• Ads by Google:
     




    Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

    Ads by Google:



       Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

  • Announcements

    • admin

      Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

      This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
3 3
lilo

Airborne gluten?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

 There are a lot of threads on this forum and other sites about this. I always try to be careful when i see gluten containing stuff around me,but sometimes i went to a bakery to buy my family a bread.The oven is not too near to where i pay . And i buy it in evening when they already finish baking.I dont think i will go to there again but do you think that i hurt my body by going there before? (Theres a smell of freshly baked bread there always but i didnt see flour dust or particles on air)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:


16 minutes ago, lilo said:

 There are a lot of threads on this forum and other sites about this. I always try to be careful when i see gluten containing stuff around me,but sometimes i went to a bakery to buy my family a bread.The oven is not too near to where i pay . And i buy it in evening when they already finish baking.I dont think i will go to there again but do you think that i hurt my body by going there before? (Theres a smell of freshly baked bread there always but i didnt see flour dust or particles on air)

There is probably flour in the air.  I work in a gluten-free bakery and you can wipe down the counter and thre next morning, there is a thin layer of flour that has floated down from the air.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kareng said:

There is probably flour in the air.  I work in a gluten-free bakery and you can wipe down the counter and thre next morning, there is a thin layer of flour that has floated down from the air.

Ditto XD, same your always getting that dust off, I am scared of non gluten free baking areas due to this. HECK I work with nut based flours and I would think they would not fly far but I guess the sifter does cause "Poofs".....that "poof" from opening a bag of flour.....yeah imagine that with gluten.....scary thought.

Flour can stay airborne for hours, you inhale it, some goes down your throat mixed with mucus...you digest it....glutened. Some people can have a kind of immune response from directly inhaled flour. and then their is always that "fight or flight" we get from the smell. I mean you body knows that smell means your going to get sick and triggers a fight or flight response in many of us....like anxiety attack.

I got a antipollution mask that works wonderful check out respro.com I got the techno mask for the high volume air flow and ease of breathing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it’s a mine field when there’s an in store bakery. I usually cover my mouth and nose with a scarf as I pass by the bakery. One supermarket near me (in the UK) has put their gluten free isle right next to the in store bakery. It makes me wonder sometimes about who’s running these places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way.. Sometimes a small loaf of bread is baked in kitchen.Can i enter to kitchen after a few hours later? I know you all mentioned that flour can float in air for hours but the amount of flour used is very little .. And i will have to cook my food in kitchen :blink:^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:


1 minute ago, lilo said:

By the way.. Sometimes a small loaf of bread is baked in kitchen.Can i enter to kitchen after a few hours later? I know you all mentioned that flour can float in air for hours but the amount of flour used is very little .. And i will have to cook my food in kitchen :blink:^_^

First off as a paranoid sensitive celiac I do not get why the flipping flack anyone with celiac would allow gluten flour in their own kitchen -_-

OK paranoia aside damage control. First try using freezer paper for fixing and prepping the gluten bread on to prevent CC in the kitchen. Use new freezer paper to prep your food later, Make sure different mixers, spoons, bread pans are used.  Personally I would do a sub with gluten free options. I do not even allow anyone to bring gluten foods in my house (I have joked they would be removed at gun point if they did).  As I sometimes cook in others kitchens I am giving that above advice about the freezer paper and separate cookware. Few hours later should be fine. make sure they are careful no telling where the flour could dust. Use a dust mask if you wish, food prep gloves and vigorous hand washing between food prep stations is always a good habit, perhaps leave the water running to prevent CC with touching the knob.

Unsure of your situation as in if at someone else house or your own but do not compromise your health to be nice. If it is your house you have the right to say no and opt for gluten free alternatives. I do this with my family for the holidays, if visiting someone else bring your own food prepped at your house in meal prep boxes to be reheated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

First off as a paranoid sensitive celiac I do not get why the flipping flack anyone with celiac would allow gluten flour in their own kitchen -_-

OK paranoia aside damage control. First try using freezer paper for fixing and prepping the gluten bread on to prevent CC in the kitchen. Use new freezer paper to prep your food later, Make sure different mixers, spoons, bread pans are used.  Personally I would do a sub with gluten free options. I do not even allow anyone to bring gluten foods in my house (I have joked they would be removed at gun point if they did).  As I sometimes cook in others kitchens I am giving that above advice about the freezer paper and separate cookware. Few hours later should be fine. make sure they are careful no telling where the flour could dust. Use a dust mask if you wish, food prep gloves and vigorous hand washing between food prep stations is always a good habit, perhaps leave the water running to prevent CC with touching the knob.

Unsure of your situation as in if at someone else house or your own but do not compromise your health to be nice. If it is your house you have the right to say no and opt for gluten free alternatives. I do this with my family for the holidays, if visiting someone else bring your own food prepped at your house in meal prep boxes to be reheated.

