mostly white rice flour, but added a tablespoon of coconut flour).  Well, I didn't get flat bread.  But they became tasty pancakes anyway, lol.  I enjoyed them though. 

It sure is weird how a spice or food can be okay one day, but not another.  Sometimes I am just at a loss as to if something is bothering me.  I thought fiber was bothering me.  Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini all has causes some issues.  Yet I have salad, and I thought lettuce and baby spinach had a lot of fiber, yet the salads didn't seem to bother me.  I haven't even dared try an apple yet, but have been having bananas.  I have had beans a few times but not often or much at at a time.  

So crazy.  But hearing everyone share what seems to work for them, and those websites with good prices and value, that is so helpful.  I appreciate it.  :)   

Tonight for dinner we are having leftover potato salad.  Hubby made that for me yesterday (but I passed on the hot dog yesterday- just wasn't feeling up to that).  The days I was feeling much better, I had potato salad some of those days with bbq chicken (and I think there was even corn ingredient in the sauce), so I am assuming the potato salad should be okay, even with store bought mayo (I use Hellmans).  And I am just heating up a quick turkey burger to have with it tonight (I had leftover steak with it yesterday).  I was trying to find the brand name on the box. It just says Thick Juicy on the front, and says 1/3 lb turkery burgers.  On the back of the box it says Holten Meats.  It's a mostly white box with some red and green writing.  I get them in the freezer section in Market Basket (near the other frozen burgers).  The ingredients are turkey, salt, and rosemary extract and it says gluten free right on the front of the box too.  They are a bit on the salty side, but thought I'd share the brand for anyone who doesn't have salt issues and wants something in the freezer for when you need a quick, easy meal.  Sometimes I melt a piece of cheese on it, other times just have it plain.   I sometimes keep Bubba Burgers in the freezer too. We usually just make our own burgers with ground beef, but I like having things in the freezer and cupboard that are easy for when I am not feeling well.  Which is today.  I had too much sun Saturday and was so sick yesterday because of it, and still not feeling the best today, but improving.  But it was worth it.  It was homecoming Saturday and I saw my daughter marching in a parade and then later playing at the football game, and the band did a halftime show.  I knew it was not going to be good for me out in the sun so much (I have sun sensitivity), but it was a worthwhile day.  

This morning I had my usual coffee early, then later on had a small banana.  And for lunch I want a salad, but my stomach is bloated, so I am thinking of just having the cream of rice I recently bought or just make some eggs.  Not sure I want much fiber or vinegar today.   

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, LilyR said:

That is really nice to be able to make breads for yourself and your bakery.  Do you get a lot of customers that need gluten-free items?  We have a new bakery in town that offers some gluten-free desserts but I have not dared to try any because I haven't talked with them yet to see if they take cross contamination into account, or use a lot of corn ingredient in their baking.  Seems all the gluten-free goodies in the stores or the gluten-free baking flours all have corn ingredients one way or another. 

Nut meal porridge sounds good.  Is it a brand mix or do you make it from scratch?  I just got cream of rice at the store.   I don't even always want breakfast, although if I don't eat something my sugar crashes.  I wish there was a cheap, quick thing to eat, like a bar.  But no corn ingredient in it.  

Thanks for the spice info.  I just looked up the Big Axe.  I don't like spice mixes usually.  I like just using  a plain spices, and will use some powders, but hate the salts (like garlic salt or onion salt).  I use a lot of dried minced garlic, garlic powder, paprika, dried basil when I am not growing fresh, etc.  My stomach I guess is just so temperamental still right now. 

Thanks for info on Thrive and Lucky.  I just put those websites on my gluten list.  That sounds really helpful.  I'd like to get some energy back and try experimenting with some baking.  I did try making some flat breads last week (with mostly white rice flour, but added a tablespoon of coconut flour).  Well, I didn't get flat bread.  But they became tasty pancakes anyway, lol.  I enjoyed them though. 

