• Ads by Google:
     




    Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

    Ads by Google:



       Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

  • Announcements

    • admin

      Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

      This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
4 4
kareng

Gluten found in gluten reduced beers

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29047268

 

"...standard, a competitive ELISA, may indicate gluten values <20 mg/kg, which is deemed safe for people with celiac disease. However, in this study, LC-MS analyses revealed gluten peptides derived from hydrolysed fragments, many >30 kDa in size. Barley gluten (hordeins) were detected in all beers analysed with peptides representing all hordein classes detected in conventional beers, but also alarmingly in many gluten-reduced beers...."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:


Thanks for posting this Karen. I haven't dared try any 'gluten removed' beers and don't think I ever will. I'll stick to Green's or Redbridge for my after mowing refreshment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks very much. A gluten removed anything just sounds wrong.

sadly haven't found any gluten-free beer I like so I just stick with water, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used some nice hard cider for a sub in beer can chicken last month for a cookout I was doing. I have been debating using it in place of beer in some marinades, baked goods, or roast that are cooked in a beer. I hear good reviews on them and I keep thinking the ciders might work I know I hear of people using AceCiders but I have not seen them. I used the following ones so far and only the apple. https://austineastciders.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

Used some nice hard cider for a sub in beer can chicken last month for a cookout I was doing. I have been debating using it in place of beer in some marinades, baked goods, or roast that are cooked in a beer. I hear good reviews on them and I keep thinking the ciders might work I know I hear of people using AceCiders but I have not seen them. I used the following ones so far and only the apple. https://austineastciders.com/

Austin's  are good ciders!  

I have good luck using regular ( non- alcoholic) cider, especially for pork  roasts and pork chops!

 

but they do leave a bit of an Apple taste.  I think Austins has a dry cider?  That is less sweet, more beer- like.   They also have an interesting orange flavored one.  Might be good for chicken dishes.  The pineapple didn't taste very pineapples to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:


2 hours ago, kareng said:

Austin's  are good ciders!  

I have good luck using regular ( non- alcoholic) cider, especially for pork  roasts and pork chops!

 

but they do leave a bit of an Apple taste.  I think Austins has a dry cider?  That is less sweet, more beer- like.   They also have an interesting orange flavored one.  Might be good for chicken dishes.  The pineapple didn't taste very pineapples to me.

Yeah I can not drink but as a chef the culinary uses for liquors, wines, and beer/ciders is amazing. Yeah I was thinking the same thing with the orange one using it in wither crock pot a bunch of chicken breast in, marinade them in prior to cooking is another thought. The apple one, I was thinking of doing a roast in it. you know how some people crock pot a roast in dr. pepper, root beer, or actual beer? I was thinking of doing a shoulder roast, or a boston butt in austin apple cider with some bacon and a bit of maplehoney in the pot along with half a sweet onion in there. Cook it say 8 hours, then drain it out and shred it then serve up with some sauce or plain depending on finished flavor. Thinking this would be nice to serve up with my bread for sandwiches, by itself, or perhaps over some chips.

I also have this idea of using it to make a turkey or ham gravy, 8oz, simmer it down with trimmings and drippings from the holiday turkey/ham, the onion we cook in the pan with it chopped, 3 chopped roma tomatoes,  bay leaf, stir it with a rosemary twig, crush it all up with the back of the ladle,  then strain it out and pour in a gravy bowl with some chopped toasted walnuts in the bottom to be served with the dressing, and potatoes at new years for the family....Basing this on what I did last year with a dry sherry, but replacing it with the cider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kareng said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29047268

 

"...standard, a competitive ELISA, may indicate gluten values <20 mg/kg, which is deemed safe for people with celiac disease. However, in this study, LC-MS analyses revealed gluten peptides derived from hydrolysed fragments, many >30 kDa in size. Barley gluten (hordeins) were detected in all beers analysed with peptides representing all hordein classes detected in conventional beers, but also alarmingly in many gluten-reduced beers...."

It's funny you post this as the other day I was looking at the supermarket shelves in the gluten free section. There was a very impressive choice of beers.  A couple of years ago there would be one or two, but I think I counted 8 including a very tempting IPA and another real ale type alongside the more established commercial beers.

I don't drink any more, I gave up in an attempt to help my healing process and didn't start again. I do sometimes think about it however and occasionally I'll miss that beer taste and fancy one. I'm suspicious of the gluten remove process however and this study suggests at least some of the gluten-free beers may not be gluten-free after all. So thanks for posting, this will give me pause for thought should I ever choose to rejoin the drinkers of the world...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


31 minutes ago, Jmg said:

It's funny you post this as the other day I was looking at the supermarket shelves in the gluten free section. There was a very impressive choice of beers.  A couple of years ago there would be one or two, but I think I counted 8 including a very tempting IPA and another real ale type alongside the more established commercial beers.

