This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please help interpret! Endomysial antibody screen and Titer

Lgerb6

Lgerb6 Rookie

I was positive for EMA and also highly positive in Gliadin and tissue Transglutaminase. After testing positive for the the EMA, they came back with this and I don’t exactly understand. Could someone help???

EMA Titer, S (IgA) 
Test                       Result                 Reference Value 
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
EMA Titer, S               1:40      High           Negative 
A positive serum IgA endomysial antibody indicates the presence of 
gluten sensitivity, as is seen in individuals with celiac 
disease, dermatitis herpetiformis and other gluten-sensitive 
disorders. Correlation with the clinical presentation and 
consideration for other diagnostic tests for gluten
sensitivity and gluten sensitive enteropathy is 
recommended. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

This might help.  You can review more by typing in “EMA” in the search box at the uppper left corner of the forum page.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/95734-please-explain-ema-testing/

Lgerb6 Rookie

Thank you! That does help. I was just confused about the “negative” under the EMA Titer when my level says “1:40 high”. Any insight there?

Lgerb6 Rookie
11 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

This might help.  You can review more by typing in “EMA” in the search box at the uppper left corner of the forum page.

11 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Thank you! That does help. I was just confused about the “negative” under the EMA Titer when my level says “1:40 high”. Any insight there? Just wondering if it’s further confirming or denying? I first thought confirming.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I would read it as “high”.  In any case, you were positive on the TTG and the DGP.    You only need one positive.  I had pretty severe intestinal damage and never even had a positive on the EMA or the TTG even when they were re-run several times during follow-up visits.  

Lgerb6 Rookie
1 minute ago, cyclinglady said:

I would read it as “high”.  In any case, you were positive on the TTG and the DGP.    You only need one positive.  I had pretty severe intestinal damage and never even had a positive on the EMA or the TTG even when they were re-run several times during follow-up visits.  

That is very helpful. Thank you so much.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Getting a celiac disease diagnosis is shocking.  Expect to go through all the stages of grief.  Your best defense is to learn how to read labels, avoid cross contamination and consider eating as few processed foods for a few weeks.  It may speed healing (wish someone would have advised me to do so).  You might keep a food journal because celiacs tend to have leaky guts (this is a real thing) causing food intolerances that often resolve with healing.  Lactose intolerance is probably the most common.  You just have to experiment.  

The bottom line is that soon you will feel so much better!  Just be patient.  It took a while for you to get sick and it will take time to recover.  ?

If you need to vent, ask a product question, or whatever, we are here to help!  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Don't go gluten free until you find out if they want you to get an endoscopy which they should schedule. Eat gluten every single day until the endoscopy is done. 

Gemini Experienced

With a positive EMA and a positive tTg, that is a slam dunk for Celiac Disease.  If you read about testing results, the odds are 99% that you have it. You also had very high numbers on your testing so that adds to the diagnosis.  At this point, the biopsy, if you have it done, is to check for the amount of damage, and is not needed for a diagnosis.

I declined the biopsy as I was very sick at diagnosis.  The doctor who ran my blood panel said there was no doubt I had it due to the high numbers on my blood work.  I have been gluten-free for 12 years and every single doctor I have ever seen since then, who whined about me not having the biopsy, shut up about it once they saw my initial blood work.  The difference in my health since going gluten free was nothing short of amazing. I am sure you will have the same results, once you go gluten free.

frieze Community Regular
On 11/22/2017 at 11:25 PM, Lgerb6 said:

Thank you! That does help. I was just confused about the “negative” under the EMA Titer when my level says “1:40 high”. Any insight there?

• the results are badly formatted, the negative should fall under reference values as a separate column.

Archived