It sure is weird how a spice or food can be okay one day, but not another.  Sometimes I am just at a loss as to if something is bothering me.  I thought fiber was bothering me.  Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini all has causes some issues.  Yet I have salad, and I thought lettuce and baby spinach had a lot of fiber, yet the salads didn't seem to bother me.  I haven't even dared try an apple yet, but have been having bananas.  I have had beans a few times but not often or much at at a time.  

So crazy.  But hearing everyone share what seems to work for them, and those websites with good prices and value, that is so helpful.  I appreciate it.  :)   

Tonight for dinner we are having leftover potato salad.  Hubby made that for me yesterday (but I passed on the hot dog yesterday- just wasn't feeling up to that).  The days I was feeling much better, I had potato salad some of those days with bbq chicken (and I think there was even corn ingredient in the sauce), so I am assuming the potato salad should be okay, even with store bought mayo (I use Hellmans).  And I am just heating up a quick turkey burger to have with it tonight (I had leftover steak with it yesterday).  I was trying to find the brand name on the box. It just says Thick Juicy on the front, and says 1/3 lb turkery burgers.  On the back of the box it says Holten Meats.  It's a mostly white box with some red and green writing.  I get them in the freezer section in Market Basket (near the other frozen burgers).  The ingredients are turkey, salt, and rosemary extract and it says gluten free right on the front of the box too.  They are a bit on the salty side, but thought I'd share the brand for anyone who doesn't have salt issues and wants something in the freezer for when you need a quick, easy meal.  Sometimes I melt a piece of cheese on it, other times just have it plain.   I sometimes keep Bubba Burgers in the freezer too. We usually just make our own burgers with ground beef, but I like having things in the freezer and cupboard that are easy for when I am not feeling well.  Which is today.  I had too much sun Saturday and was so sick yesterday because of it, and still not feeling the best today, but improving.  But it was worth it.  It was homecoming Saturday and I saw my daughter marching in a parade and then later playing at the football game, and the band did a halftime show.  I knew it was not going to be good for me out in the sun so much (I have sun sensitivity), but it was a worthwhile day.  

This morning I had my usual coffee early, then later on had a small banana.  And for lunch I want a salad, but my stomach is bloated, so I am thinking of just having the cream of rice I recently bought or just make some eggs.  Not sure I want much fiber or vinegar today.   

Yeah I can not handly starchy, or sugar. I bloat and distend, gassy galore, then have my UC go to town and pass blood covered stools. So no grains, sugar, fruits for me. 

The sauce probably had High Fructose Corn Syrup in it, Modified Food Starch (from corn), Straight up Corn Starch or all of them. I gave up with store sauces and make my own.  I use 2  cans diced or crushed unsalted tomatoes, and put then in a baking dish and roast in the even 400F for 30-40mins then plop them in the the blender with 2 tbsp Spicely Organics Steak and Burger seasoning, 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, pinch of stevia, and molasses extract (just a hint if your fine with the real stuff add 2 tbsp)  blend it up and it taste like A1 steak sauce. I sometime do a honey one with with extract.  I am looking at these new allulose sugar free honey sub....wondering how it would work?

I posted a grain free flat bread recipe that you make in a 10" skillet in the recipe section. As for bread etc. the bakery I run is 100% gluten free and corn free. We also do not use dairy and as of this year we phased out grains in our recipes. Only nut based breads, muffins, cakes, and cookies. Our most recent bread is actually inspired by another bakery, Julian Bakery that makes the grain free corn free breads. I got tired of ordering theirs so I perfected my own, and they turned out lighter and fluffier then Julian bakery ones. They do not toast as well but I like the texture more as it reminds me of a cross between a angel cake and white bread. I ended up selling 3 loafs at the last market of a savory herb version.  I also perfected a chocolate cake based on it, and I am working on a spice bread using a similar base with stevia, lakanto sugar free maple, cinnamon, and cake spice. Goal is a diabetic Friendly spice cake/loaf bread that has less then 2h net carbs a slice.  Funny thing my bread was mostly bought by some local diabetics. One says she was going to try it this week and keep testing her blood sugar and report back to me. I make some loafs for my dad who is also a diabetic and he has not had any issues with it.