I don't drink any more, I gave up in an attempt to help my healing process and didn't start again. I do sometimes think about it however and occasionally I'll miss that beer taste and fancy one. I'm suspicious of the gluten remove process however and this study suggests at least some of the gluten-free beers may not be gluten-free after all. So thanks for posting, this will give me pause for thought should I ever choose to rejoin the drinkers of the world...

this article made no mention of "gluten free beer".  There is no reason to think that they are not actually gluten free as they are made with only gluten-free ingredients.

This article is about beer made with barley.  These are not gluten-free beers but often called "gluten reduced" or "gluten removed" in the marketplace.   They are not legally allowed to call the beer gluten-free in the US.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kareng said:

This article is about beer made with barley.

Yes, the beers which I'm referring to had barley listed in the ingredients panel. For example, this was one I was looking at made from malted barley.

4 hours ago, kareng said:

This article is about beer made with barley.  These are not gluten-free beers but often called "gluten reduced" or "gluten removed" in the marketplace.   They are not legally allowed to call the beer gluten-free in the US.  

Here in Europe things are slightly different. As long as the 20ppm test is passed beers can call themselves gluten free, including ones which you would see called gluten removed. So they share the shelves in the Free From section with the naturally gluten free beers you refer to. 

To clarify, I'd be relaxed drinking a beer which never had gluten in it, such as the sorghum based beers which share the shelves with the gluten removed ones over here. I'm nervous about those where the gluten has been removed during the brewing process. This is in part due to a strange reaction I had to another gluten removed beer marketed as gluten free  back when I still drank. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was suspect of this. I did try a sip of my husbands gluten removed Daura Damm during my gluten challenge, since well if there was barley in it I was adding to my challenge. 

It tasted too good ha ha like gluten beer 🍻. So I determined I would not drink it concerned about undetectable levels. I was grateful the company made it for my husband to consume since my trigger sensitive issues have us remove all gluten including his beer from the house.

Edited by Awol cast iron stomach
Forgot word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

4 4

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      108,422
    • Total Posts
      941,187
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      66,347
    • Most Online
      3,093

    Newest Member
    Pamela Illian
    Joined
  • Popular Now

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Yes the crumpets are excellent. I have them quite often in the winter. Look and taste is excellent. They're probably not as chewy as the gluten ones but that's not really an issue as they are chewy in comparison to what I eat now. 
    • Wow! Didn't realise that was a possibilty! I've had the little biscuits they make, they're really nice and the only danger is finishing the entire bag at a sitting! The weird thing is that I wasn't that fussed about panettones until I couldn't have them any more, now I really want one  The BeFree wraps are the best for burritos and the Newburn ones are good for sandwiches and even mini pizzas. They're each expensive but very good as a treat or if travelling. 
    • If you are still worried you can also ask that the dry ingredients be mixed/poured outside (eg. on a deck, balcony etc.) and only be brought inside once combined with the wet ingredients. I believe someone else on the board once posted this as a suggestion, and I took it up to avoid roommate mutiny. Before I insisted on this, I would always get sick when roommates baked, even if I wasn't there at the time or hid in my room during. It might be however, that your current method is fine for you though - not a lot of studies in this area to prove anything either way.
    • I am more stressed about what sales will be out on cyber Monday and black Friday then the actual thanksgiving holidays lol. Cooking is just cooking, I do it daily, just doing more and some special dishes. NOW once a year sales on products I use daily like supplements, spices, foods, flours, etc....now that has me stressed. Like I have a limited budget but if I get them on these sales I save money for the next few months buying in bulk on sale......but then the stress of borrowing money and doing so....which purchases to make, what saves me the most in the long run, will it last me til the next sale...balancing all this out with a limited budget when your bad with numbers is scary/frustrating. Damnest thing is I do not care for the specials on technology. vanity items, etc. I am just focusing on essentials and stuff I use or would use daily to improve my life and make savings in the long run. I think the only actual 2 items I am looking at is a charm for my mother for Christmas and a water filtration system for my kitchen. Other then that it is all food, supplements, spices, and medications lol.

      OH another funny thought due to lack of orders, I am opting to go help cook a community dinner at a church for over 450 people. I already brought/opted in to bring my own spices, starches, etc for the areas to keep it safe for my stations and will be helping with the turkeys and serving up a bunch of gluten free/corn free desserts so I will be in a safe element for my health risk. Got 16 turkeys, 1 food service pan of gluten free pear cobbler, 1 pan of pumpkin chocolate brownies gluten free, pumpkin pies to pull out and do starting in the morning.
    • http://www.newburnbakehouse.com/supermarket-products#wraps Starbuck's also had wrap sandwiches in London and this was the company they used.  Warburton's bread and wraps put everything in the US to shame.  The wraps are moist, delicious and do not SPLIT!  I could actually consider a move to the the UK just to have access to this bread.  I will say it again.....the UK has the BEST gluten-free bread I have ever had.  If I could afford shipping a cooler of the stuff to the US, I would.  Really miss my good bread.  And now I see they have crumpets........ Costa coffee is great...never had a problem with it.
  • Upcoming Events