This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Removing gluten and reintroducing it before endoscopy?

seerwatch77

seerwatch77 Apprentice

Hi, I just got the blood test for celiac done and the results came back positive. My mother and aunt both are diagnosed with celiac so it is likely I have it too.

My doctor said the endoscopy will take a while to get (on the order of months) and that I should start a gluten free diet immediately, then go back on gluten for the six weeks prior to test. But I heard that the reaction to gluten was worse for celiacs when they followed a gluten free diet for a while and then reintroduced it. I have a lot of symptoms that are likely caused by celiac, but I've been dealing with them for a year or so, so another few months isn't a huge deal, although of course I would rather avoid them. So if it better if I stay on a gluten diet for the next few months until the endoscopy instead of eliminating gluten and then reintroducing it?

My other question is if I stay on a gluten diet from now until the endoscopy, will consuming less gluten (1 meal a day instead of 3) cause less damage and symptoms? In other words, is the severity of the symptoms and damage dependent on the amount ingested or is it the same no matter how much is ingested if I'm eating it regularly? And if I do reduce the amount, should I increase it again in the six weeks prior to the test?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Well, you are in a tough spot.    You only need to consume 1 or 2 slices of bread per day for 2 to 4 weeks prior to an endoscopy (University of Chicago).  Damage can occur quickly in the small intestine, but it takes longer to build antibodies found in your bloodstream.  Consider staying on gluten and try to get a cancellation.  Call every few days.  That has worked for many members.  

We all react differently to gluten.  There is no consensus among celiac disease researchers as to EXACTLY how much gluten sets off a celiac-flare-up.  It is hard to gauge the amount of gluten you consume and symptoms as some celiacs are asymptomatic.  

I was just anemic when I was tested (had lots of little symptoms that I now know to be celiac-related).    I waited seven weeks for my endoscopy due to work constraints.  I literally gorged on gluten eating all my favorite foods.  By the end of seven weeks, my GI system was really inflamed.  

Will your result be like mine?  Who knows?  

I hope this helps.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Tanner L
    Newest Member
    Tanner L
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Tanner L
      I have Celiac and had a bad reaction to the regular cheddar and sour cream Ruffles.  The baked ones in this flavor are apparently marked gluten-free, but watch out for the regular ones.  I wish I would have seen a post like mine, instead of one that was specifically referring to the baked chips from my google search, before I pulled the trigger.  Hopefully some day they'll require gluten disclosure on the ingredients, not just "wheat."  
    • Denise I
      I am trying to find a Celiac Dietician who works with the Celiac Disease Foundation.  They don't have to be located in my area because I can do video visits. Can anyone help with this?
    • trents
      What is a "boots pharmacist"?
    • Nacina
      Well, that's a big question. When he was seeing the nutrition response testing dr. that changed each time we went in. He hasn't been seeing him regularly for theist ten months. When he had a horribly week in March I started him back on the 4 that were suggested to keep him on. Those are: Standard Process Chlorophyll Complex gluten-free, SP A-F Betafood gluten-free, SP Tuna Omega-3 Oil gluten-free, And Advanced Amino Formula. He also takes a one a day from a company called Forvia (multivitamin and mineral) and Probiotic . Recently he had to start Vitamin D as well as he was deficient.  
    • Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks