This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ferritin levels and celiac?

Breezy1

Breezy1 Explorer

Hi everyone! 

I recently decided to try seeing a naturopathic doctor, because I didn’t find conventional doctors were taking me seriously. I had my first visit with my new doctor yesterday, and it went pretty well. We talked about all my symptoms, after that she wanted to try pressing on tender points on my body, because she suspected a possibility of fibromyalgia. Out of the 18 tender points I scored 17. Which is above what’s needed for diagnosis, but she also ordered some tests to check my thyroid, ferritin, and C-reactive protein. 

From what I can tell the thyroid and C-reactive protein look normal, but ferritin was on the low side, although still in normal range. 

Here are my results for ferritin: 

Ferritin   27            15-247

Adults: <15: diagnostic of Iron Deficiency
15-50: Probable Iron Deficiency
51-100: Possible Iron Deficiency
>100: Iron Deficiency unlikely
persistently >600: Test for Iron overload

So my understanding of this is that my levels are not severely low, but still not good? I have another appointment with my doctor next Thursday to discuss my results, and start talking about an elimination diet. Although I will be getting the rest of the celiac panel done before I start that, as she’s aware my last doctor only did one test for ttg iga, which came back negative. 

Anyone else have similar levels of ferritin before diagnosis?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, Breezy1 said:

Hi everyone! 

I recently decided to try seeing a naturopathic doctor, because I didn’t find conventional doctors were taking me seriously. I had my first visit with my new doctor yesterday, and it went pretty well. We talked about all my symptoms, after that she wanted to try pressing on tender points on my body, because she suspected a possibility of fibromyalgia. Out of the 18 tender points I scored 17. Which is above what’s needed for diagnosis, but she also ordered some tests to check my thyroid, ferritin, and C-reactive protein. 

From what I can tell the thyroid and C-reactive protein look normal, but ferritin was on the low side, although still in normal range. 

Here are my results for ferritin: 

Ferritin   27            15-247

Adults: <15: diagnostic of Iron Deficiency
15-50: Probable Iron Deficiency
51-100: Possible Iron Deficiency
>100: Iron Deficiency unlikely
persistently >600: Test for Iron overload

So my understanding of this is that my levels are not severely low, but still not good? I have another appointment with my doctor next Thursday to discuss my results, and start talking about an elimination diet. Although I will be getting the rest of the celiac panel done before I start that, as she’s aware my last doctor only did one test for ttg iga, which came back negative. 

Anyone else have similar levels of ferritin before diagnosis?

I had 1-2 normally.....last test was 6....but I workout all the time and keep walking/cycling all day. If you wish to help raise it combining vitamin C with high iron foods should work for you. Iron supplementation but be a bit much at your levels but I am not a doctor. I like to use pea protein, pumpkin seed protein, etc as they are high in iron with each meal. If you eat meats I hear organ meats are good for this ( I can not eat meats).
Keep on checking stuff out and getting on with the testing, if your doing a gluten challenge, enjoy the foods while you can like a food bucket list. So if you have to eliminate gluten you can be happy you knocked out those things you always wanted to try.

cristiana Veteran

Mine was 6 at diagnosis and has been as high as 40 since, but has recently gone down to 12. I've had gastritis over the summer so have been staying away from supplements as iron hurts my stomach.  

I wonder if you have any symptoms? I find that my hair thins when my iron reserves are low. I also get itchy skin, and a sore tongue.   A consultant said I should try to get my iron up to 40 again and I may well feel better.  So that is what I'm going to aim for by taking Floradix with food (I can't take it on an empty stomach as it hurts too much).  The problem is my haemoglobin is high normal so they need to monitor that I don't overdo the iron, as that can be dangerous.

Breezy1 Explorer
9 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

I had 1-2 normally.....last test was 6....but I workout all the time and keep walking/cycling all day. If you wish to help raise it combining vitamin C with high iron foods should work for you. Iron supplementation but be a bit much at your levels but I am not a doctor. I like to use pea protein, pumpkin seed protein, etc as they are high in iron with each meal. If you eat meats I hear organ meats are good for this ( I can not eat meats).
Keep on checking stuff out and getting on with the testing, if your doing a gluten challenge, enjoy the foods while you can like a food bucket list. So if you have to eliminate gluten you can be happy you knocked out those things you always wanted to try.

Thank you for the advice! I don’t really work out. My job has me moving and on my feet most of the day, but otherwise I’m so tired I find it hard to do much of anything. That’s a good idea! I’m not doing a challenge at the moment, haven’t tried eliminating gluten but after testing that will be the next step. 

5 hours ago, cristiana said:

Mine was 6 at diagnosis and has been as high as 40 since, but has recently gone down to 12. I've had gastritis over the summer so have been staying away from supplements as iron hurts my stomach.  

I wonder if you have any symptoms? I find that my hair thins when my iron reserves are low. I also get itchy skin, and a sore tongue.   A consultant said I should try to get my iron up to 40 again and I may well feel better.  So that is what I'm going to aim for by taking Floradix with food (I can't take it on an empty stomach as it hurts too much).  The problem is my haemoglobin is high normal so they need to monitor that I don't overdo the iron, as that can be dangerous.

It seems you guys had quite a bit lower levels than I do. I do have symptoms, my symptoms are migraines, stomach aches that get worse after meals, loose stool nearly every day for the last 4 years, with occasional constipation. Extremely painful, heavy periods since they started, that are also really irregular and can last up to 10 days. Itchy rash on my shoulders, and most of my back. Sore tounge. Severe fatigue regardless of how much or little I sleep, have had this since I was a teen but gotten a lot worse the last few years. Muscle and joint pain, recently my feet have started hurting and get tingly at night time. I’ve had heart palpatiatons that hospitalized me in the past. And i have heart burn most days, been on about a 4 week streak with that as of now, but it goes away occasionally. I’ve also had anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember. Most of these symptoms I’ve had since childhood, some started as a teenager, but all have gotten worse the past few years. Oh and my nails break easily. 

Im curious what my doctor will say at our next appointment. I will keep you all updated. Thank you guys for all your help :)

cap6 Enthusiast

Interesting on your ferritin levels.  When first diagnosed, in 2010,  I was very low iron and I was started on iron supps.  Fast forward 7 years and my iron levels were at 1,200!  Just diaqgnosed with genetic hemochromatosis, a genetic iron overload.  Now starts the struggle to lower the iron levels with weekly blood draws of 1 pint of blood.  I have the same symptoms of exhaustion, no energy, constipation as when I was low iron.  Sigh!!!!!   No solution for you, just sympathy!!!

Breezy1 Explorer
14 minutes ago, cap6 said:

Interesting on your ferritin levels.  When first diagnosed, in 2010,  I was very low iron and I was started on iron supps.  Fast forward 7 years and my iron levels were at 1,200!  Just diaqgnosed with genetic hemochromatosis, a genetic iron overload.  Now starts the struggle to lower the iron levels with weekly blood draws of 1 pint of blood.  I have the same symptoms of exhaustion, no energy, constipation as when I was low iron.  Sigh!!!!!   No solution for you, just sympathy!!!

Wow that sounds very high! I find it interesting how symptoms of high and low are similar. I hope things go well for you to with lowering your levels!!

Archived