This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Inflammation of one side ?

Melody59

Melody59 Newbie

Whenever I eat something that contains wheat my left side becomes VERY inflamed. And everyone worries that my heart is involved. My right side is not affected at all ! Also my teeth on my left side have all experienced cracking and weakness, my left eye is experiencing more eyelid closure than right. when I am extra vigilant about my gluten intake, these symptoms better themselves. Does this indicate than I'm just gluten sensitive and can be okay if I just avoid it all together, is there a self remedy to start clearing the reminants on my own?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Victoria1234 Experienced
1 hour ago, Melody59 said:

Whenever I eat something that contains wheat my left side becomes VERY inflamed. And everyone worries that my heart is involved. My right side is not affected at all ! Also my teeth on my left side have all experienced cracking and weakness, my left eye is experiencing more eyelid closure than right. when I am extra vigilant about my gluten intake, these symptoms better themselves. Does this indicate than I'm just gluten sensitive and can be okay if I just avoid it all together, is there a self remedy to start clearing the reminants on my own?

Please go to your doctor and get the full celiac blood work panel done asap. 

Do not stop eating gluten until ALL testing is completed. Your doctor may refer you for more testing when your blood work comes back.

It's important that you get tested for celiac, rather than going off gluten on your own.

Please feel free to ask us any and all questions in the meantime! It definitely sounds like you are at least sensitive to gluten!

plumbago Experienced
4 hours ago, Melody59 said:

Hello,

I’m not capable of explaining exactly what’s going on with the left-sided only symptoms, beyond suggesting a possible association with nerve damage, but really a doctor should be the one to weigh in. The advice to continue eating gluten (and there are guidelines as to how much) before a celiac test is good, and worth following. If you are concerned about your heart, write down your symptoms and tell your doctor about every one of them, noting when they started, when they occur (if they are not constant) and any associated symptoms or triggers. Also, there are cardiac markers that your doctor can test for, and you can also get an EKG if you are really concerned, but really an EKG just captures what is going on at that very moment, and you may or may not be having cardiac symptoms at that time. There are other tests as well (including a stress test).

Plumbago

Jmg Mentor
5 hours ago, Melody59 said:

Hi melody,

when on gluten I got horrible chest pains on the left side of my chest. Thought I was having heart attack each time, but heart checks were negative. 

Note that I tested negative for celiac, but going gluten free stopped the chest pains.

so stay on gluten, go to your doctor, request celiac testing, when all tests are complete, if negative, try the gluten free diet anyway, you may be like me. :)

best of luck!

Archived