This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Diagnosis

tlison2

tlison2 Newbie

Hi. Had endo and colonoscopy 2 wks ago for something else.  Showed Celiac on biopsies. Dr sent me for bloodwork and told me to start gluten-free now. 

Wondering if bloodwork comes in negative if things could change. Seeing her again Wednesday. Nurse said it’s not likely to change as biopsy says Celiac, and we will prioritize the Celiac then worry about the other stuff when I see doctor. 

Just curious. Thanks for any input.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judy3 Contributor

I highly doubt that the diagnosis will changed based on the blood work.   They've already diagnosed with biopsy which is the 'gold standard'.   My blood work was negative as I was too sick to eat much but my genetic testing and the endo biopsy proved Celiac.    Gluten free 7 yrs here.   

Victoria1234 Experienced

It probably won't change either way the blood work goes. The endo is the gold standard of celiac dx. 

Do you have any symptoms? 

And welcome! We are a great group of people, albeit a bit slow on weekends. 

Feel free to ask away, and post your test results if you need help :)

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Welcome, you probably need to check out the newbie 101 section, there is a bit of a change, and clean out phase but pretty easy. It might seem a bit overwhelming at first but quickly becomes second nature to check labels, and stick to certain products. Few other limitations but you learn and adapt and just have to do some things differently. We do suggest a whole foods only diet at first to boost healing. We also suggest dropping dairy and oats for the first few months. So if you had any other symptoms we can help you out with. Many are nutrient deficiency related, some you might not even notice as they have been your "normal" for so long. But you will find a new life opening up as you heal.

Few helpful links
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/119661-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2017/

cyclinglady Grand Master

Even if your complete blood panel (TTG, DGP and EMA) is negative, that does not mean that you do not have Celiac disease as some 10% of celiacs are seronegative.  Trialing the diet will help confirm a diagnosis.  Your doctor may order a genetic test.  There are other things that can cause villi damage: 

Open Original Shared Link

tlison2 Newbie

Thank you for replies. Most of our food is okay already, but I cleaned out flours, spice blends, etc, checked all labels. Restocked almost all of that. Loaded up my normal go to fruits/veggies and located gluten-free bread, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks to help until I get the hang of different flours, bread and sauces. 

I do have diverticulosis, gastritis, reflux, possibly an ulcer to contend with. Some polyps and lipomas removed. Chronic complex migraine, hair loss, and osteoporosis. Might be better if I could sleep at night, but I sleep better during the day. I’m a hot mess right now. 

A few days in, and I do feel a little bit better. Not much pep yet but not in fetal position or running to bathroom either. 

Its a little overwhelming!

Thank you again!

Archived