This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Travel with toaster?

C-rats

C-rats Newbie

Has anyone ever flown with a toaster in your luggage? 

I have to travel for work in a couple weeks. Staff (me) are being told we have to eat at the meals provided. They have assured me that the hotel will have gluten-free meals for me.

I saw the menu for breakfast, and I can't imagine it keeping me full during long meetings. There will be fruit, gluten-free cereal, gluten-free yogurt... I have issues with eggs, so eating breakfast foods while traveling is always a challenge. I was told by my nutritionist not to eat oatmeal.

I'm thinking of packing my toaster in my luggage and having toast with peanut butter every day. 

Has anyone tried traveling with a toaster and gluten-free bread?

Other suggestions? Maybe Epic bars with the breakfast offered?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
37 minutes ago, C-rats said:

I have to travel for work in a couple weeks. Staff (me) are being told we have to eat at the meals provided. They have assured me that the hotel will have gluten-free meals for me.

I saw the menu for breakfast, and I can't imagine it keeping me full during long meetings. There will be fruit, gluten-free cereal, gluten-free yogurt... I have issues with eggs, so eating breakfast foods while traveling is always a challenge. I was told by my nutritionist not to eat oatmeal.

I'm thinking of packing my toaster in my luggage and having toast with peanut butter every day. 

YOu could bring a toaster and bread.  But I think bringing some nuts, crackers and PB ( careful as a carry on on plane), or protein bars wouldn be easier.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't think there would be a problem with the traveling part. However the hotel may be a different matter.  Let the toaster cool then tuck it back in your luggage or put the do not disturb sign on your door.  Also many hotels will have a microwave in your room. I carried a microwave safe bowl and bought safe microwaveable foods rather than risking CC from eating the hotel food. If you do plan on eating at the restaurant at the hotel do talk to the cook and make sure they know what to do to keep your food safe.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, C-rats said:

If flying I do not know, I normally take a car or train. And I bring chef kit with a griddle, and nordicware cookware. My thoughts, bring meal replacement shakes, jars of nut butters, and protein/nut bars,

Perhaps crackers? I know they make some gluten free ones (I can not consume most as I can not have carbs or grains). I honestly make Nut meal/butter porridge out of coconut and almond flour with almond butter. I add extracts and stevia for flavor and sweetener. Other thoughts for cooking in your hotel room. Noridicware makes microwave cookware, grill sheets, steamers, omelette makers (know you can not), rice cookers. etc. You can bring these in your luggage easier and just use the microwave or request one in your room. This way you can say have steamed fish and veggies, bacon, rice, porridge, etc. and fix it safely right in your room.

cyclinglady Grand Master

What? Traveling with a toaster?  Too much bulk!  Just order some toaster bags off Amazon.  They were made originally to make grill cheese in your toaster.  They can be rinsed and reused many many  times.  Pop the bread into the bags and ask staff to put them into the toaster.  Provide a proper explanation.  I like talking to the chef besides staff.  It takes some extra time, but well worth it.  Be nice!!!!

Breakfast and no eggs?   You need protein and fat to keep you full.  Think outside the traditional breakfast items.  We hit the ground and shop for safe food to be kept in the hotel frig.  We keep a set of bowls, utensils, etc. in our luggage.  I did this long before we became celiac.  What I did not spend on food, I spent at the mall (guys tended to blow their expense account on booze).  

Remember, it is about having fun (or working) and not about food.  Yeah, I know you want to feel normal, but it is what it is.  Best to stay safe and healthy.  Nothing worse that getting sick on a trip.  Bring non-perishables as a back-up.  Never leave home without something safe to eat in your briefcase or purse.  

That egg issue?  It just might resolve when you heal! ?

Victoria1234 Experienced

Single serving PB: Open Original Shared Link (Might be good for the airplane ride.)

kareng Grand Master
12 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

Single serving PB: Open Original Shared Link

You can get single serve Jiff or Skippy at Target, etc.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Victoria1234 Experienced
42 minutes ago, kareng said:

You can get single serve Jiff or Skippy at Target, etc.  

I had no idea! I got mine from a hotel this summer :)

kareng Grand Master
17 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

I had no idea! I got mine from a hotel this summer :)

I snitch the hotel ones, too!  and the cream cheese and jelly packets!  Then I put them on my Crunchmasters crackers!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
3 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

just use the microwave or request one in your room. This way you can say have steamed fish and veggies, bacon, rice, porridge, etc. and fix it safely right in your room.

Please if you do cook bacon or fish in your microwave leave a generous tip for the maid. :) He/she will have to spend quite a bit of time getting the smell and grease out for the next guest.  Can you guess what my present occupation is? :ph34r:

Ennis-TX Grand Master
3 minutes ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Please if you do cook bacon or fish in your microwave leave a generous tip for the maid. :) He/she will have to spend quite a bit of time getting the smell and grease out for the next guest.  Can you guess what my present occupation is? :ph34r:

To be nice the steamer has a cover if you get the grill plate, also get the splatter cover, protects your food from CCed microwaves and prevents messes. The linked ones actually fit together, I got mine at the local walmart. IT is wonderful as you can grill stuff on it IN THE MICROWAVE. good for meats, bacon, veggies etc.
Open Original Shared Link
Open Original Shared Link

Victoria1234 Experienced
7 minutes ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Please if you do cook bacon or fish in your microwave leave a generous tip for the maid. 

excellent point

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 hours ago, Victoria1234 said:

excellent point

No kidding!  I do not cook in the hotel room beyond using the microwave to nuke a potato.  I get by on mostly cold food.  It is not forever!  

apprehensiveengineer Community Regular

I've done a lot of "hotel hobo-ing" pre-gluten-free and post-gluten-free. Previously, I did a lot of traveling for university sports and was concerned with saving money/having reliable food that would be nutritious while competing. Now I am more concerned with not getting poisoned.

Bring [dry] rice or corn grits and cook them like oatmeal using either a kettle at the hotel or in the microwave. This does not take up much room in a bag for flying. I personally make my own rice grits using my coffee grinder (do not use brown rice though - it'll take a long time to cook!), but you can probably buy them pre-made.  You might also be able to snag single serving honey, peanut butter, jam, sugar, salt from the hotel itself if you're super thrifty ;). But I usually just buy a jar of peanut butter, tub of yogurt and some fresh fruit or vegetables from a grocery store. Maybe some jerky if I'm feeling fancy.  

If the hotel room doesn't come with a kettle or microwave, you can ask for one. I have never had a problem asking for either a kettle or a microwave when I told the staff I had "severe food allergies" or a "medical reason." . You could also use the coffeemaker to boil water/prepare stuff, but I would not if you are sensitive. Lots of people like old, gluten-eating me use the coffeemaker to cook instant noodles and oatmeal (yes, it does actually work). I would hazard that unlike the mugs/cups they give you in the room, the coffeemaker only gets a superficial rinse between customers. I personally bring a single use drip cone and filters for my coffee or just get the hotel coffee.

Archived