This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten and Casein neurological issues, mainly hypnopompic / hypnagogic hallucinations

VikingMac7

VikingMac7 Newbie

I was tested (last year 2016) for all of my sensitivities. Casein and Gluten obviously were heavy in my results. Before I got tested, I kind of suspected, because my mom tested positive for Celiac Disease. Before I went gluten free / dairy free, I was having a ton of symptoms, ranging from canker sores, trouble breathing, feeling like I was about to choke on every bite of food, feeling like I was about to swallow my tongue, seborrhoeic dermatitis (especially in mustache area), dry skin, numbness in extremities like legs, hands, arms and feet, chills, extreme sickness, losing weight, insomnia, panic attacks, anxiety attacks, diarrhea, constant acid reflux / GERD, hiccups, etc.. I mean I had the whole gamut of issues. But this one issue really is the worst for me and I always wonder if other people with Celiac or Casein intolerance have this too. 

Whenever I get glutened or ingest casein, I'll be very paranoid and fearful, and it usually begins as I'm waking up from sleep. I'll have what's known as a hypnopompic hallucination and it's typically as I'm coming out of sleep (half asleep / half awake), I'll have a deep epiphany about something and it'll feel like God is judging me or God has shown me something that I don't want to see. I no longer subscribe to any religious faiths, though at one time I was an extreme Christian. But I wake up shaking, with my heart beating fast and feel very terrified for the rest of the day. I'll be obsessing over what I felt like God was showing me in that epiphany, like I'm about to go to hell or something. After going gluten free and dairy free, I no longer have these issues, which proved to me that they weren't a real 'spiritual phenomena.'

I have been gluten free for almost a year now and decided to try eating a GLUTEN FREE pizza two days ago. Nothing happened the night I ate the pizza, but this morning (2 days later), I got another hypnopompic hallucination dealing with spiritual things again. So now I know that's the culprit. I was wondering if others here have had anything similar happen? They wake up thinking God is speaking to them or showing them something or they see dead people or any spooky s$#& like that. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

knitty kitty Grand Master

Open Original Shared Link

This article discusses how wheat and dairy products can produce opioids that can affect the brain and mess with your mind.  

Yes, I react to dairy.  I have had some pretty weird experiences after consuming dairy.  Yep, I would wake up in a panic with scary spiraling thoughts. 

Also vitamin and mineral deficiencies can sometimes alter your brain functions and cause altered mental states (like the B vitamins niacin, B12, and thiamine). Because these vitamins are water soluble, they can be lost or used up quickly when you're exposed to dairy or gluten, leaving you deficient and foggy minded.  

Hope this helps.

Archived