LilyR Rising Star
4 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Yeah I can not handly starchy, or sugar. I bloat and distend, gassy galore, then have my UC go to town and pass blood covered stools. So no grains, sugar, fruits for me. 

The sauce probably had High Fructose Corn Syrup in it, Modified Food Starch (from corn), Straight up Corn Starch or all of them. I gave up with store sauces and make my own.  I use 2  cans diced or crushed unsalted tomatoes, and put then in a baking dish and roast in the even 400F for 30-40mins then plop them in the the blender with 2 tbsp Spicely Organics Steak and Burger seasoning, 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, pinch of stevia, and molasses extract (just a hint if your fine with the real stuff add 2 tbsp)  blend it up and it taste like A1 steak sauce. I sometime do a honey one with with extract.  I am looking at these new allulose sugar free honey sub....wondering how it would work?

I posted a grain free flat bread recipe that you make in a 10" skillet in the recipe section. As for bread etc. the bakery I run is 100% gluten free and corn free. We also do not use dairy and as of this year we phased out grains in our recipes. Only nut based breads, muffins, cakes, and cookies. Our most recent bread is actually inspired by another bakery, Julian Bakery that makes the grain free corn free breads. I got tired of ordering theirs so I perfected my own, and they turned out lighter and fluffier then Julian bakery ones. They do not toast as well but I like the texture more as it reminds me of a cross between a angel cake and white bread. I ended up selling 3 loafs at the last market of a savory herb version.  I also perfected a chocolate cake based on it, and I am working on a spice bread using a similar base with stevia, lakanto sugar free maple, cinnamon, and cake spice. Goal is a diabetic Friendly spice cake/loaf bread that has less then 2h net carbs a slice.  Funny thing my bread was mostly bought by some local diabetics. One says she was going to try it this week and keep testing her blood sugar and report back to me. I make some loafs for my dad who is also a diabetic and he has not had any issues with it.

That all sounds so good.  That would be great to sell items with no grain, but also something diabetics could have also.  

Pieceworkjean Newbie

My go-to is 8" tortillas made from rice (we buy them 6/bag in the co-op freezer). I use them as wraps for salads and leftovers. Saturday night I put two together with some olive oil between them to make a crunchy pizza crust. Since I can't have tomatoes, my sauce is basil pesto. Since I can't have cheese, I have a couple of sliced meatballs (homemade from my freezer), with mushrooms and kale or spinach.  It's not really pizza but if your diet is as limited as mine is, it's pure bliss! I can't have eggs, corn, soy, or mollusks in addition to the others mentioned above. Another favorite is soup from stock made from whatever meat or bones we had during the week.  And finally, Enjoy Life brand makes a good all-purpose baking mix which I use to microwave "Cake in a Mug" for myself once/ month as a treat. Enjoy Life makes mini chocolate chips i include and some nuts if I have any on hand. 

LilyR Rising Star
16 hours ago, Pieceworkjean said:

My go-to is 8" tortillas made from rice (we buy them 6/bag in the co-op freezer). I use them as wraps for salads and leftovers. Saturday night I put two together with some olive oil between them to make a crunchy pizza crust. Since I can't have tomatoes, my sauce is basil pesto. Since I can't have cheese, I have a couple of sliced meatballs (homemade from my freezer), with mushrooms and kale or spinach.  It's not really pizza but if your diet is as limited as mine is, it's pure bliss! I can't have eggs, corn, soy, or mollusks in addition to the others mentioned above. Another favorite is soup from stock made from whatever meat or bones we had during the week.  And finally, Enjoy Life brand makes a good all-purpose baking mix which I use to microwave "Cake in a Mug" for myself once/ month as a treat. Enjoy Life makes mini chocolate chips i include and some nuts if I have any on hand. 

Is there a brand name of those rice tortillas?   That sounds good. I"d love to find a wrap or tortilla or bread or something that has no corn product in it. I looked up the Enjoy Life stuff.  It doesn't mention on amazon that there is no corn in it, but when you read the ingredients on your boxes, is there no corn ingredient, including no xantham gum? It'd be so great to find baking items with no corn.  

Archived