This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hemp and Gluten wtf

Ennis-TX

Ennis-TX Grand Master

As many know I love hemp, and I used to always suggest it to everyone for helping mood, getting fats, fiber, regulating oneself etc. Thing is starting around June I started getting a bit iffy from my jarrow hemp, numbness, dropping things, walking into stuff, burning myself and not realizing it, brain fog then constipation creeping in despite excessive amounts of magnesium citrate. So I started testing my foods and one of them the hemp protein came back positive....NOW i have had issues with Manitoba and nutiva awhile back and dropped them due to CC. I in fact tested both with nima and got positive, I sent the Manitoba in to GFWD for testing and it came back with 6ppm...tech gluten-free but it did the same thing, not enough to trigger vomiting but enough for the neurological symptoms and gluten ataxia (as my antibodies go up my immune system attacks my nervous system and brain not just my gut) to slowly start to show over a few days to a week.

Fast forward to now, I know Manitoba, Nutiva, and now Jarrow Hemp have CC issues, Mygerbs.com sales pure hemp seeds, and ground hemp that always test negative for gluten, I was recently informed of justhemp company that makes a supposedly gluten free hemp.....and it tested positive......OK what in the world is up with hemp now. It used to be such a minor issue with CC, now that there is a big boom in production seems more farmers are growing in it in rotation with wheat. I also read they will use the same harvesting and transport equipment to work with the hemp that they do wheat......I mean REALLY?! I know companies want the stuff cheap but they need to buy from dedicated hemp farmers, this CC issue is really throwing a wrench in my diet having problems finding a pure gluten-free source. Feels like a reversal of the whole CCed oat bull sh*t.

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Update latest batches I got lab tested and results....explains why I have no immediate reaction to hemp but a slow onset of various symptoms, degrading health...then D for weeks even off them. Last one I was on the Just Hemp Foods one for about 2 weeks straight, The company assured me it was batched tested and 100% gluten free..... I still have D randomly over a week later.....Heck lol IF I still had insurances I could have called it a gluten challenge
Jarrow Hemp contained 11.2 PPM gluten
Manitobo hemp powder+fiber contained 6.8 PPM gluten
Just Hemp Foods protein contained 15.4 PPM gluten

Ennis-TX Grand Master

OK 2 weeks after eating that 15.4ppm hemp for over a week straight 2 full on scoops a day.....I STILL have D, gas, nerve tweaks, with numbness, twitching......I have been off the stuff for 2 whole weeks.....I threw away the hand blender that was CCed as there was no way to clean around the shaft, got a new mixing cup, threw away the omelette maker and got a new one, and the only thing I could only wash like crazy and not toss that was exposed was my icecream maker but I cleaned the brushed aluminum in it like crazy, and rand it 3 times in the dishwasher....Do not think I am still getting CC.  I have not have a slow, long therm exposure like this in years....last year I had that issue with the major sudden CC that caused complete motor loss and fucked me up for a week....but this .....2 weeks?! This is maddening.....the symptoms are different a bit, it was a light long term exposure.....I hate this feeling of out of it numbness, and D every morning. Like it is not my body -_-
Prayers, thoughts, and opinions welcome.

squirmingitch Veteran

I am so sorry Ennis!

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am sorry too.  ?

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Oh no-

Ennis d and all the nerve tweaks / twitching/ numbness

my sympathies I barely have those symptoms in my rear view mirror now

good call on ditching that hand blender 

sometimes once that switch gets flipped even just cc it feels unrelenting . 

Imho you probably have been so careful that the 15 ppm is just a no go even if below 20 ppm

you healthy otherwise no viral or other issues stressing your system?

then that hemp canister go bye bye and likely no repeat even if Nima says below 20 and at 15 ppm

Ennis' immune system dictates all

In my thoughts and prayers

stay hydrated if you can , if I don't everything is worse 

Keep us posted and rest if you can 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
16 minutes ago, Awol cast iron stomach said:

Oh no-

Ennis d and all the nerve tweaks / twitching/ numbness

my sympathies I barely have those symptoms in my rear view mirror now

good call on ditching that hand blender 

sometimes once that switch gets flipped even just cc it feels unrelenting . 

