• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
3 3
AJS3849

Do enzymes help mitigate inadvertent gluten ingestion?

Rate this topic

I have celiac and have followed a strict gluten-free diet for seven years.  Now that we are retired, my husband and I travel a lot and that means dining out a lot.  I always inform wait staff of my celiac disease and my need to avoid gluten but still occasionally get glutened and suffer the miserable results.  I see ads for enzymes that break down gluten and wonder if they are effective in mitigating the reaction.  I understand that they are not designed to allow celiacs to consume gluten freely, but I would like to be able to have an antidote that will at least make the reaction less severe.  Has anyone found these to be effective in that way?

Edited by AJS3849
Needed to correct incorrect wording.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

They are supposed to make the symptoms shorter and less severe be eliminating some of the gluten. In theory they work, I know when I tried them years ago....I saw no effect, gluten was gluten and I was sick. This is why I am so against them and their marketing scheme and have advocated against them for a long time. PS some people on this board are paid by the companies for referrals, link clicks etc. -_- I just kicked a  hornets nest but this much is true.  I think for the $100 dollar cost of pills, the fact your still doing damage to you intestines or worse, and still get sick regardless they are not wort it. NOW if you take samples well, a NIMA Sensor can be used to detect gluten in food when eating out. Still very expensive, it is HYPER sensitive and will go off often on things less then 20ppm with even the tiniest bit of gluten. It can enable you to test you food and avoid the entire OH they glutened me I am sick, weeks worth of raised antibodies etc.
PS I am a ambassador for NIMA Sensor, but I am not paid or compensated here for sales/purchases etc. I just love how it opened up some foods that were iffy to my diet and I can sometimes try new things with peace of mind.

I find they do work. I currently use  Enzymedica Digest Spectrum (it does gluten and a bunch of other things). I used to use Enzymedica Gluten Ease but as I got older I like the broader spectrum digestive enzymes better. I find if I do get cross contamination taking 2 will eliminate the symptoms of needing to urgently go to the bathroom right away. If I don't have any on me then I need to go, and go, and go. But if I do then after the 1st time and then I take the pills I'm good. 

If I go to a new restaurant or someplace I am not sure of I try to take them at the beginning of the meal. Then I never know if I got glutened at all. Many times on a trip I just take them before every meal so I don't have to worry about it.

I still seek out the safest restaurants where the personnel seem to know what they are doing and tell them it is a gluten allergy order.

I think you should look for ones that are fairly new and made by an actual doctor that is doing research on a world wide level.  They are developing one but the clinical trials in the US will make it take a while to get out.  So.... maybe they have released it as a "supplement"?  But it won't be some of the ones that have no real scientific research .