This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Subtle D

Ennis-TX

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Noticing I am having D quite easy nothing bad, painful or gassy, just D or super soft stool in the mornings for the past 4 days. Food Diary suggest several culprits, my BBQ jackfruit seems to be the number one suspect, This is my BBQ cuisine week or two and I can not eat meat so I have a big wad pinch of shredded homemade BBQ Jackfruit. I have done a gluten test on it and that is not the reason but perhaps the seasonings or perhaps hte cider vinegar I put it in fermented it a bit?

Other thoughts on culprits, I have upped my vitamin C intake to about 1500mg a day spaced out in 2 doses Vitamin C has been linked to D in many cases and is one reason why some people get D when they take a vit C supplement in conjunction with fruit.
I have also upped my cocoa nib intake this could be a culprit also,
I have cut back on binding seeds like flax, whole shell pumpkin, and chia which used to be a huge fiber supplement so this could be the cause of more softer stools.Next week I start back on chia seeds in my eggs and we shall see if my stools firm back up. 
I also doubled up on probiotics as I was taking half the recommended dose prior.
Eating a bunch more cinnamon, and cinnamon oil, but I do this on rotation so doubt it,
My new low carb bread, I am eating 2-4 slices of this grain less bread a meal now. This could be it but this bread using coconut flour in it, and egg whites. I doubt this is the case, as coconut flour is known to absorb liquid a lot, and tends to firm up ones stool and in fact cause constipation in people if they do not consume it with a lot of liquid. I came across health concerns with other bakers when I was working on this recipe about it.
My protein intake went up to double what it used to be 5 weeks ago, doubt this is the issue but this week, I changed it using a custom blend with MUCH less rice protein and more pea and sancha inchi. I noticed the more rice protein I consumed the worse my edema got with legs and feet swelling. Have this well under control now with no swelling,
I considered it perhaps my extreme coffee intake but I have changed to only 2 cups of caffeinated coffee a day starting mid last month. Down from a whole pot.......so now I drink about a pot of decaf a day. I doubt this is it as it never gave me a issue with the much more likely culprit of full on caffeinated in the same amount.

While I try to trouble shoot it I am actually slightly enjoying it. Odd as this might sound, I spent most my life with chronic constipation, and the only relieve I used to get came with a glutening and that had EXTREME pain and gas. Followed by a week or so of constipation so bad I had to take laxatives.  This....this is just a release with no pain or gas....odd and creepy but I seem to have much more energy, and I can eat and drink a lot more. >.< I think I might enjoy this ride a bit of regularity even if it is a bit off, it is a huge change from my hard stools and painful movements of years past.  -_- I mean I have gone as far in the past as taking a entire bottle of miralax to try to go and just had gassy normal BM 24 hours later and frankly miralax makes me feel like groggy, tired, and like the blob, I am that guy that had to double the dose of everything for the scope prep and had the doctor think I cheated when I told him the first time I did it right and did not clean me out. I want to find out what is triggering this and add it to my regime for clean out or laxative treatment after a glutening next time when that C hits for a week.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Long post and, excuse the pun, there's a lot to digest there!

How many grams of fiber per day do you figure you are getting with all that?

I would look at the 1500 mg of C you are taking. That's a lot of ascorbic acid and may be changing the PH of your gut to contribute to the soft stools. Same with coffee/caffeine. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
14 minutes ago, trents said:

Long post and, excuse the pun, there's a lot to digest there!

How many grams of fiber per day do you figure you are getting with all that?

I would look at the 1500 mg of C you are taking. That's a lot of ascorbic acid and may be changing the PH of your gut to contribute to the soft stools. Same with coffee/caffeine. 

Between 70+ grams of fiber a day average sometimes in the 100+ gram range....I eat mostly nuts, seeds, greens, etc. Whole shell on the seeds none for the past week which has me thinking that might be part of it, I upped my cocoa nib intake and coconut intake which should increase the fiber back to the 60-90g range a day.
 The PH...did not think of that high chance, between the enzymes, the higher PH seeds I just changed to (sancha inchi from pumpkin) combined with the cocoa, coffee, and vitamin C, then throw in my suspected BBQ jackfruit which has apple cider vinegar added for bite.....yeah much higher PH then the week before.

Archived