• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
1 1
Fbmb

Curious about things after healing

Rate this topic

Hi everyone! 

Im almost a year out from my diagnosis. Things seem to be going ok, but I wasn't super symptomatic when I was diagnosed (despite having stage 3b damage), so I don't know if I would feel terrible if I ate gluten. I'm obviously not willing to try it! I'm really diligent. 

When I was diagnosed I read tons of articles about how scary this can be if it goes untreated. I have no idea how long I had it before I knew. I was 29 when I was diagnosed. I was at stage 3b so I assume I'd had it for a while.

when does the risk of adverse health issues lessen? I imagine that eventually those risks decrease, but I don't know when. I'm just curious. Finding out about my celiac really scared me. I wasn't afraid of my celiac, but I was afraid of what it had done to my body - or of what having an autoimmune disease means for me. 

Just wanted to hear your thoughts. 

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Unsure I think it can be better shown in a line graph it really never drops below what a normal persons would be, but the longer your gluten free without mistakes I imagine the line heading down in your chances for other problems. I know my bloat and bloody stool started over a year after going gluten free, (still having cc issues in a shared house when it started) and kept up even on a gluten free diet in my new house I built out just to be a safe house. Then more then a year of bloody stools I finally figured out I had developed ulcerative Colitis. Was also over 2 years into my gluten free diet when I got the corn allergy. I have this year actually lost my sesame seed intolerance. and my histamine issues have lessened in the past few month.

I hear ya, I too have wondered the same thing. We are lucky in that our bodies always try to default back to its healthy normal. I tell myself that because I no longer cause inflammation from gluten, that I have no diverted any autoimmune disorders that were heading my way.

I tell myself that because of being celiac, that I eat way better than anyone around me, and this gives me a gold star. Sure I eat half a gluten free chocolate cake in one sitting - but that is still better than whatever those non-celiacs are eating. Consider that osteoporosis is caused by gluten, we have stopped the progress of that now.

Bodies can have heavy metal poisoning, years of chemical exposure, and still recover, because bodies like to recover, are programmed to recover.

I tell myself, and my kids as I got them all genetically tested too, and yes, I was kind enough to pass on the Celiac genes, that having this knowledge has saved major health concerns in the future. My children do not feel major symptoms at the moment, at least none that they are willing to called Celiac (because then they would have to eat like me), but they have the information and will know what to do when the times, and not think that they are crazy, like my doctor tried to do to me 30 years ago.