• Ads by Google:
     




    Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

    Ads by Google:



       Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

  • Announcements

    • admin

      Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

      This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Obviously candy isn't good for anyone but Halloween is the exception of the year. That being said what is everyone's favorite candy for the night?! I'd like one night to indulge and not feel left out of the spooky night! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:


6 minutes ago, Jherm21 said:

Obviously candy isn't good for anyone but Halloween is the exception of the year. That being said what is everyone's favorite candy for the night?! I'd like one night to indulge and not feel left out of the spooky night! 

Snickers and Reese's!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Milky Way Dark and Gimbels jelly beans and their licorice scotties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Milky Way Dark and Gimbels jelly beans and their licorice scotties.

15% off the licorice scotties here: http://shop.gimbalscandy.com/Gourmet-Jelly-Beans/p/GIM-10201&c=GimbalsCandy@JellyBeans

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

Thanks for the info. Great for folks that don't have a local source. 

I found a place to get a good deal on both the big bag of jelly beans and licorice at my local Tractor Supply for 3 bucks each. Right now I am eating a 16 oz bag of their Bumble Beans that I got a Big Lots for $1.50. Those and Dark Chocolate baking chips are my worst food addictions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:


There's so much candy that you can eat. M&Ms (except the pretzel), Butterfinger, Skittles, Starburst, Hershey's kisses, Reese's and Reese pieces....

https://www.verywell.com/gluten-free-candy-list-562806

You do have to be a bit careful though with seasonal varieties which may be made on shared equipment. Check the above list which is pretty thorough.

Happy Treating!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TexasJen said:

There's so much candy that you can eat. M&Ms (except the pretzel), Butterfinger, Skittles, Starburst, Hershey's kisses, Reese's and Reese pieces....

https://www.verywell.com/gluten-free-candy-list-562806

You do have to be a bit careful though with seasonal varieties which may be made on shared equipment. Check the above list which is pretty thorough.

Happy Treating!

 

I wish there were comprehensive lists for candies sold in Canada. Every list I come across is US based. Also, apparently, not all similar candies contain the same ingredients. i.e.Smarties in Canada contain gluten, those in the US do not. No idea why :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


Oh, I missed the part about Canadian candy. :) Maybe you can buy some American candy on line - then you would know it's safe. Can you buy American candy on Amazon?  I buy everything on Amazon! :)

Can you call the Hershey's in Canada and ask them?  Pick your favorite candy or two and research it? 

Just a thought....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved Reese peanut butter cup and plain and peanut m and m.

now with the corn and milk intolerance I buy non candy items for Halloween.

Everyone who has Reese's or m & m eat one for me !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know. this will be my first celiac diagnosed halloween. ever where I go I see kit kats which were my favorite. I plan to get some m&m for myself. I still hear from people that 1 won't hurt you, but they don't understand . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


1 hour ago, Flower Fairy said:

I know. this will be my first celiac diagnosed halloween. ever where I go I see kit kats which were my favorite. I plan to get some m&m for myself. I still hear from people that 1 won't hurt you, but they don't understand . 

You can buy some Glutino chocolate covered wafer cookies to help with that Kit Kit addiction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2017 at 10:46 PM, TexasJen said:

Oh, I missed the part about Canadian candy. :) Maybe you can buy some American candy on line - then you would know it's safe. Can you buy American candy on Amazon?  I buy everything on Amazon! :)

Can you call the Hershey's in Canada and ask them?  Pick your favorite candy or two and research it? 

Just a thought....

I think I will do that next year (order candy from the US). My daughter hasn't had Smarties since she was diagnosed with Celiac and the ones here (Canada) contain wheat so buying candy from a US store is what we'll do next Halloween. In the meantime, I'm trying to find treats that although don't actually have "gluten free" on the package, ingredients do not list any gluten containing items. So, are Reese peanut butter cups ok for someone with celiac? What about Aero chocolate bars? Or Oh Henry bars? If anyone has tried these, I'd love to hear if they're safe. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reese's pieces and Reese's PB cups are safe. Also, plain Hershey kisses say gluten free on the package here in the US if you would prefer something labeled.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TexasJen said:

Reese's pieces and Reese's PB cups are safe. Also, plain Hershey kisses say gluten free on the package here in the US if you would prefer something labeled.

Thanks! And no, it doesn't have to necessarily be labelled gluten-free. I'll check the Kisses here. 

I think it's time we take a drive down to the US. Although we (in Canada) have good options when it comes to gluten-free packaged food, it seems the US has just that much more that it'll feel like we have a whole bunch of new food options....especially during events like Halloween. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


I pass out Smarties at Halloween because I get over 500 Trick or Treaters at my house (the next block over gets 1,000).  I am in the US, so they are gluten free.  Tootsie products (Tootie Rolls and suckers, etc. located in Chicago) are gluten free and do not melt.  Critical when it is over 100 degrees!  That would include military international locations and Southern California right now....today.  

When we are not melting, we love to snack on Junior Mints!  

http://www.tootsie.com/faqs

https://www.smarties.com/our-candy/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

I pass out Smarties at Halloween because I get over 500 Trick or Treaters at my house (the next block over gets 1,000).  I am in the US, so they are gluten free.  Tootsie products (Tootie Rolls and suckers, etc. located in Chicago) are gluten free and do not melt.  Critical when it is over 100 degrees!  That would include military international locations and Southern California right now....today.  

When we are not melting, we love to snack on Junior Mints!  

http://www.tootsie.com/faqs

https://www.smarties.com/our-candy/

Why so many? Isn't it a neighborhood thing? Or are they bussed in from nearby states? That's insane!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2017 at 10:37 PM, Scarlettsdad said:

I wish there were comprehensive lists for candies sold in Canada. Every list I come across is US based. Also, apparently, not all similar candies contain the same ingredients. i.e.Smarties in Canada contain gluten, those in the US do not. No idea why :( 

Here is a Hershey's gluten free list for Canada. You have to scroll down past the US list & then it has a list for Canada.

https://www.thehersheycompany.com/en_us/products/dietary-needs.html

This was from Halloween 2015, not sure why there isn't a 2017 list but you can check the 2015 list & it will give you a place to start. Pick out the ones you want to research & call the companies.

https://theceliacscene.com/2015-gluten-free-halloween-candy-list-canada/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2017 at 7:37 PM, Scarlettsdad said:

I wish there were comprehensive lists for candies sold in Canada. Every list I come across is US based. Also, apparently, not all similar candies contain the same ingredients. i.e.Smarties in Canada contain gluten, those in the US do not. No idea why :( 

It's because Smarties as we know them in Canada do not exist because it's a British thing... closest thing the US has is M&Ms. In America, Smarties are Rockets (the chalky pill-like candy). I got had by this one on my first Halloween because I forgot this :(. Should have known as I lived in the US for a bit, but it slipped my mind and I didn't read the ingredient list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

4 4