• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
2 2
Binti1962

Positive biopsy, carry gene variant but negative blood tests

Rate this topic

Hello, i need some input. Two years ago I had an upper endoscopy with 6 biopsies showing some interepithelial lymphocytes and shortened villi so I was sent for blood work which came back negative but I had been on a gluten feee diet for 2-3 months prior to bloodwork.  What are the chances I had a false negative with the blood tests?  I’ve now been on a gluten free diet for 3 days and the change in my intestinal issues is remarkable.  Painful joints feel slightly better too. What should I do?  Oh, I also carry a gene which increases the likelihood of celiac.  Should I go back to eating gluten and ask for the blood tests to be repealed ???

thanks; Sarah

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

12 minutes ago, Binti1962 said:

Hello, i need some input. Two years ago I had an upper endoscopy with 6 biopsies showing some interepithelial lymphocytes and shortened villi so I was sent for blood work which came back negative but I had been on a gluten feee diet for 2-3 months prior to bloodwork.  What are the chances I had a false negative with the blood tests?  I’ve now been on a gluten free diet for 3 days and the change in my intestinal issues is remarkable.  Painful joints feel slightly better too. What should I do?  Oh, I also carry a gene which increases the likelihood of celiac.  Should I go back to eating gluten and ask for the blood tests to be repealed ???

thanks; Sarah

If you were gluten-free for months before the blood work, it should be negative.  It is meaningless as a test for Celaic at that point.  IF you have been eating gluten for the last 2 years, keep eating it and get a new blood test.  

• Like 1

If you are going to get retested, ask for the complete celiac panel (EMA, TTG and DGP — both IgA and IgG versions.  Why?  I am one of the oddballs who has never tested positive (even in follow-up) on the popular and most commonly ordered TTG.  

If my GI had not ordered the complete panel, my diagnosis would not have been made.  I had a positive on the DGP IgA only.  My biopsies revealed a Marsh Stage IIIB.  

Ads by Google: