• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
1 1
Lex_

Gluten vs. Fructan

Rate this topic

Hi everyone. 

I was just wondering if anyone knew of an easy way to determine whether one's gastrointestinal reaction is to gluten or to fructan.

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by Lex_
typo

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

3 hours ago, Lex_ said:

Hi everyone. 

I was just wondering if anyone knew of an easy way to determine whether one's gastrointestinal reaction is to gluten or to fructan.

Cheers,

Lex

Hi Lex,

First step would be to eliminate celiac. Gluten is well established as the cause of celiac.

If you eliminate celiac but still react to gluten foods then it becomes trickier. Non Celiac Gluten sensitivity NCGS is still not universally accepted and there are differing views on whether gluten, or another part of the grain may be causing symptoms. Fructan, polyols and more are cited. There's some research that suggests Fodmaps are a liklier cause in those with IBS like symptoms. 

But first things first. Have you eliminated celiac? :)

• Like 1

Symptoms from many illnesses often overlap, so you can not diagnose celiac disease based on them (not to mention that there are over 200 possible symptoms).    Best to get a simple blood test.  Learn more about testing:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jmg said:

Hi Lex,

First step would be to eliminate celiac. Gluten is well established as the cause of celiac.

If you eliminate celiac but still react to gluten foods then it becomes trickier. Non Celiac Gluten sensitivity NCGS is still not universally accepted and there are differing views on whether gluten, or another part of the grain may be causing symptoms. Fructan, polyols and more are cited. There's some research that suggests Fodmaps are a liklier cause in those with IBS like symptoms. 

But first things first. Have you eliminated celiac? :)

Hi Jmg, and thanks for your response.

2 weeks ago I went gluten free without having tested for celiac. I know now that that was a mistake but unfortunately I did not know at the time. As I have been informed, to do a blood test one have to be on gluten for at least 6 weeks prior to the test.

In any case, by the end of the first gluten free week, I felt exceptional improvements in typical IBS symptoms. I had higher energy, and I generally felt much better. By the end of the second week, however, some of the symptoms began to recur, like fatigue and upset stomach. 

I know I am a noob and probably I should wait longer for my system to stabilise, so, I apologise if my post is noobish.

13 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Symptoms from many illnesses often overlap, so you can not diagnose celiac disease based on them (not to mention that there are over 200 possible symptoms).    Best to get a simple blood test.  Learn more about testing:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

Unfortunately it's too late for the blood test unless I go back on gluten again, which is not something I want to do.

Thanks for the link you shared. It is instructive.

Ads by Google:

18 hours ago, Lex_ said:

2 weeks ago I went gluten free without having tested for celiac. I know now that that was a mistake but unfortunately I did not know at the time. As I have been informed, to do a blood test one have to be on gluten for at least 6 weeks prior to the test.

In any case, by the end of the first gluten free week, I felt exceptional improvements in typical IBS symptoms. I had higher energy, and I generally felt much better. By the end of the second week, however, some of the symptoms began to recur, like fatigue and upset stomach. 

I know I am a noob and probably I should wait longer for my system to stabilise, so, I apologise if my post is noobish.

A mistake that many of, myself included, made! Don't feel bad about it, feel good that you've at least identified a possible cause. :)

I was faced with a similar choice a few years ago and opted to go back onto gluten for a 'challenge' to see if I had celiac. I kept a food diary during this time and tracked the reappearance of symptoms, some gastro intestinal but primarily neurological. I tested negative for celiac much to my surprise, but the challenge confirmed gluten as an issue, so NCGS is best diagnosis I'm likely to get for now at least. 

Your question re fructans is a good one and not easy to answer. The fact you've asked it suggests you've done some research and are aware of the unclear science once celiac is excluded. For what its worth I think that what may happen is that some people who get IBS relief from a gluten free diet are indeed correct to avoid the foods, but incorrect in identifying gluten as the cause.  They may actually be reacting to fructans, polyols, or other parts of the wheat,carbs rather than proteins. 

However there are also well documented cases where gluten itself is the culprit, some more info on this here and I believe this is where I sit.  

You need to decide what level of uncertainty you can live with. Medical assistance will depend on reintroducing gluten. If you do it with a food diary you may learn more about your reactions, maybe even be able to customise your diet to your own body. Most importantly, you would properly exclude celiac as a cause, which is important because its a serious condition and if you do have it, far better to know for both you and your family who may also want to be tested. 

Finally, I collected some links and info here some time ago, it may be useful. 

Best of luck :)

Matt

• Like 1

On 11/21/2017 at 11:26 AM, Jmg said:

A mistake that many of, myself included, made! Don't feel bad about it, feel good that you've at least identified a possible cause. :)

I was faced with a similar choice a few years ago and opted to go back onto gluten for a 'challenge' to see if I had celiac. I kept a food diary during this time and tracked the reappearance of symptoms, some gastro intestinal but primarily neurological. I tested negative for celiac much to my surprise, but the challenge confirmed gluten as an issue, so NCGS is best diagnosis I'm likely to get for now at least. 

Your question re fructans is a good one and not easy to answer. The fact you've asked it suggests you've done some research and are aware of the unclear science once celiac is excluded. For what its worth I think that what may happen is that some people who get IBS relief from a gluten free diet are indeed correct to avoid the foods, but incorrect in identifying gluten as the cause.  They may actually be reacting to fructans, polyols, or other parts of the wheat,carbs rather than proteins. 

However there are also well documented cases where gluten itself is the culprit, some more info on this here and I believe this is where I sit.  

You need to decide what level of uncertainty you can live with. Medical assistance will depend on reintroducing gluten. If you do it with a food diary you may learn more about your reactions, maybe even be able to customise your diet to your own body. Most importantly, you would properly exclude celiac as a cause, which is important because its a serious condition and if you do have it, far better to know for both you and your family who may also want to be tested. 

Finally, I collected some links and info here some time ago, it may be useful. 

Best of luck :)

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thank you very much for a thorough response. Your link seems to cover pretty much all the questions one might have in my current situation. I appreciate it.

Have a wonderful day,

Lex

Ads by Google:

10 minutes ago, Lex_ said:

Hi Matt,

Thank you very much for a thorough response. Your link seems to cover pretty much all the questions one might have in my current situation. I appreciate it.

Have a wonderful day,

Lex

It's good to know it was of use, thanks for letting me know :) 

All the best,

Matt