Imho you probably have been so careful that the 15 ppm is just a no go even if below 20 ppm

you healthy otherwise no viral or other issues stressing your system?

then that hemp canister go bye bye and likely no repeat even if Nima says below 20 and at 15 ppm

Ennis' immune system dictates all

In my thoughts and prayers

stay hydrated if you can , if I don't everything is worse 

Keep us posted and rest if you can 

Yep making sure I am drinking a glass of liquid every few hours, added more minerals to my diet to keep them in check, upped my salt intake a bit, and I am trying to eat stuff to thicken my stool...ground flax seed mixed up with liquid to form flax eggs, coconut flour breads, adding both to my eggs.smoothies to thicken them up, trying to firm it up some. Funny but starting the ground flax, and coconut flour in my meals has changed the stool from liquid to cow pie but still dropping them 2-3times a day -_-. Just making sure I am eating bland/stevia sweet/herbed meals...I learned early last week spices are a NOO right now with extreme burn lol. Pea milk (ripple) and Nutritional yeast are higher in potassium so getting uped sources there and cutting back on my magnesium a bit and changed from citrate to glycinate for now til the stools firm back up.......To be honest, loose stools were great the first 2 days.....like always constipated....but now ....I sort of miss constipation lol.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 years later...
Angela Arden Newbie

Whilst reading Enis's input I thought I just might be able to help (?) So I just signed-up from Australia! I too seem to be having problems with Hemp Protein powder and was pleased to see that you are able to get yours tested. I used the Manitoba product with similar results to you. Enough to make anyone like us swear!

There  may well be another reason besides the gluten reading, one that I knew nothing about until I bought my first lot of Plant protein which made me really ill. On studying the contents it became clear that it was the LECTIN'S in the product that had caused a flare up from my stomach to the end of my intestines and weeks later I'm still trying to heal the damage. If you haven't heard about Lectins, they are mostly found in seeds, grains, beans and nightshade plants like tomatoes and potatoes. etc. So it's possible that the seeds from the hemp could be in some way shape or form causing the problems you have? 

It's almost impossible to get all Lectin's out of your diet but you can at least stay away from the high level ones. [Lectin's have protein that is said to be very much like the gluten protein and I for one can believe that.] Don't throw the towel in as peeled and cooked potato it's should be OK. Tomato is a bit harder as you have to peel it and remove the seeds. *Seeing you had trouble with sesame seeds would mean that they contain this hideous trap too. Whatever you do do NOT eat raw beans = cook them very well.  

Like most of you I have a long list of things I'm intolerant to, now I've had to add other things to my list = BUGGER! All I can say is it's better to know now even for those that don't yet have this problem = I wish I'd have known before I spent $100 on the wrong stuff.

I wish you all love and peace together with a prayer for all of us that suffer in this way, hopefully these days you won't have to wait 18 years for a test that You had to ask for.

Love Angela xxxx

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I did develop a issue with pea protein earlier this year causing some gastro issues. But the nuts/seeds are still in my diet without issues. I shifted away from flax and chia and rarely do I still use Hemp, the headache of getting stuff without issues was a problem. Still have some gerbs whole seeds that I sort the be sure and snack on sometimes or add to something that needs crunch (no gastro issues with the hemp). 

Now days, I am a lot more active (physically) and my diet changed significantly back in like I think April of 2020. I began able to eat meats much easier without digestion issues, and changed to a mostly carnivore diet with just tree nuts and avocados added in. Unsure if the ability to digest them came with getting off PPIs, adjusting enzymes, or something to do with the operation where the doctors found part of my intestines twisted and fixed it.

trents Grand Master

I can no longer tolerate hemp whereas formerly I could use it without issue. Same with avocados and chia seeds. This change happened over the course of a summer two years ago. These seeds now give me violent emesis within 2-3 hours of consumption.

Scott Adams Grand Master

I just tested a package of "pure" powdered psyllium fiber with a Nima sensor, as it was causing me issues, and it was over 20ppm. It does not claim to be gluten-free, but it just goes to show you that it's important to verify that things you might use regularly are gluten-free. I'll have to toss this and buy one that specifies that it is gluten-free (and the test it!).

trents Grand Master

Scott,

Do you have any info on the availability of the Nima gluten sensors? They've been unavailable for months as have the capsules. I did some research back this summer and the original developer of the sensor sold the rights to some medical supply company who seems to have production on hold for now. Not sure if that is because they have switched priorities to COVID related products or what.

Scott Adams Grand Master

I just did a google search for Nima Sensor and it seems to be available at fsastore.com, and the peanut version is at Best Buy:

image.png

trents Grand Master

Thanks, Scott.

DJFL77I Experienced

its sold old at fsastore..     why are these things so impossible to find / buy

NIMA PORTABLE GLUTEN SENSOR - TEST FOOD FOR GLUTEN - EASY TO USE - VVV 427 | eBay