This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Histamine vs Lectin Intolerance

Ennis-TX

Ennis-TX Grand Master

This is a bit of a funny issues, I have been thinking I had a histamine issue for the past few months, as certain foods caused me to get sick and vomit, form a mucus on top of my stomach acid, and all kinds of gastric issues.

I assumed histamine due to foods like Red Ripe Tomatoes causing me to vomit, raw almonds, raw seeds, raw cocoa from big tree farms, etc. But for some odd reason seeds and almonds roasted, or bought sprouted in my most recent experiment do not bother me. I just roast them them and no issues, when I make tomato sauces where I first roast the tomatoes in a baking sheet at 400F then make a sauce with it I do not get hte issues of the raw ones with vomiting and indigestion. This had me perplexed as some articles stated cooking things and high heat increased histamine issues with foods. But with lectins this actually breaks them down to be able to be digested, I coupled this concept with my digestion issues and breaking down certain foods and they sorta made that "Ah" point. Could this be a issue with my body having issues breaking down lectins? I mean I can not eat beans, rice, potatoes, even in the  slightest bit or I get major digestive issues.

But on this note some high histamine foods like vinegar from red wine, balsamic, bottled lemon juice, also make me vomit....but apple cider vinegar, real lemon powder, and canned roasted mushrooms all do not despite being high histamine foods.
The food diary is showing patterns with these foods and ways they are prepped but at the same time I am raising eyebrows at what kind of voodoo cooking makes this food safe and others not. I meal really fresh greens raw are a NO, stewed zapped in hte microwave no issues.....almonds, the more they are roasted the less they bother me. I can eat a few raw no issues but a handful and I am praying to the porcelain god. But If I roast them 270-300F for a bit or even deep roast them NO ISSUES and I can eat over 2 cups of them.  Crio Bru Chocolate nibs do not bother me...they are roasted, got some raw ones on sale yesterday. I am vomiting after having a handful...OK NOW. Yeah certified gluten free and organic.

Wondering if I am onto something or just crazy.....my gut is as picky as a little kid at times, and I feel like a hypochondriac with some of these issues and and starting to think I might be crazy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tessa25 Rising Star

I believe the leaky gut diet says cooked vegetables are good, raw bad. With milk allergies baked milk is less problematic because the offending item is chemically changed during baking.  Sounds like what you're noticing.

knitty kitty Grand Master

Funny you should ask about Lectins because I am currently recovering from a recent run in with some pinto beans.  After reading soaking longer than overnight helps break down those Lectins, I soaked them for twenty-four hours  Then I cooked the spots off them!  And still, they have wreaked havoc in my tummy.  Ugh!  

So while recuperating, I did some research.  While cooking can break down some of the lectins, the only way to get rid of them completely is to cook them in a pressure cooker. 

I was surprised to find that Lectins are histamine releasers!  Lectins make Mast cells release all their histamine.  Aha!  

The red wine and balsamic vinegars and the bottled lemon juice are all high in Sulfites.  Sulfites are histamine releasers, too.  Apple cider vinegar is lower in Sulfites.  

Lectins stimulate the autoimmune system:

Open Original Shared Link

More on Lectins and autoimmune diseases:

And for Enis' affinity for chocolate nibs...(as well as my own)...

Chocolate is a source of copper.  Copper deficiency causes neuropathy.  

My neuropathy has gotten worse recently and my chocolate cravings have increased.  Hmmmm......

More info on copper

So...I'm wondering if I've neglected taking copper along with my calcium and magnesium.  I'm starting supplementing this week.

Is copper in any of your protein powders, Enis?  

I hope this helps.

janpell Apprentice

Hate to add more to your list but you may also want to look into Oral Allergy Syndrome. Mostly because how you describe almonds. Yes, it is another extensive list of foods for intolerance and allergies. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Yeah noticing some others, black tea, gives me that film/mucus on top of my stomach while green tea, herbal/hibisicus, and coffee do not. I have recently fell in love with Rythem Kale chips, and roasted kale. Kale raw...I always get sick from. At first it was due to the waxy stuff on the ones I was getting, then I got organic washed. and still got the issue minus the floating waxy stuff in my stomach. Now if I stewed it, nuked it, or made chips out of it no issues. But with the farmer market, me baking for it, and Texas Summer preventing afternoon baking due to heat. I never had time to roast kale this summer. Now with the Rythem Kale it comes prepared in a way that doe not make me sick. Love using it crushed up in my omelettes, or using it crushed as a garnish over my miracle noodles or rice. with a pesto or butter flavored coconut oil.

47 minutes ago, janpell said:

Hate to add more to your list but you may also want to look into Oral Allergy Syndrome. Mostly because how you describe almonds. Yes, it is another extensive list of foods for intolerance and allergies. 

Considered this, I have a friend who has this with bananas and a few other fruits, they do not bother him if he cooks them, raw causes hives and swelling. Again I considered it but I no not have sores form in my mouth like I do with my corn allergy, nor do I get itchy or swelling. Still might be a slight issue I might  give it some more thought. >.> could be the fact I do not have much feeling for heat or pain in my mouth (nerve issues).  But it does sort of apply I need to do some research and see if others have this and might be limited to the vomiting and stomach mucus symptoms also. I might try eating some foods I know I have a allergy to like peaches and mango, just a tiny bit in a extract, and see if I get the same reaction, They normally just cause drainage, and sniffles, even stuff with just the flavoring or extract.

Archived