 Thank you for your reply! I live with my parents , who eat gluten every single day , and i vigorously wash my hands, don't touch ANYWHERE  but my food when im cooking. I clean again  shared kitchen equipments such as glass cutting board , stainless stell pans,pots and things like that (no wood ,plastic or teflon of course). My main concern is : My mother bakes a sourdough bread once a week then cleans the kitchen.For example ,she prepared dough now and i will go to kitchen 10 hours later,for breakfast. I won't be home when she bakes but I will come back like 2-4 hours after baking.  Do you think its safe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


16 minutes ago, lilo said:

 Thank you for your reply! I live with my parents , who eat gluten every single day , and i vigorously wash my hands, don't touch ANYWHERE  but my food when im cooking. I clean again  shared kitchen equipments such as glass cutting board , stainless stell pans,pots and things like that (no wood ,plastic or teflon of course). My main concern is : My mother bakes a sourdough bread once a week then cleans the kitchen.For example ,she prepared dough now and i will go to kitchen 10 hours later,for breakfast. I won't be home when she bakes but I will come back like 2-4 hours after baking.  Do you think its safe?

I think you are fine.  You are wiping off anything that was left out before using.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2017 at 10:28 AM, lilo said:

 Thank you for your reply! I live with my parents , who eat gluten every single day , and i vigorously wash my hands, don't touch ANYWHERE  but my food when im cooking. I clean again  shared kitchen equipments such as glass cutting board , stainless stell pans,pots and things like that (no wood ,plastic or teflon of course). My main concern is : My mother bakes a sourdough bread once a week then cleans the kitchen.For example ,she prepared dough now and i will go to kitchen 10 hours later,for breakfast. I won't be home when she bakes but I will come back like 2-4 hours after baking.  Do you think its safe?

If you are still worried you can also ask that the dry ingredients be mixed/poured outside (eg. on a deck, balcony etc.) and only be brought inside once combined with the wet ingredients. I believe someone else on the board once posted this as a suggestion, and I took it up to avoid roommate mutiny. Before I insisted on this, I would always get sick when roommates baked, even if I wasn't there at the time or hid in my room during. It might be however, that your current method is fine for you though - not a lot of studies in this area to prove anything either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

3 3

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      108,577
    • Total Posts
      941,941
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      66,525
    • Most Online
      3,093

    Newest Member
    marie ralph
    Joined
  • Popular Now

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • As was explained to me - Your gut heals and yes, you probably could eat gluten again and not feel any ill affect, for a while.  However....!  The damage is starting all over again.  Like picking a scab off of a sore.  Sort of a nasty comparison but accurate.  Celiac never goes away.    Google the banana babies.  Very interesting as it fully explains why celiac was once thought to be a childhood disease, 
    • I take Slice of Life gummy multivitamins. I think it's free of all that stuff.  
    • I wouldn't worry about the oven.  We moved in a rental house short term while waiting for our current home to go through and  I wiped out the oven and then used it.  No problems.  When visiting a friend who cooks pies all the time  I just pop a loose piece of tin foil over my stuff.  I think covering the stuff is more for my mental health than anything else! 
    • Wouldn't!  Couldn't!   Shouldn't!   Oh my!  I hear  what some are saying about keeping areas clean, but no way.  I get not wanting to cook for a big group but a couple pretty easy, and cost effective, thoughts are a simple crock pot or two of chili, taco bar, potato bar or a salad bar.  I just did a Xmas party for 22 people, only 4 of us are gluten free, and did crock pots of chili.  for bread I bought gluten free hamburger buns, sliced them and then quartered them.  It made great bread garlic bread.. 
    • Jmg, Here is a nice thread where Ennis_tx has posted many dairy free link/resources in case you have not read this thread yet. Also to answer  your main question about Casein and as Awol noted about their being a difference about lactose and casein since lactose free cheese can still cause problems. See these livestrong links that summarizes the difference between lactose and casein and why it is usually the casein most people react too. https://www.livestrong.com/article/396733-types-of-casein-protein/ https://www.livestrong.com/article/412339-what-cheese-has-no-casein-or-lactose/ I would also review your medicine's.  I had a bad reaction to my BP medicine Losartan causing my dairy allergy to resurface. after 6 weeks off it my villi seems to be able to tolerate dairy again. I hope this is helpful and I hope you find out what is causing you your dairy problems. A little testing should help you determine if it the casein or the lactose in the dairy is the problem. Lactaid can help with the lactose problem.  Or as Awol noted try a lactose free cheese to see if dairy still bother's you . . . then it might the casein or check your medicine's as it was in my case causing my dairy problem. People do grow out of a dairy problem often.  . . so don't give up on it entirely. Check back in 6 months and see if your villi have healed.   Mine did. I had a terrible milk allergy as a kid but grew out of it in time.  Thanks be to God. But do check your medicine (if you  take any) their might be something else ( that have taken for granite is safe) that might be causing unknown villi blunting as the Losartan did/was causing in my cause . . . causing my dairy allergy to flare back up. ****this is not medical advice only my experience after recognizing my BP medicine Losartan had caused  Villi blunting issues leading to my dairy allergy. I hope you find some of this information helpful and hang in there you can get better from a dairy allergy. I have from changing my medicine to a non-blunting medicine. posterboy,  
  • Upcoming Events