• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Rate this topic

I have just had my blood tests for coeliac and one was normal I’m guessing that was iga and my other was 41 which I think was the ttg which I guessed was pretty high but have now seen people getting results of 300! So now I’m thinkong mine isn’t very high and maybe I don’t have coeliac? What were other people results and outcomes? 

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

What matters is not how you compare to others, but how you compare to the normal range for your test.  Different test manufacturers use different scales.  The IgA you refer to as being normal might be total IgA, not celiac-related IgA.  Total IgA is often run with celiac tests to see if the celiac test is valid. (If total IgA is low a negative celiac-related IgA test may not be accurate).

Thank u for replying, My gp said the high normal is 10 and I am 41. Waiting to have my biopsy done. Have been so Ill since last December with lots of neurological problems have had brain mri and have a small lesion on my brain but not necciserily connected to ms but have to have a repeat scan. After having stomach issues for years my gp did the celiac blood test and I’m hoping I can get some answers and make myself better as my neurologist has said all my neurological symptoms could be connected to the celiac.  

A brain lesion not related to MS could be a gluten ataxia issue.  Gluten ataxia is when the immune system attacks purkinje cells in the brain as a gluten response.  These lesions are sometimes called UBO's which I think is short for unidentified bright object. There are threads on the forum about gluten ataxia and UBO's.  Gluten ataxia can make it difficult to walk and coordinate muscles.   Those symptoms should improve on the gluten-free diet in time, but it can take quite a while.  B-vitamins may be a good thing to have checked.

Edited by GFinDC

Ads by Google:

Oh that’s interesting to know! My main neurologicaL symptoms have been facial numbness, dizziness, really bad brain fog, minutes of complete confusion and getting all my words muddled up and forgetting words, headaches, pressure in my eyes and vision problems but never loss of vision, fatigue, nausea, chest pains, breathlessness, left side of my face getting stuck for 10/20 seconds like a spasm and the list goes on but some days feel so ill it scares me! But did have weeks in between when I’ve been fine! I have had so many blood test and everything is fine apart from ttg and vitamin D which I have been given tablets for now. I am hoping that it can all be bought under control with diet and that coeliac is the case as I’ve spent so long thinking I have ms which I am hoping is not the case! I will have to see what happens with the biopsy but thinking 41 isn’t really that high compared to what I have seen other people’s results be!