• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Rate this topic

I'm probably the most annoying person on this forum. Lately I've been posting everydayūüė䬆 ok wondering a¬†few brand options for products just need a list....

Pickles:

Green olives:

Banana peppers:

Lunchmeat: turkey/salami/pepperoni

Hard/block cheese (cheddar or colby): (was told the meijer brand block cheese contained gluten through, that was by the store manager so don't know if it was fully accurate)

Marshmallows:

Vanilla and cinnamon:

Garlic powder:

That's it for now I'll probably think of more. Trying to add some easy things to my diet. 

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

8 minutes ago, Jherm21 said:

I'm probably the most annoying person on this forum. Lately I've been posting everydayūüė䬆 ok wondering a¬†few brand options for products just need a list....

Pickles:

Green olives:

Banana peppers:

Lunchmeat: turkey/salami/pepperoni

Hard/block cheese (cheddar or colby): (was told the meijer brand block cheese contained gluten through, that was by the store manager so don't know if it was fully accurate)

Marshmallows:

Vanilla and cinnamon:

Garlic powder:

That's it for now I'll probably think of more. Trying to add some easy things to my diet. 

Just read the ingredients?  Its very unlikely to have gluten in pickled stuff or cheese (except the beer cheese).  Never seen a marshmallow with gluten (I like Kraft because I think they are better).  I use McCormick for most spices & vanilla..  they are just spices.  Never seen a vanilla with gluten.  

IN the US, wheat will be clearly announced in the ingredients (its a law).  Rye is only in a few things like bread or crackers & its an ingredient so it will be listed as an ingredient.  Barley is listed as barley or malt (usually barley malt).  Brewers yeast sometimes contains gluten - so avoid.  Oats need to say gluten-free oats or the product needs to be listed as gluten-free.

Lots of pre-packed lunch meats actually say gluten free on them.  Go to the store and look!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kareng said:

Just read the ingredients?  Its very unlikely to have gluten in pickled stuff or cheese (except the beer cheese).  Never seen a marshmallow with gluten (I like Kraft because I think they are better).  I use McCormick for most spices & vanilla..  they are just spices.  Never seen a vanilla with gluten.  

IN the US, wheat will be clearly announced in the ingredients (its a law).  Rye is only in a few things like bread or crackers & its an ingredient so it will be listed as an ingredient.  Barley is listed as barley or malt (usually barley malt).  Brewers yeast sometimes contains gluten - so avoid.  Oats need to say gluten-free oats or the product needs to be listed as gluten-free.

Lots of pre-packed lunch meats actually say gluten free on them.  Go to the store and look!

Go to the store and look!

so demanding! :):) I should have stated that many people on the forums scare me and discourage me from venturing out into the gluten free world because of so much worry upon cross contamination (rightfully so) but also I feel like when people on these threads state they are constantly reacting to gluten free foods sold on the shelf, me as a semi new celiac get discouraged to try things other than chicken and potatoes. But I'm glad I got some insight on the marshmallows. Means I can make some candied yams for thanksgiving. Thanks for the advice I'll go shopping!

Karen,

Have you ever tried boars head or applegate lunchmeats? Any good?

Most Boarshead cold cuts are gluten free. Boarshead has been the only brand I would eat ever.

• Like 1

Ads by Google:

5 minutes ago, Jherm21 said:

Karen,

Have you ever tried boars head or applegate lunchmeats? Any good?

I buy both.  Never been glutened by them.   I do avoid the deli counter.  I choose those that are factory packaged.   

Edited by cyclinglady
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jherm21 said:

Go to the store and look!

so demanding! :):) I should have stated that many people on the forums scare me and discourage me from venturing out into the gluten free world because of so much worry upon cross contamination (rightfully so) but also I feel like when people on these threads state they are constantly reacting to gluten free foods sold on the shelf, me as a semi new celiac get discouraged to try things other than chicken and potatoes. But I'm glad I got some insight on the marshmallows. Means I can make some candied yams for thanksgiving. Thanks for the advice I'll go shopping!

There are people convinced they react to water....

Use some common sense and read labels. Most Celiacs don't post on here and most probably live their lives believing when a product says it is gluten-free that it is gluten-free.   I have seen people convinced they are reacting to a gluten-free product but it turns out to be something else.  Don't let people scare you if it makes no sense.  

Ads by Google:

If I look back to the few times I have been glutened, it was most likely food prepared by someone else (restaurants).  Usually when I was traveling.  But.... the travel was worth it.  You need to weigh the risks vs. the benefits.  It is why we keep saying there is a steep learning curve for celiacs.  For some going gluten free heals them fast.  For others, they need to indentify food intolerances. While for others, they must deal with other issues that complicate their healing.  But it can be done.  It just takes time and patience.  

Karen is right.

When I was a Newbie, I kept thinking that gluten-free bread was glutening me.  My hubby never reacted.  Turns out I had an issue with Xanthan Gum.  Now I bake for myself and never get a reaction.

I think there are degrees of gluten sensitivity and intolerances.  You just need to figure what works for you and that takes time.  

So, most of the foods you listed, I do not eat.   Not because of gluten, but of my various intolerances or dietary restrictions (e.g. diabetes).  We are all different and they way we cope with avoiding gluten can be very different too.  

I am going to fall off my diabetic wagon and eat a slice of my gluten-free pumpkin cream cheese cake roll on Thanksgiving though....and the mashed potatoes!  My blood sugar will take a hit, but my tummy will be happy!  

1 hour ago, cyclinglady said:

If I look back to the few times I have been glutened, it was most likely food prepared by someone else (restaurants).  Usually when I was traveling.  But.... the travel was worth it.  You need to weigh the risks vs. the benefits.  It is why we keep saying there is a steep learning curve for celiacs.  For some going gluten free heals them fast.  For others, they need to indentify food intolerances. While for others, they must deal with other issues that complicate their healing.  But it can be done.  It just takes time and patience.  

Karen is right.

When I was a Newbie, I kept thinking that gluten-free bread was glutening me.  My hubby never reacted.  Turns out I had an issue with Xanthan Gum.  Now I bake for myself and never get a reaction.

I think there are degrees of gluten sensitivity and intolerances.  You just need to figure what works for you and that takes time.  

So, most of the foods you listed, I do not eat.   Not because of gluten, but of my various intolerances or dietary restrictions (e.g. diabetes).  We are all different and they way we cope with avoiding gluten can be very different too.  

I am going to fall off my diabetic wagon and eat a slice of my gluten-free pumpkin cream cheese cake roll on Thanksgiving though....and the mashed potatoes!  My blood sugar will take a hit, but my tummy will be happy!  

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. Have a good thanksgiving and go easy on the pie!ūüėä